PDA

View Full Version : Introducing: Project Resurrection, ‘der Phoenix’, maybe?

briang
05-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Some misguided soul decided to paint some poor pair of JBL L96 in white. I saw them on ebay and they did not sell (no wonder) so I approached the seller offline after the auction ended with a lowball and it was accepted.

Project Goal: Bring back the wood look.

Plans: Strip paint, fill holes, sand veneer, refinish (ala Steve Gonzales' methods). Send drivers for repair (Midwest Speaker Repair, Saint Paul, MN), Re-cover the grilles (brown), put system back together and ENJOY!

Here are the introduction pictures: Note holes for hanging in side of cabinet, note the missing foam (and dead spyder/suspension too)...:blink:

boputnam
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
All-in-all, you are one lucky cowboy! Nice...

briang
05-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Step 1: Remove drivers.
Step 2. Strip paint.

Here are some pictures in progress...

I'm very concerned that the white paint is deep into the grain and may never be completely sanded out (unless I sand through the veneer).

briang
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
With the cabinets cleaned of the paint, I used dowels with Elmer's wood glue to fill the holes (fit perfectly) and sanded the cabinets down a bit.

Of note, the sides of the cabinet appear to have veneer on both sides (in and out) must have been simpler for production to buy the wood that way...:blink:

GordonW
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
This is one case where judicious limited use of a chemical paint stripper may be the trick to removing the white paint from the grain. Hopefully, others with more experience with specific strippers will chime in to point toward which ones would be appropriate...

Regards,
Gordon.

4313B
05-10-2005, 10:58 AM
This is one case where judicious limited use of a chemical paint stripper may be the trick to removing the white paint from the grain. Hopefully, others with more experience with specific strippers will chime in to point toward which ones would be appropriate...
I'd just build new, mirror imaged boxes...
They're awfully easy to make and much less hassle.

Fisherdude
05-11-2005, 08:25 AM

Regards,
Gordon.

I do a bit of wood refinishing. There are several not-too-nasty strippers available, such as citrus-based. I would try one of these, plus a stiff plastic bristle scrub brush, used gently so as not to risk damaging the veneer while it's soft from the stripper.

Might be worth a try.

Clay

briang
05-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I do a bit of wood refinishing. There are several not-too-nasty strippers available, such as citrus-based. I would try one of these, plus a stiff plastic bristle scrub brush, used gently so as not to risk damaging the veneer while it's soft from the stripper.

Might be worth a try.

Clay

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.:) :cheers:

Giskard, I've no wood working tools as yet (router, table saw, etc), but I like your idea.:applaud:

briang
05-14-2005, 07:05 PM
The project is complete. However as I went I took less and less pictures. My concern over paint in the grain was realized, I spent many pained hours sanding and picking the paint from the grain using a utility knife blade...tedious but it kept me busy and in the garage (which I call the Men's crisis center).

I'll post final pictures tomorrow or Monday.

Right now I'm listening to them. I think they sound great, but obviously they don't go quite as deep as my L-112s.

Midwest Speaker Repair of St. Paul, MN repaired the woofers. JBL authorized. One woofer had a discontinuity and had to be reconed, so I decided to have BOTH reconed! Midwest also recovered the grilles in a factory like brown.

I added dynomat (selectively) to the interior walls (because I had it and like to experiment), I've no idea if it will really make any difference other than reducing interior cabinet volume about ~0.5%.

They sound nice.

I followed Steve G's refinishing methods.

Again, pictures to follow soon.

briang
05-17-2005, 07:19 PM
As promised, pictures...:applaud:

DMMD
05-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah BABY! :D How many coats of DEFT on there Brian?

briang
05-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah BABY! :D How many coats of DEFT on there Brian?

Um, :blink: six or so, tough to tell with rattle cans, but I did about six coats, the first two looked like they just soaked in. I then coated enough to ensure a nice dull lustre --this also helped assure that orange peel is absent.

johnaec
05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Amazing!

John

briang
05-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Amazing!

John

Thanks!:)

Titanium Dome
05-19-2005, 06:27 AM
What a save! Looks great. :thmbsup:

Stonehenge Man
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Might be worth a try.

Clay

Indeed, Citristrip is what I will use on my 1937 Philco soon.

Stonehenge Man
05-23-2005, 01:43 PM
You are a credit to the hobby! Nice job Brian:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

JBLnsince1959
05-23-2005, 02:16 PM
great job, they look beautiful :applaud:

briang
05-23-2005, 05:20 PM
You are a credit to the hobby! Nice job Brian:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks. I'm rather proud of the job myself. :)

speakerdave
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm with Giskard; I wouldn't have tried it, but you made it happen and a nice job too. Good work!

David

boputnam
05-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey, "speakerdave" - long time quiet, now you're seemingly everywhere!! Cool! Glad to see you here.

bbrown
05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Very nice job! I had stored some L56s for a friend. Packed in the original boxes no less. The walnut was flawless, other than not having been oiled in forever. I wiped them down and put two coats of BLO on them and they look great. In another couple of months, I will probably do it for him again.

Bruce