PDA

View Full Version : JBL at the Cream Reunion

Charley Rummel
05-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Check this out:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/133082.html :applaud:

clmrt
05-03-2005, 10:45 AM
When I work a gig, it's quite obvious when the artist doesn't give a crap WHO makes the gear.

Why is my carpet backwards - why is my water cold - this stool is too high -

The only people who spec anything, IME, are the techs - house and mon. Some will not allow "proprietary" designs on the rider, that is, cabinets made in-house using industry-standard drivers.

All this is done well in advance of any date. The hi-profile of the Cream engagements meant good marketing ops for pro-sound providers, and there was likely some lobbying on JBL's behalf that helped get them in.

Not to say Vertec is not world class - it is! But there are many players out there.

I am no expert.............Glad to see JBL anywhere.

4313B
05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Why is my carpet backwards - why is my water cold - this stool is too high - :rotfl:

57BELAIRE
05-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Back in the late 60's I attended a Cream concert at Thee Image on Miami Beach. On both sides if the stage, instead of the usual 4560's..etc. they had single infinite baffle 130's in columns...no horns...just 15's, about 30 in all.

This was just like the Grateful Dead with their "Wall Of Sound".

Since I hadn't seen anything like this before I assumed it was the Cream's personal gear or at least per their instructions.

I think Eric and the boys were hip to JBL way back then!

scott fitlin
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Depends on what artist your dealing with. Some dont know and dont care, as long as they have sound! Others are very particular to what they use, who mixes it, etc!

clmrt
05-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I was on deck for Frank Sinatra JUNIOR :p

He wanted his monitor moved 90 deg, and said "Will someone move this thing...Strong of Back, weak of Mind."

I walked right off, stage right. My stage mgr. about swallowed his cig.

EAW, I think it was.

Stonehenge Man
05-03-2005, 12:31 PM
What was it I heard on the BBC last night?

"The last time they played together, it was the sixties...now are playing again and they are in their sixties...":wasnt-me: :band:

They never give Duran Duran that kind of review...:bouncy: :barf:

Stonehenge Man
05-03-2005, 02:05 PM
I was on deck for Frank Sinatra JUNIOR :p

He wanted his monitor moved 90 deg, and said "Will someone move this thing...Strong of Back, weak of Mind."

I walked right off, stage right. My stage mgr. about swallowed his cig.

EAW, I think it was.

If it wasn't that heavy I would've taken a couple of fingers and lifted it over THAT WAY, and then demonstrated to Junior how you can push a GEO Metro around with one finger on the end of the open hood in neutral.

His father could've moved it in his 70s:bs:

(Maybe it was more than a handful of monitor...I am not familiar with that brand or it's specs)

boputnam
05-03-2005, 04:58 PM
If my memory serves, a recent issue of either Mix or Lighting and Sound USA featured an article on some of the acoustic improvements at RAH (must have been the latter...). VerTec ran some ads where they promoted their having been used there, to great reviews. I'm sure that helped this selection, and it will be a great sound.

Hey Oldmics - you on the FOH desk? ;)

markymark
05-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Eric Clapton is a "paid" advisor to JBL. His solo tours were sponsored by them, so naturally they had an in at the Royal Albert.

pangea
05-04-2005, 07:20 AM
I really wish I could be there, because I'm not sure there will be a world-tour after that.

Cream "Disraeli Gear" was the first LP I bought and is still one of my favorites and BTW, I still got it, although the cover is showing a lot of wear and tear these day's.

/Roland

Stonehenge Man
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
: ) I picked up a much better one at local auction for not much (but I had to endure a Percy Faith LP to get the lot, which also included Tommy.

Titanium Dome
05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Ah, The Who, another band in the JBL stable. Well, at least half the band these days. :o:

Tim Rinkerman
05-05-2005, 05:56 AM
The last time Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce did a tour together, I was the sound guy for the warm up act out here...those two can't go for more than about three hours without trying to beat the crap out of each other...the last three out of four weeks were cancelled because of "irreconcilable artistic differences"...

pangea
05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
The last time Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce did a tour together, I was the sound guy for the warm up act out here...those two can't go for more than about three hours without trying to beat the crap out of each other...the last three out of four weeks were cancelled because of "irreconcilable artistic differences"...

Cheeeesus!
One would have expected that guys being in their sixties, would have learned by now, how to get along without grabbing each others throats.:blink:

Love their music though.:rockon2:

BR
Roland

boputnam
05-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Eric Clapton is a "paid" advisor to JBL. His solo tours were sponsored by them, so naturally they had an in at the Royal Albert. :p

4313B
05-05-2005, 04:11 PM
One would have expected that guys being in their sixties, would have learned by now, how to get along without grabbing each others throats.:blink:I just looked up to see how old Bush is and he's still under sixty. I still think he and Sodomy should have met in a back alley somewhere with switchblades instead of dragging everyone else into their little tiff.

pangea
05-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I just looked up to see how old Bush is and he's still under sixty. I still think he and Sodomy should have met in a back alley somewhere with switchblades instead of dragging everyone else into their little tiff.

Hear, hear!

Some people just won't learn anything, ever.

BR
Roland

Stonehenge Man
05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Ah, The Who, another band in the JBL stable. Well, at least half the band these days. :o:

Yeah, but didn't they start with Hi-Watt, and I don't believe it was JBL on stage when they broke 200+ godawful decibels for the Guinness Book record? JBL sounds like something Pete may have done about the time his hearing was starting to go, and I could also figure they would tire of Marshalls and the like by the time Face Dances came out and Pete wanted more subtle stuff out. The Eighties--sigh!