PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Equalizers

DMMD
05-06-2005, 11:09 AM
For the JBL inclined...

Top recommended Eq's that work well for JBL 3-ways and large format monitors?

How regularly do you use your EQ?
Why do you prefer it?
What features "work" well as filters?
What don't you like about it?
What would you rather be using?

JBLnsince1959
05-06-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't know about the top five, but I use an AudioControl C-131 1/3 octave egualizer ( true Q).retailed around $1000 ( I got it new much cheaper ). I don't use it often, just when I'm in the mood.

boputnam
05-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I winced when I saw this thread - there's been quite a bit offered-up over the years, but is sure is not orgainzed!

Anyway, here's what my Search tossed up - maye this will help your choosing?

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=63765

Titanium Dome
05-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I winced when I saw this thread - there's been quite a bit offered-up over the years, but is sure is not orgainzed!

Anyway, here's what my Search tossed up - maye this will help your choosing?

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=63523

That link worked well...as in "not." :D

DMMD
05-06-2005, 05:38 PM
The "wince" was exactly WHY I started the thread... do you know HOW many different opinions there are in those threads? Yes, there are many choices... but to have some sort of coop consensus would be quite helpful to anyone who was approaching this topic.

I am finding more and more that it is easy to flesh out the general trends in JBL monitors and speaker components on this forum... but seeing as though things like an EQ is a necessary part of many of the more advanced JBL monitor designs I thought that a list of sorts would be useful.

Like amps, the ability of a particular eq to just "work" as in "fit well" with JBL is valuable information... yet, unlike amps the technical aspects of an EQ boiled down to plug and play features/preferences would be very useful.

This is not meant to be a newbie question...:blink:...but an attempt to try to make some sort of sense about the posts "over the years" that are "all over the place" figuratively and literally.

pmakres1
05-06-2005, 08:02 PM
For over 30 years I have used Soundcraftsmen equalizers. Yes, I realize the company folded up many years ago, but I bought my first one in 1975 when the company was still in existence, and as I added additional systems, I grabbed more of these units on eBay. I now have five of them: two RP2215-R's, two RP2212's, and one RP2204 as a spare. I also have an AS1000 Audio spectrum analyzer. I need a microphone for this unit.

I use them all regularly in my four systems. I keep the spare in the unlikely event one of my eq's needs service.

I prefer them because they are clean, transparent sounding, and very reliable. In over 30 years I have had ONE repair incident. They were reasonably priced for the level of performance and reliability they offered. They are also attractive units (especially the 2215's). Their transparent quality is a plus with the JBL's, IMO.

The unity or zero gain controls are very useful. I believe the filters are a slightly better quality in the RP2215-R's, and have a +/- 15db boost/cut range as opposed to the +/- 12db in the other units. The 2215's also have flat detents in the sliders.

The only negative thing I can say is the controls can get a bit sticky with age. But, most of the time I "set and forget" so this is not a big issue.

I can't really say I'd rather use anything else..though there are some other very nice units. The Audio Control third-octave models come to mind, though Soundcraftsmen also made a very nice third-octave model. I never really saw a big need for that much control, however. Crown's EQ2 was also a very good and extremely flexible unit, though it lacked the unity gain controls. I'd still snag one of these if I had the extra $ and found a real clean one. I've always had a lot of respect for this unit.

If anyone has one of those AS1000 mics let me know!

Peter

Ian Mackenzie
05-06-2005, 08:54 PM
For the JBL inclined...

Top recommended Eq's that work well for JBL 3-ways and large format monitors?
JBL, White, KK

How regularly do you use your EQ? Never had to
Why do you prefer it? N/a
What features "work" well as filters? Use a true "gated" analyser and set the system flat with the L Pads in the near field first, then decide "if" you need an equaliser.
What don't you like about it? Generally their use is abused.
What would you rather be using?Room correction system. .

Bo's response was shorter than I would have expected, perhaps he will elaborate more later. It's a bit like buying Noise Gates or any other effects/processor, if you don't know how to use them they are not much good.The publication below will answer all your questions thoroughly and correctly.

Order Live Sound Mixing by Duncan Fry available on Amazon ISBN 0 646 11235 X .

Generally however while equalisers appear in use with monitors professionally I am not aware they are a necessesity in a home listening environment. If you are using the monitors for recording processes continue shopping. They are generally used in PA foldback to cure mic feedback and FOH correction and in recording applications where exacting requirements are the norm. If you feel you need an equaliser for home use firstly consider addressing "room related" sound problems particularly if the room is large or live. Some treatment of the room maybe needed. An equaliser will not solve all your problems and when used correctly they are used for minor adjustments.

Ian

pmakres1
05-06-2005, 09:02 PM
. If you feel you need an equaliser for home use firstly consider addressing "room related" sound problems particularly if the room is large or live. An equaliser will not solve all your problems and when used correctly they are used for minor adjustments.

Ian

:applaud: :applaud:

Very, very true. Especially large, bare walls with their attendant reflections. I have found acoustic foam can make a dramatic improvement in the stereo image and "warmth" of the sound. Since the foam deadens things up quite a bit, it can tend to squash the high end a bit. Your equalizer can help correct this little drawback while retaining the benefits of the improved acoustics. And of course, it can satisfy your personal preferences as well.

Peter :)

Mr. Widget
05-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I too am surprised Bo didn't want to elaborate...:hmm:

How regularly do you use your EQ? A bit of an odd question. If I use one in a particular system, it is always on. I use an RTA or Clio to measure the system and with tweaks by ear set the EQ and then it is part of that system.

Why do you prefer it? If it is a good EQ, most are not, then it will take out some of the annoying peaks that ALL speakers and especially horn systems have. Occasionally I'll also use one to boost the HF or low end of a system... I usually don't though.

What features "work" well as filters? Not sure what you mean.

What don't you like about it? I use Rane ME30s for my front three channels in my HT. They are OK, but for music I notice they add a harsh gritty sound quality. I know others use them and seem happy enough, but if you try a better unit, you'll see what I mean. For My main music system I was using a pair of White 4400s. They sound great, but are a little less intuitive in setting up due to their rotary knobs. They are also difficult to ground properly and not have some hum.

What would you rather be using? A couple of months ago I bought a digital unit made by DEQX. It is a preamp, crossover, analyzer, phase and time correction unit as well as a kick ass EQ. It is stunningly good (this coming from an anti digital luddite). It is also not inexpensive.

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2005, 01:26 AM
It is also not inexpensive.

Widget

Yep, you could buy a fine older used automobile for the price.:bouncy:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2005, 01:31 AM
I have used a Rane ME60 and GE60. Both were fine units for the 300 bucks they cost. Hell, I sold the ME60 for 350.00 after using it for a year. I still have the GE60 and its literaly new. I too had Soundcraft Eq's back in the 70's.

I have a gorgeous pair of White 4400's with balanced input and output transformers (options). Their a big step up from the Ranes. Message me if your interested.

Ken

boputnam
05-07-2005, 03:11 AM
OK, so beat on me - I had a gig tonight. The place where Ian sucked some serious face with the really cute barmaid (long since married off... :eek: ). Anyway...

Top recommended Eq's that work well for JBL 3-ways and large format monitors? KT DN370. Period.

How regularly do you use your EQ? 24/7

Why do you prefer it? It is necessary to accomodate room acoustics.

What features "work" well as filters? What do you mean? My latest is my favorite so-far. High-quality analogue, proportional Q, 30-band and two overlapping notch filters. Somebody knew what they were doing...

What don't you like about it? That I cannot hear it when I'm away from home...

What would you rather be using? Nothing. Why would I not have what I think reasonably works best? :blink:

Ian Mackenzie
05-07-2005, 04:23 AM
And what a sweetie she was .....! I think even The Widget with his impeccable taste would approve.

DMMD...don't mind Bo..he's drunk..again...how 's the couch Bo?

We kinda indulge in off topic traffic around here.

Ian

pmakres1
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
What features "work" well as filters? Not sure what you mean.
Widget

I wasn't too sure what this meant either. :hmm:

pmakres1
05-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Don't worry I will wash this post later...

Yes I think you should clean this post up. You should remove the picture of the band! :bouncy:

boputnam
05-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I hadn't seen that band pic. Ha!

But I agree - the babe is cute as ever! I really don't know if she married off - at the least she's wandered off from the bar. There are some replacements, but not nearly as cute. :no: Gotta watch that Ian - the babes simply go for him!

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2005, 12:22 PM

But I agree - the babe is cute as ever! I really don't know if she married off - at the least she's wandered off from the bar. There are some replacements, but not nearly as cute. :no: Gotta watch that Ian - the babes simply go for him!

Well, its either the shirt or the accent!

I'm betting on the accent!

Hmmm, or maybe they scense something mysterious "Down" under?

A large tweeter perhaps?

boputnam
05-07-2005, 12:38 PM
What would you rather be using? Nothing, as I said.

Ian whacked me by pm, so I must have not been explicit, somewhere.

I've tried, in order:

Things I've owned:

Rane DEQ 60 - not good enough for me. Sounded very obviously digital.
dbx231 - still have one of these (rehearsal rack, not enough space for 3RU)
dbx1231 - still have 3 of these (rehearsal rack, shop, and loose)
Ashly GQX3102 - still have 2 of these (studio/office rack and loose)
Ashly Protea 4.24 GS and RD - (roadrack, used on monitors only)
KT DN514+ - 2 of these (home stereo and roadrack, used on mains)
Of these, the KT DN514+ is a remarkable head-above ALL the comparable units. A simply amazing unit, IMO. The Ashly Protea GS is great, but a blind tastetest with my wifey found she immediately favored either the Ashly GQX3102 or even more, the KT DN514+. Both the latter(s) are warmer, more natural sounding. I do love the Protrea GS on the monitors (stage wedges to you guys... ;) ) - I have three Aux sends set to the same EQ channel so I can affect three mixes at once, uniformly; the fourth Aux send has it's own EQ channel (ear buds). The Protea is phenomenally powerful, but just not as warm as analogue - I prefer analogue for FOH. The dbx units are heads-above their competition. I like them, but their filters are low-Q, not my prefered design. Ashly's GQX filters are higher-Q - I keep the floater because it sounds great and at some "house" gigs I bring our rehearsal board and stuff the Ashly between me and their racks, bypassing their shit.

Things I've used on the road - built ins / house systems:

Rane GE60, ME30B, GE215,
Behringer - various
dbx215
BSS960
KT DN360
uncountable other pieces of crap stuffed into bent racks with "protective covers" on them my swiss army knife makes quick access through...
Of these, I would only consider the BSS or KT. Beautiful analogue units, very, very clean, great filters.

Now, if Oldmics get's enough time between load-in / load-out, he's used hella more gear brands than I ever will. Maybe he'll chime in...

Ian Mackenzie
05-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Yeah well I'm not sure about that...
Bo,

Great post, you must love knob farming.

If we focus on use of EQ at home JBL monitors (as per image below...a 4 way system) do you have an example of the curve you used for your home situation via the analyser on the laptop?

You appear to have mastered the art of Eq for monitors......as I recall the imaging and clarity was improved with the Eq setting you were using at the time.

DMMD might find your approach helpful.

Ian

boputnam
05-07-2005, 03:14 PM
...do you have an example of the curve you used for your home situation via the analyser on the laptop? No, dammit... :banghead:

I realized I had not stored a SmaartLIVE image only as I was packing all the stuff away. I use it many times a month on the road, but only oh-so-rarely in the home - simply don't tweak it all...

When I next feel the urge, I get the gear out in the home and make some images, both FFT and RTA. And, maybe I'll post a dig pic of the face of the KT DN514+ just for fun...

Ian Mackenzie
05-07-2005, 03:31 PM
I understand, I recall similar examples over in project May..maybe we can fish one out?

Ian

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I am curious Bo. When eq'ing the room do you put the system into mono and set each eq channel the same or do you do one channel at a time?

Ken

boputnam
05-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Either that, or commonly I do L only, then R, only.

Optimize the mic positioning (i.e., place it in the listening position but point it toward the channel being Q'd). Shut-off the channel not being Q'd.

In most small room instances, the channels are so similar as to not be different (hmm.. I actually typed that!). :rotfl:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Commonly I do L only, then R, only.

Believe it or not I have never tried that. So, I will.

Ken

Mr. Widget
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Always one channel at a time... there will be room issues that make it much more difficult to get it right if both channels are on. It is also best to EQ at 3-6 feet from each speaker, then try it at the listening position.

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Fair enough Widget, I will try it.