PDA

View Full Version : Pics of weekend visit to my house!

spkrman57
05-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Just in case some of you wanted to link a face to the name:

http://audioroundtable.com/General/messages/1627.html

I am not photogenic, but my doggie is!!!!

Ron

4313B
05-01-2005, 08:58 AM
:hmm: Those 18" boxes look familiar...

spkrman57
05-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I wish Bill had pics of the Altec 399 drivers(1.4") with the 311-60 horns that I had put together right before he left. I plan to mate them with the 2242's and crossover at 500hz.

For a quick listening test I will use Altec N501-8A crossover(2nd order 2-way with L-pad), nothing fancy, but just for a temporary test setup.

I just bought the 399 drivers from Great Plains(Bill Hanschack). He mentioned they are close clones of the Altec 288K's from back in the day, but due to Altec pro(not same quality as back in the day of the namesake) having patent/liscence rights they have new model name.

I was looking for JBL 2" drivers, but too many variables and much more costly. The 399's are $320.00 each + shipping. THese are new with 1 yr warranty.

Disclaimer:I am not affiliated with GP, just nice to have a source of brand new drivers having vintage origin.

Now if JBL had a place that could put out new copies of the vintage originals I would be in hog heaven boys!!!!!

Ron

Earl K
05-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi Ron

I see you guys are having fun .

I was looking for JBL 2" drivers, but too many variables and much more costly. The 399's are $320.00 each + shipping. THese are new with 1 yr warranty.

Wow,,,
- That's an unbeatable price for a 288K clone that includes a new diaphragm .
- Now, just to be sure, that is a 288K clone and not a 299 clone ,, correct ?

:cheers:

spkrman57
05-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Earl,
Bill said they are close to the 288K and that any closer would infringe on patent rights.

I take that for being identical. Having 288C's before(cast pot alnico - NOT tangerine phase plug) w/aluminum diaphrams, I can say these sound damn good and only have 30 mins playing time on them.

My current speaker system in the living room is 2226H and I had 902 on Edgarhorn w/1.6khz crossover. I had to remove the 902's as one of them has a intermittant problem that comes and goes. Never completely drops out, but reduces in volume erratically.

So I just swapped out the 902/edgar for the Altec 399/311-60 horns. Even crossed over @ 1.6khz, not bad. But down the road, either 1st order @ 500hz, or 500hz with 3rd order for higher power handling. Most likely will be the 1st order as I prefer tube amps less than 10 watts, and my favorite tube amp is 45 SET at 2 watts!!!

ROn

spkrman57
05-02-2005, 04:13 AM
I never had a 288K driver, only a 288C w/16 ohm aluminum diaphram. Well just running the 399's on horns was a pleasant surprise. I will change the crossover from 1.6khz to 800hz and use the 2242s for bottom use.

I am really surprised at the HF extension these drivers have! I know things will change some when I lower the crossover, but at 1600 hz, they reach up as high as my 902's or 2426's do.

I will post in another thread when I get the system re-configured.

I definitely feel good about these drivers though.

Ron

Earl K
05-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Heh Ron,

- How about some closeup pics of those 399 drivers . I do love new gear .

- Any idea if the 399s' Tangerine phase-plug has the central hole ( as in the 288K ) / or did Bill & Iconic close it up / to more closely match the layout of the 902 phase-plug ?
( You can tell very easily by shining a flashlight down the throat of the driver and looking for a central hole surrounded by the radial slits )

spkrman57
05-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Earl,

I have just put these on the 311-60 horns(aqua-plas coated for no ringing) and I will have to take apart when the "flat-washers" or "O" rings arrive with the decals for the back.

I will get some pics later. I have a digital camera for last year and have not taken even 1 pic as my PC is half shot and driver cards don't work for anything anymore. I will get new PC after I quit buying audio toys!!! LOL

I will try and get a friend of mine to come over and get some pics of my 399's, my 2242's in really nice cabinets(sound-wise and dead quiet - not cosmetically which is not a priority of mine anyways), and my 311-60 Altec horns which I love the "INDUSTRIAL" look of them!!!

I have to decide soon whether to use a 500hz/800hz crossover and try out several different versions(2nd/3rd or 1st order). It all will come down to the sound. I don't have the patience to sit and compute it all out, just will check out different crossover designs and try them out!!!

Ron

mikebake
11-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Made it to Rons house today, 4430's in tow. Ron has an amazing amount of cabinets, drivers, horns, receivers, etc. Living room. Three bedrooms. Kitchen. Basement rec room. Garage. Full.
He has several large vintage enclosures, some of them DIY, some groovy factory units, just begging for a new life.
Drivers are everywhere; lift some stuff here, there is a pair of 2226's; over here some more. Comp drivers; organ speakers, wood horns, metal horns. Receivers stacked on side for more space. Also lots of tube amps, including "late model" upscale ones; nice preamps, etc. etc. Each cabinet, Ron has a plan/project for how he would/will utilize them.
As I said to Ron today; "I thought you rolled your gear over for cash for the next acquisition"...............nope, he keeps most of it, it seems.
His corner cabs with D130 and 075 in his bedroom are quite cool, not to mention that his bed frame is a bunch of 4648 cabs..............
He also showed some 4311A's in the rec room in with a zillion other cabs and stuff..........
Lots of alum. and wood horns in evidence.
Fun visit for the "nickel tour"; thanks Ron.

spkrman57
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Earl,

I was able to look at the 399's with a flashlight with the 500hz Edgarhorns since they are not too deep.

They DO have the hole in the center of the phase plug.

Going back to another of your questions, they just might be 299 clones due to the "Pascalite" aluminum diaphrams.

My other E-130 recone will be here by weekend if my schedule stays as planned.

Ron

Heh Ron,

- How about some closeup pics of those 399 drivers . I do love new gear .

- Any idea if the 399s' Tangerine phase-plug has the central hole ( as in the 288K ) / or did Bill & Iconic close it up / to more closely match the layout of the 902 phase-plug ?
( You can tell very easily by shining a flashlight down the throat of the driver and looking for a central hole surrounded by the radial slits )