PDA

View Full Version : Signature Badges

analogman
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know, exactly, what metal was used to produce the old exclaimation point style Signature badges? I want to restore some but DO NOT want to use a polish if I can avoid it. I know the chemical solution to this problem with silver, but would really appreciate some input here before I experiment, and possibly make them worse. Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Analogman

JBLnsince1959
05-03-2005, 01:07 PM
what do you mean by restore? ( make shiny?)

Mine, which are dated around 57 to 58 look like some form of brass - copper. But I wouldn't touch em for the world.

what are yours on?

:)

analogman
05-03-2005, 02:01 PM
what do you mean by restore? ( make shiny?)

Mine, which are dated around 57 to 58 look like some form of brass - copper. But I wouldn't touch em for the world.

what are yours on?

:)

Apollos and a C40. I agree with the no touching, that's why I don't want to use polish which removes metal and destroys detail. I would like to figure out a method like the one used for silver: aluminum foil, salt, baking soda and hot water, a basic electrolysis, but I need to identify the metal used. Yes, indeed they do appear to be copper or an alloy containing copper for sure. I've seen them on eBay (there's a pair there now) that look to be straight copper, and have been scratched up by what appears to have been a Brillo pad or similar :banghead:
Thanks,
Analogman

JBLnsince1959
05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
There's are pair on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5770971755&rd=1

looks like they also say copper/brass.

personally, I'll be carefull

JBLnsince1959
05-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I didn't read all of your last post before I mentioned ebay. sorry

yes, they look pretty shitty( the ones on ebay). That is NOT the way to go

analogman
05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
I didn't read all of your last post before I mentioned ebay. sorry

yes, they look pretty shitty( the ones on ebay). That is NOT the way to go

Yep, shitty's a good description, and they're already at $50.00. I'll bet you a nickel they'll go for over a $100.00 :bs: The last pair I saw on eBay went to an Asian buyer for $135.00 BIN, and they were even "more shitty" than the ones up currently. Someone had made them "better than new" with some sort of rubbing compound like Flitz, and then treated them with an "anti-tarnish" coating. Looked like well worn coins, all the definition was destroyed :( , but they were shiny. Don't understand people sometimes :wtf:

Analogman

analogman
05-08-2005, 12:36 PM
One more one...?

Mr. Widget
05-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Wow... they went for just over $200! I wonder what I could get for reproductions....:hmm: These did indeed look rather poor. I would guess they were bronze or at least bronze looking to begin with... any old-timers remember?

Widget

JBLnsince1959
05-09-2005, 06:04 AM
....any old-timers remember?

Widget

Well, I've been looking at them for about 45 to 46 years ( my Dad's C-35's, only one had the badges, the other is older without badges), But to be honest, I didn't pay attention to the badge. ;)

There appears to be a finish on them also ( the exclaimation point in particular ), which is why I mentioned not to touch them. Hard to tell tho, My dad was a heavy smoker and some of what I'm looking at may be smoke sh*t. The cabinets have even turned dark from the smoke.

I'm going to look at the old brochures and see if I can enlarge the picture ( need color brochure tho)

analogman
10-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Got the cure, if anyone gives a shit. Leaves the original patina intact, removes the grime and hard green corrosion and leaves any of the original lacquer that may have survived in place. NO ABRASIVES, NO "POLISH" :bouncy:
Analogman

Zilch
10-21-2005, 01:19 AM
SPILL it!

[Polident in an ultrasonic cleaner? ;)]