PDA

View Full Version : Truck shipping recommendations?

Tom Loizeaux
05-08-2005, 10:47 AM
I believe somewhere in this forum a trucking company was recommended for shipping large speakers accross country. I did a SEARCH, but couldn't find it.
Does anyone have a specific company to recommend to do this...both cost effective and willing to wrap/box, pick up, and handle carefully?

Thanks,

Tom

saeman
05-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Tom: Have you ever used Forward Air?? I have used them almost exclusively for large speakers. CHEAPER than any truck freight line that I have contacted, and quicker too. A couple of limitations - They're only available near major airports and you must drop off at their location and pick up too. Delivery is available from them to your home but the cost can add up. Example - I shipped, just this past Monday, a pair of 4333B's in factory boxes along with two heavy steel stands, from Chicago to LA. 434 pounds with a total cost of $142.13. Truck freight would have been over twice that and from east coast to west they would be terminal handled at least twice, if not three times and subject to increased damage potential. I dropped them off on Monday afternoon and they were available for pickup in L.A. on Thursday morning. Have used these guys a lot - L300's to LA last year, Olympus from Phoenix to Chicago, Veronas from SF to Chicago, etc. etc. and never a damage problem. They also, for an added cost, will supply shipping containers (theirs). You put your stuff in at origin and take it out at destination. I almost always crate before shipping. Check their web site and give them a try. www.forwardair.com (http://www.forwardair.com/) Location and contact info is available. Rick

Wardsweb
05-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I will secong Forward Air. I've shipped large speakers, walnut & glass cabinets, and salamander racks within the US. I even shipped a set of C38 to Korea without a problem.

Titanium Dome
05-08-2005, 01:45 PM
and salamander racks .

Salamander Design racks, right? Or racks for salamanders?

I've used Pilot Air with success, including many shipments of 400#+ on a pallet. Same caveats, though: major cities, major airports, drop off, pick up, etc.