PDA

View Full Version : Stereophille Show in Manhattan

Robh3606
05-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Anyone go???

I went and met Lawrence HF there and had a good time. Saw more integration with computers than last year and the IsoMike demo with DSD off a hard drive is something else! That was very nice. They had 4 of the TAD speakers in a surround set-up. Also gave out a demo disk that has some great stuff on it. Some of the best sound was a room with vintage Vitrovox????? corner horns. There was good sound in some of the smaller rooms upstairs at not to crazy prices. Some of the most expensive stuff was not the best sound wise. Puts things into perspective with some basic tools, some good drivers and a little sweat you can do alright DIY.

Rob:)

Ian Mackenzie
05-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Take any pics??

Like these....I seem to remember "we" had a few encounters and went back for a 2nd look in some of those rooms...!..Down boy down.

Ian:applaud:

Robh3606
05-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey Ian

Didn't take any. Should have though. I remember her she was a high light nice girl. Mostly the same stuff some people in the same rooms. The Vandersteins sounded better this year and the Joseph Audio and Von Schrec?? sounded good to. Got to hear those crazy diamomd tweeters using first generation masters off a hard drive. They were sweet too.
Rob:)

scott fitlin
05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Anyone go???

I went and met Lawrence HF there and had a good time. Saw more integration with computers than last year and the IsoMike demo with DSD off a hard drive is something else! That was very nice. They had 4 of the TAD speakers in a surround set-up. Also gave out a demo disk that has some great stuff on it. Some of the best sound was a room with vintage Vitrovox????? corner horns. There was good sound in some of the smaller rooms upstairs at not to crazy prices. Some of the most expensive stuff was not the best sound wise. Puts things into perspective with some basic tools, some good drivers and a little sweat you can do alright DIY.

Rob:)Its funny, every year, including this one, we get further and further into technology! I myself am looking at the lake contour DSP speaker controller, and it has to be set up with a computer!

And every year, i hear the smae thing from one person or another, they will say " I heard this old vintage such an such, and it sounded so good, like nothing they make today "

Makes me wonder sometimes!

Vitavox corner horns were said to be the best of their breed by some!

I happen to agree wholeheartedly with you that the most expensive is not always the best sounding, and in many cases i have gotten far superior results using lower end components than their top of the line S.O.T.A. counterparts!!!!!

Ian Mackenzie
05-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Well if something is already right, is technology and another zero going to make it better....I doubt it.

Technology is cool for convenience and efficiency, but some times I prefer and hands on character and involvement of vintage gear..using hifi will become and event rather than an experience if we are not careful.

Ian