PDA

View Full Version : Altec Fret Grille removal

clmrt
05-04-2005, 09:20 AM
I am lucky enough to have perfect grilles on my Sevilles. However, they are dusty, and one speakers' cloth is tinted from UV exposure.

I'd like to replace the cloth with new black. I see a brad nail at top center and bottom center. Beyond those, is it a simple flex-fit that retains the grille at the sides?

I'd feel terrible if I broke the fretwork...

jackgiff
05-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I have replaced the broken grilles in two pairs of Valencia's with new grilles made from plastic routed on a CNC router. They simply slide behind the angled piece on the sides, and are held round by the spacers mounted on the speaker baffle. I would bet the farm yours is the same, except I don't have a farm.

Horn Fanatic
05-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I have replaced the broken grilles in two pairs of Valencia's with new grilles made from plastic routed on a CNC router. They simply slide behind the angled piece on the sides, and are held round by the spacers mounted on the speaker baffle. I would bet the farm yours is the same, except I don't have a farm.

I just came across this thread, so this is an FYI comment.

The early Valencia / Seville grilles were made of wood, and were not CNC'd out of a single piece of material, be it plastic or Masonite. The old grilles had 90 degree corners within and without the cutouts. CNC cutters cannot make square corners on a grille such as the Valencia. It's impossible to CNC a single sheet of material and expect to have the same hole profiles as on the old grilles. The old grilles on the Valencia for example, were in fact comprised of and estimated 600 small pieces of 1/4" thick hardwood with a profile that could only be cut by two custom ground router bits or shaper knives. Those pieces were approximately 1.5" x 3/4", which were then glued together to make a single sheet. Ever notice on some damaged Valencia grilles, how pieces are missing, or some section of the grille is missing? The breaks usually occur at the glue joints unless someone put their foot through the grille. In some cases the glue seams can be seen under the brown paint.