PDA

View Full Version : L300's vs. 4333's - are they very different?

mech986
04-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi All,

I'd like your thoughts on the following question: Considering the L300/Summit and the 4333/A/B, are they pretty much equivalent in sound and design, or are there small tweaks to one or the other that makes any significant difference?

I have a pair of L300's in pretty good shape (8/10) and a pair of 4333A's that were "modified" by a previous owner - he painted the front baffle black, removed the foilcals, changed control knobs on the pots, and "added" a pair of bullet 075's to the extra hole not occupied by the 077 slots. I haven't had a chance to dig into them to see if he actually added a crossover with that or what. The cabinets are about a 6/10 with several veneer chips missing from the top and a couple from the sides while the bottoms used to have bolted on casters (JBL made some casters but I don't know if these were them) which were removed before I got them - so they have some through holes on the bottom corners :biting:

I've had a couple opportunities in the past to pick up some L300 cabinets and I was giving some serious thoughts to transferring my good drivers over to the L300's and rebuilding those instead of trying to ressurect the 4333A's. I've got the grille labels but getting the foilcals have proven impossible - although I think I remember Giskard had a ready to make pattern he developed for the 4333A foilcal. Do you think refurbishing the 4333A's a better use of time or transplant in to the L300's cabs, if I find them?

To me they sound pretty close to the same, but I get an impression the 4333A can go a little deeper (sl. bigger volume in cabinet?) but that may also be due to their sitting the woofer lower to the ground? I try to disregard the slight brightness of mine due to the extra tweeters.

Anyway, let me know what you think, especially if you've had the chance to compare them closely.

Regards,

Bart

jay
04-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Gosh, Bart, you must have been reading my mind! For some time now I've kicked around the idea of getting some empty L300 cabinets and transferring my 4333 drivers into them.

You said the woofers on the 4333's sit very low and that's also one of my gripes. I think they would sound more defined and a tad less muddy if picked up a foot or so. Do you have any measurements how high the L300 woofer is off the ground?

Jay

P.S. Too bad we live so far apart -- how does a triple stack of 4333's and L300's sound? :p

Hofmannhp
04-27-2005, 05:47 AM
........ and "added" a pair of bullet 075's to the extra hole not occupied by the 077 slots. ..................... but getting the foilcals have proven impossible
Bart

Hi Bart,

do I understand it right......the pre-owner added a 075 in the hole, which is for mirroring the tweeters? and used the 2405 AND the 075 both in each cabinet?:blink:

HP

4313B
04-27-2005, 05:47 AM
are there small tweaks to one or the other that makes any significant difference?

Different internal standing wave modes. Angled baffle. Recessed baffle. Etc. All the differences are physical enclosure related. Components and networks are functional equivalents.

"You said the woofers on the 4333's sit very low and that's also one of my gripes. I think they would sound more defined and a tad less muddy if picked up a foot or so."

Baseless gripe - they aren't supposed to sit on the floor ;) They're designed to be "professionally" installed. :p In any case, I just placed mine on purpose built stands to get the 077/2405 at ear level.

mech986
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Yep, the 075 and 077 are both there. Also, the tweeter horns got painted a sort of dull silver, the port received a plastic cylindrical inner liner and the woofer has a PA/Disco grille on it. I was told the former owner used it in a Studio/ProAudio Store, I suspect they may have been carried around as portable speakers. There's no accounting for taste, especially if you are dealing with, ah, Asian ideas of what looks contemporary. And I'm Chinese too!

Here's a couple of pics of the speaker holding up an L19: The horn lenses are off right now.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mech986/detail_hires?.dir=e20e&.dnm=5140.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mech986/detail_hires?.dir=e20e&.dnm=66a7.jpg

So what do you think?

Bart

grumpy
04-28-2005, 01:52 PM
opinion?

Sell off the 075's, block the hole, and make up some grilly things.
Check the crossover/wiring for "mods".
Find a nice paint (to tame the shiny black).

Unless, of course you like what you see & hear
:D

-grumpy

Hofmannhp
04-29-2005, 02:31 PM
So what do you think?

Bart

Hi Bart,

those are beauties, I think, when modified a little.
I agree with Grumpy.....throw the 075 out (I will take them ;) )
try to get some Bo-blue and two lens 2308 from the forum .
Short...try to renew them to original.

HP