PDA

View Full Version : Some guys have all the luck!

GordonW
04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I've been helping out a friend of mine, Matt, assemble various stereo/HT stuff for his new house. He's been working madly on the house itself (I think, realistically, that about the ONLY things that haven't been re-worked on the house are the bricks in the wall... no, wait, he HAS been re-laying some of the bricks in the decorative wall in the patio, so, ummm...), and has just now gotten through enough to start installing the sound systems. I had gotten him some speakers for his HT system (Boston Acoustics A70 8" 2-ways and an A40 6.5" 2-way for a center), and such...

Went over yesterday, to help him configure his HT system... before I came over, he told me on the phone "yeah, one of my wife's cousins just gave me some stereo gear... I want you to tell me if we can use any of it"...

Got there, glanced at it, and nearly fell over.

:blink: :eek: :shock:

A Sansui AU717 integrated amp, and ST717 tuner. Yeah, the big black ones with the RACK HANDLES.

But wait... there's more. The speakers? OMG. :jawdrop:

JBL L65 Jubals. Missing the glass tops, and need some minor wood-work on some of the trim, but in PERFECT working condition, with GOOD foam.

Let me repeat- he was given this stuff FOR FREE. By someone who probably was saying to themselves: "hey, we don't need this old dusty stereo... let's see if Matt wants it for his new house".

Needless to say, there's gonna be a quite serious "music listening" system in the sitting room/dining room/living room area in the front of the house. He's really handy with hardware, so I told him, just take the "pad" from the top of one of the speakers (that sits under the glass), to use as a template to have some more glass tops made out of lightly-smoked glass... once he does that, and touches up the woodwork itself, these things are gonna be SWEET!
:applaud: :thmbsup:

Regards,
Gordon.

spkrman57
04-26-2005, 06:16 AM
I wouldn't mind some of that luck for myself!

Ron

Don Mascali
04-26-2005, 06:21 AM
When people give me stuff, they use me as their garbage man. It's all worthless.
People hate to throw it out but most of the stuff made today is hardly worth my time much less the price for a tech to look at it.

Maybe after hearing your friends story I need to get to know a higher class of people.

mikebake
04-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Ron, you're gonna be the guy where after the funeral the attorney and family open the door to the house and some 14 year old says "Whoooaaaaaaa, cool. Look at all these speakers......."
I wouldn't mind some of that luck for myself!

Ron

Regis
04-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Gawd! A pair of free L-65 Jubals. Can't go wrong on that. Every time I listen to my old ones at my little brothers house, I can't help but be impressed. The vintage black Sansui 70's stuff was very good too. The internals were beefy and many of the amps had seperate transformers for each side!

spkrman57
04-26-2005, 07:10 AM
I am in the process of giving some stuff away very soon. I have offered cabinets that need minor work done and drivers installed but would provide some crude beginnings of speaker systems for some on a budget.

This weekend there is a guy coming in from Dayton to pick up some "home-made" Altec A7 VOTT cabs that need resized ports and such, but for free and they are made of MDF.

I have posted on several forums that I belong to that for a trip to my house and take some (excess) cabinets home for FREE!!!

I need to clear out my basement and make room to put up drywall and soundproofing so I can put my system down there!!!

Have some Bozak cabs, some older vintage EV cabs that need bracing and such.

If all goes as I hope for, that 14 yr old kid will see and fairly empty house except for about 3 audio systems!!!

Ron

(Mike - are you still debating on what we discussed?????)

Robh3606
04-26-2005, 07:20 AM
Damn what a nice set-up!! I would not mind someone dropping that at my door!! Lucky SOB :presents:

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
04-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Damn, Sansui and JBL!!!!

The only free stuff I've been getting lately is Klipsch and McIntosh.:(

There is a very stylish Thai restaurant a couple of blocks from my house that is using one of those 70's era AUs presented proudly in the rack behind the bar... the black face with all of those knobs and glowing red LEDs sure looks cool. I am glad to see it there and that it to hasn't been thrown out like so much of this cool vintage gear.

Widget

hector.murray
04-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Umm, if uh, you need to relieve yourself of some of that trashy McIntosh stuff, I'll be happy to help you out. I know, what are friends for......

Mr. Widget
04-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Damn, damn, damn... I didn't even think to ask.:D I sold the Mac amp and the Klipsch speakers on ebay. It was only a MC2100... if I get a better one I'll be sure to let you know before I make that mistake again.;)

Widget

Cyclotronguy
04-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Widget

Hey, I sure could use a single Belle Klipsch... empty cabinet or otherwise. I could gas up the big black truck and save you a dump run! I'll spring for lunch at that Thai bar!

Cyclotronguy