PDA

View Full Version : C34 Project

Contrapezist
04-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Hello all,
Falling under the catagory search first, Whatd I get myself into? I have a pretty good idea.
Picked up a couple of projects, C34's that have spent about 6 years in a south georgia pole barn. ( seriously tho this place is the resthaven for JBL and Altec equipment you cant walk around with out running into some vintage treasure. there was a voice of the theatre peering out from between a tree and an international scout )
The bases are toast as is the veneer fortunatly the water didnt get into the important wood. One of the 130E's works but has seen better days the other is in great shape, 175's gone, grilles gone, crossovers functional.
Heres one question tho one clearly is Lansing its built from lumber core, and hidden under the varnish top front and center was jim lansing signature. The other tho has the same jointery, dimensions, cleats and general construction but is made from 5 ply and I couldnt find any evidence of a signature. Could this also be a lansing or just a real good copy? Also any chance of replacement of the jim lansing signature?
This is more rennovation than restoration. The plan is to go back on with teak veneer to match my grace tone arm :) havnt yet decided tho to send both 130's in for recone so they match, save money and just send one, or offer up the one good one get a wasted replacement and send that pair in so Im not wastefully reconing an original. The remaining is what to do about the horns I have a pair of 2301's with 2425H's but will require extensive modification to make them fit good complete 175's with out breaking the bank seem hard to come by.
Thats my project, current mains are mellow monsters I built in high school.
Laterz
AJ

Zilch
04-30-2005, 04:54 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5771386095&rd=1

I'm not a reconer, so I don't know if that looks like genuine JBL or not.

I thought spiders came already attached on JBL kits.

Others here may be able to advise on that....

Contrapezist
04-30-2005, 11:16 PM
The as hauled home pics of the one I belive is lansing you can barely see the signature L top front center. I made an error I had Harris on the brain at the time of my post the woofers are 130A's not E's.

Contrapezist
04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
The as hauled home pics of the copy? still not sure yet.

Contrapezist
05-14-2005, 06:24 PM
This is the lansing and my first attempt at veneering anything dont think I did too bad. A couple of oops's and lessons learned early on. fortunatly they are in the corner sections so not visable in place. The dark streaks are caused by a coating on the veneer that will come off in the final sanding. going to wait till the other is done before I do the final sanding and finish.

johnaec
05-14-2005, 06:26 PM
'Great start!

John

Contrapezist
05-15-2005, 08:47 PM
The other one. Still some cleanup and such to do. Have to wait for the neighbors to be gone before I can do the final sanding before finish. They love to complain about anything. A few small oops's but all in all are lookable. doesnt help that I know where they are, a sight better than the starting point for sure.

Contrapezist
05-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Took advantage of the neighbors being gone this evening. Sanded down, a quick hit with steel wool and a tack cloth then applied the teak oil. Came out just the color I was hoping for that deep wet look. BTW sanding an enclosure with a pad sander is deafening.

Contrapezist
05-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Here they are in place. Not yet totally complete have to finish up the new bases. I decided to build a frame type grill rather than go back in with the original type give it a more modern look. Kinda has a kilpshish look about it Ive always been partial to (sorry). They sound great, Im not really experiancing any problems with the symetrical horn placement that was reported to me when I started the project, from my listening position the lenses have good dispersion. Its really been awhile since Ive experianced a set of tweeters that sound more like cymbals rather than kitchen utinsels. They are slightly more efficent than the mellow monsters (in part they are equiped with a more modern woofer) The slight hum from my B&K is much more noticable. Playing around a bit with placement to the corner they seem to be best about 3 inches away. Just glad I have 2 reasonable corners to put them in altho I think my neighbors are going to object. Cant wait till tuesday night and can really open em up for a good test.

Audiobeer
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Diamond in the rough......Now they shine! Very Nice! :D

analogman
06-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm still looking for the mate I need for my C40 "Harkness" project. I will probably make these my primary speakers for everyday use. I am trying to put together a mirrored pair, that seems to be the hold up. :banghead: I am very interested in what you hear/think about your C34s. Please share your impressions. :bouncy:
Analogman