PDA

View Full Version : BSS 960 is here.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I will post my impressions as soon as possible. Here is a picture. It seems to be in excellent condition.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I installed and played briefly with the 960 today. My initial impressions are positive. It is clean and dead quiet.

I used an RTA to quickly set it up and played a few tunes. There is quite a difference between the fine tuning and standard slopes. I will read more this evening and try fine tuning it tomorrow. So far I am impressed. It has a different sound from the 4400 whites. I will try to be more specific in the next post

Ken

boputnam
05-05-2005, 08:21 PM
It seems to be in excellent condition. :no:

Pity - way too much Rack Rash. Send it along, man, I'll do what I can with it... :p

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
And I purposely made the photo poor quality to hide the rash!:bs:

scott fitlin
05-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I went ahead this morning, took out my White 4200A,s and installed the BSS 966 that I have. It is quiet, and clean! It is also a different sound than my Whites, and I am gonna play with and listen to the BSS this weekend!

As I stated in an earlier post, I do find myself actually preferring this with alot of todays source material!

Kind of made me go back and re look at my thread about modernizing, and in discussion with a buddy, well, maybe it is time to open my thinking to doing things differently than I am used to!

One very notable sonic change, and for the positive I might add, is in the midrange! It just seems to gel together in a more coherent way and seems more in focus, even though its an entirely different tonality than the Whites. Particularly, CD sounds better through my system, using the BSS EQ, and although I have been, and always will be a proponent of Vinyl, the truth is I use CD,s and CD has become a mainstay format of my programming. So endeavoring to get the best from this medium is in my better interest!

BSS is good!

:bouncy:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Thats an intersting post and look forward to replying with greater detail. You are right on about the midrange. Thats what I noticed first. However I have bairly given it a listen and will reply with greater detail later.

Ken

boputnam
05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Make sure you guys give the higher-Q setting a go. These are a more "precise" or restricted filtering of the problem frequencies, and should cause fewer ripple effects yielding an overall more clear, distinct rendering of the recorded material. Get out your RTA's and get busy...

Hey, Scotty - one day, when you're feeling the temptation, give the KT DN370 a try. The proportional Q is very cool, and the two overlapping high-Q notch filters I've found to be very "clarifying".

scott fitlin
05-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Make sure you guys give the higher-Q setting a go. These are a more "precise" or restricted filtering of the problem frequencies, and should cause fewer ripple effects yielding an overall more clear, distinct rendering of the recorded material. Get out your RTA's and get busy...

Hey, Scotty - one day, when you're feeling the temptation, give the KT DN370 a try. The proportional Q is very cool, and the two overlapping high-Q notch filters I've found to be very "clarifying".I have been looking at that one too! Got other things that take priority at the moment, but dont be surprised if I end up having one of those too.

Looks interesting!

Ian Mackenzie
05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Does it have a bypass function?

Ian

Ken Pachkowsky
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Ian

Not sure if your asking me or Bo on the KT. The BSS has a bypass. I don't think I have ever seen a high quality EQ without one?

Of course, I am sure I will be corrected on that.:banghead:

Ken

boputnam
05-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Does it have a bypass function? Same for the KT. Most hi-end ones do.

As well, on many high-end EQ's when the filter is in the null (unity) position the signal passes straight-through - that is, it bypasses the filter entirely.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
As well, on many high-end EQ's when the filter is in the null (unity) position the signal passes straight-through - that is, it bypasses the filter entirely.

Ditto on the BSS.

Mr. Widget
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Not all By-passes are created equally...

For some the active line stage is still in the circuit and for others it actually shorts the inputs directly to the outputs. Whites do it this way, so even if they blow up you can get your signal through them.

So how does the BSS sound????

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
So how does the BSS sound????

Widget

I like it. It definitely has a different sound than the Whites. Depth of soundstage, imaging and clarity are the key elements I strive for. Absolutely every piece of equipment I change in and out has different characteristics. Some improve things and others may not hurt but change others. Its all great but different.

The clarity is beautiful but I have only played with the settings a bit.

Julie has been very patient with my lack of attention to her over the last couple of months. She sat and watched me solder day after day for the last 6 weeks and its time to spend some quality time with her. She is a gem and tolerates this madness better than most would.

Later Boys

boputnam
05-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Julie has been very patient with my lack of attention to her over the last couple of months. Headline: "Dood get's BSS-960 and wifey rediscovers him"

I read that as a very positive review!

Hey Ken - go ahead and send her up here! She can visit the old 4345's... :p

Zilch
05-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I count five.... ;)

Ian Mackenzie
05-06-2005, 03:24 PM
What I was alluding to was the notion of The Widgets double blind test.

Ask darling wifey to flick the switch on the bypass (filters nulled) without you knowing the initial postion.

Then ask your self which is better.

(Obviously if the filters are in null position and you think its better with the graphic in the chain you are wanking yourself)

Franky, everytime I spend more money on Hifi I think its sounds better.

If its quieter then thats a plus however.

Ian

boputnam
05-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I count five.... ;) No doubt there will be more! :rotfl:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Here ya go Bo.

BSS 960

My impressions are as follows. Compared to others I have used including Rane ME-60, GE-60, White 4200 and 4400, the 960 is the quietist. In terms of sound quality it is great.

Although I enjoyed the Ranes I have owned, this is in a much higher class in every way.

I believe the White 4400’s may have a softer more subdued sound and have slightly more depth. If only they were as quiet! I am not suggesting they are noisy beyond tolerance, but compared to the 960 they are definitely noisier.

The picture is of the current settings in FINE mode.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase. I doubt I will trade this out for some time.

Ken

Mr. Widget
05-11-2005, 09:27 AM
I doubt I will trade this out for some time.

:rotfl:

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure...

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
05-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Such a jerk!:blah: Today I will be fine tuning these 1 channel at a time and post the final settings.

boputnam
05-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Although I enjoyed the Ranes I have owned, this is in a much higher class in every way. Duh...! Dood, they are not even comparable! Enjoy that thing.

But, my money is with the Widget on this one... :p

Ian Mackenzie
05-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Your mean the revolving door, I hope I don't see a crossover for sale..either that is.

:blah: :crying:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-12-2005, 09:28 AM
I hope I don't see a crossover for sale..either that is.

:blah: :crying:

Ian, I sure hope not with all the work that is going into this. I trust this is going to be superior to the Westlake. Seriously.

Ken

Ian Mackenzie
05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
About post 15

So who's toe nails are they?...I think I see nail polish......Ken?.....I never would have thought......?

Ian