PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon to a backyard near you........

mikebake
04-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, it seems.............
http://www.summercinema.com/screensales.htm

The possibilities for fun seem many...................

johnaec
04-23-2005, 08:25 PM
I've been following your musings on this project - have you decided on a size? And primarily, where will you be setting it up and what is this going to be used for?? Concert videos? Bedtime with Bambi? :hmm:

John

mikebake
04-24-2005, 05:50 AM
The 32x23 unit is recommended for mobile use. I plan to use it in a variety of settings; parks, downtown, neighborhoods, country clubs, festivals, etc. for uses ranging from fundraisers to college movie night to you name it. We want to float around in the huge WPA-built civic pool and watch Jaws. King Kong while watching on top of the parking garage. Take it to neighborhoods and straddle a closed street, watch stuff like Raiders, Princess Bride, etc. Rent it to the country club, show Caddyshack while they ride up on golf carts for a drive-in..........that kinda thing.

The night I am alone in the backyard watching the Weather Channel on it with 5400 watts is when they lock me up for good......................

spkrman57
04-24-2005, 05:54 AM
You just love gadgets I think.

Ron

mikebake
04-24-2005, 06:11 AM
No, not gadgets; I like seeikng people entertained, and if a little money is made in the process, so much the better.

MBB

pelly3s
04-24-2005, 07:10 AM
I did an outdoor movie in a park with a 10X14 screen, with 5 RCF ART200'a and a Mackie single 18 sub and that was enough for like 175 people no problem. I want to step it up to a 32x23 or something close to that and use two double 18's, some double 15 and 2" for the main and the center and surround would be single 15 and 2", but no park I do it in has the power to run the amps I would have to lug out (I love macrotechs but god do they draw too much current and are so heavy) Well mike have fun with that setup, what do you have for a projector

mikebake
04-24-2005, 07:19 AM
I'll use JBL 2226/2426H two way for mains for smaller crowds, with either dual 2226 sub or single 18 sub. Mobile movie operators don't seem to mess with surround sound any, just stereo, which is what I'll generally do. Larger venues may see two 4560's and sub, or 2 to 4 CS3115's. I have a Honda SuperQuiet inverter, and may buy another to be completely portable, otherwise some shore power will help.

For projection, working on a 5500 lumen Sanyo. New ones are pricey; 6750.00 sale price. PLus need cases, racks, etc.

spkrman57
04-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Mike,
Sounds like a lot of work to get the logistics down and ironed out. Be sure and let me know if you need anything out of my warehouse(I mean house) to make this happen.
Ron

mikebake
04-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Logistics are my thing, man!

spkrman57
04-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Mike,
I have a pair of Altec 1234 cabinets. 15" and 511B horn cutouts on the front. Also has casters on back and peg feet on front.

I can suppy various drivers to work with that also. Notice I am concentrating on the gear that has wheels, good for us lazy folks.

Ron

spkrman57
04-24-2005, 12:10 PM
It has the chrome curved pipe deal on the back of the cabinet to pull it around with.

This was Altecs portable sound reinforcement type series that originally had a 421 and 808 on 511B.

Only reason I still have these is that they hold up the shelf full of chassis's in the basement, and I was thinking of down the road using them as Altec model 19 clone cabinets. They are approx 10 cu ft if I remember right.

Ron

mikebake
04-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks, but I'm covered on that end. 4560BKA's have wheels on them, too. Those cabs sound cool. You oughta do some neat-o retro thing with them, paint em red with gold grills or something!

spkrman57
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Since they are so big (over 10 cu ft), they would be good for the 416 driver. I would make a custom crossoverat 1khz and still use the 511B horn and 1" driver to keep things simple.

I would probably not keep it as I prefer the 2226's to the 416's. But I have the parts already and have to do something with them!!!

Ron

johnaec
04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I have a pair of Altec 1234 cabinets. 15" and 511B horn cutouts on the front. Also has casters on back and peg feet on front.I had a pair of those several years ago! Chrome handle on the back, and I had some pieces of ~6" long PVC pipe that I slid over the front pegs to angle them up for gigs. Mine were actually the versions that had the power amps built in. 'Problem was, at high volumes the power supply would start making "cracking" noises. I was working at Ultra Sound at the time and one of the electronics guys modded the amps to resolve the problem. 'Don't know what he did, but they would really crank after that! And someone got a deal when I sold them for $300/pr... :banghead:

John :band:

spkrman57
04-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Another thing that was nice about those cabinets is they were built more solid than any of the VOTT cabinets(A7/etc). They are braced rather nice.

After bringing them up in this thread, I was talking to a friend of mine about them and he decided he wants them to build up a system. He is partly audiophile and mostly interested in industrial strength speaker systems that he can crank on. Well I happen to have a pair of Eminence 15" pro driver (400 watt), 808 w/aluminum diaphram, Eminence APT-80 tweet horn and will do a crossover at 1khz/10khz for him to run without fear of destroying the horns. 2nd order low-pass w/zoebel, 3rd order with L-pad for midhorn(808/802 on 511B), and 2nd order and L-pad for APT-80 tweeter.

He is interested in live rock sound levels so protection is main concern.

Ron

johnaec
05-07-2005, 07:32 PM
I have a pair of Altec 1234 cabinets. 15" and 511B horn cutouts on the front. Also has casters on back and peg feet on front.I finally found a pic of these, (self-powered versions, with requisite beer stains), when I had a pair for a band I was in - you can see the white PVC tubes I slipped over the front legs to tilt them up. That's me in the green hat playing bass, (the guitar and bass are custom jobs I built back then...). Hidden from view behind the Altec cabinet was my bass rig, with a 2245H and K120 running on 800 watts Crest.

John

mikebake
05-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Neat-o!

What year? What tunes?
Sounds like that bass cab was pretty cool, too.

johnaec
05-08-2005, 08:00 AM
That pic is from about 15 years ago. We played mostly rhythm & blues, rock & roll... The bass got stolen some time later, (never recovered), and the guitar went for "medicine"... 'live and learn... :banghead:

John

mikebake
05-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Umm, looks older than 15 years ago! Anyway, the plunge was taken today and the big screen is on order........................

:eek:

johnaec
05-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Umm, looks older than 15 years ago!'Might have been 18 years - definitely not 20, because of where it was taken, (I wasn't there before that...)

John

mikebake
05-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Projector arrived last week; 5200 lumen Proxima factory refurb. Had to send it for an exchange already........lamp control issues.

Picked up the screen at the freight terminal today. 248 lbs. 3 packages and a 25 foot long giant cardboard tube. Hope to get projector back next week, then dry runs and photos.
Also got audio together, bought all new rack cases, including a rolling one with handle for the amps. Everything is on wheels or can be dollied.
Oh yeah, picked up new 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul it and keep the workshop uncluttered. This is gonna rock...........

spkrman57
05-29-2005, 11:34 AM
When are you coming through Columbus, Ohio with it???

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Ron

mikebake
05-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I will probably be down there with it sooner or later. Talking to two or three people there.

mikebake
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Here 'tis.

mikebake
06-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Wider angle showing cabs on sticks. (4655 cabs with 2226H/2416, SR4725XF crossover, 4648 cab with dual 2226G based LF cab in middle)

Other particulars; 5200 lumen projector, dual Sony DVD players,.............will send photos of racks etc. later. Working on getting everything on wheels and carts.
Fun...................
Everyone commented on the sound quality; it really was decent even with this smaller setup. Lacking real low end power, though. Shoulda kept the two damn 2245H systems. Gonna have to work on it. The 4648 didn't keep up with the CS3115's, either. Their horn loading overpowered the LF balance from the 4648's. Can't use a horn sub, so I guess amp muscle will have to do it, if I attempt it. Getting HT level sub performance just ain't really gonna happen, unh uh. :no:
Using one of my big quad 15 cabs isn't likely a solution; IS efficient at 103, but HEAVY and I would probably have to add big casters. Too heavy.
Again, it is nice to have a real SR use for my stuff, doing what it was built to do and not flattening me indoors. I still need to work the CS3115's into the mix for larger shows. Concentrating on learning to setup and adjust the projector was #1 for now; sound I can do, and get decent results. I can improve it later. Also learning my new "board" and the most efficient ways to setup and repack/load out everything. It is a bit of work, mostly pushing the very heavy and clumsy screen around! I found some cool military giant alum. screws for ground anchors.............bought an electric impact tool to "install" them. This is fun because it combines audio with video pursuits, adding to the challenge. Before the show I crank some good tunes.
Oh yeah, I ordered some 2426H's off Harman, to fire up the old 4560BKA's. I'll try them next time to see how I like them in the mix. Long throw and efficient.

johnaec
06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Lacking real low end power, though. Shoulda kept the two damn 2245H systems. Gonna have to work on it.You might want to check out something like JBL's W15GTI 15" differential drive car audio subs. If you've got the power to drive them, they'll put out just about the same LF as the Sub1500, at least from 30hz up: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Boxes%20and%20Parameters/W15GTi_rev_f.pdf .

Very high output from really small cabinets. I believe it's basically the same speaker as the 2256 used in the Vertec 4881 sub, (same 20mm Xmax and differential drive):
http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/new_vertec/pdf/VT4881.pdf

I ordered some 2526H's??? 'Ya mean 2426H's?

John

mikebake
06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
??? 'Ya mean 2426H's?

John
Yup , that is what I meant. Corrected!
As for the car sub version..............I'm out of dough right now...............but may look into them down the road. Thanks for the input.

mikebake
07-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Screen and photo, July 2nd party. Note the 4648A at the bottom of the screen.

mikebake
07-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Projector and board

mikebake
07-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Wider angle shot.

mikebake
07-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Insert cold beer into picture, sit down and watch movie.

Mr. Widget
07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Looks cool... You need three more of those subs. :bouncy: How close are your nearest neighbors?:D

Widget

Zilch
07-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Subwoof can get you a pair of these:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4688.pdf

Bigger'n 100 breadboxes, you won't have to worry about beer gettin' spilled on them - just hose 'em down after.

AND, you won't need tiedowns for yer screen anymore. :p

[130 dB ka-BOOM, continuous....]

mikebake
07-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Looks cool... You need three more of those subs. :bouncy: How close are your nearest neighbors?:D

Widget

Pretty much a standard 60's neighborhood, but I have a kinda pie shaped lot with a woods behind it. One acre lot. House and slope contains much of the sound, plus they are all friendly and most of them attend our once a year July 4th party...................
This years stats; 100 1/2 chickens BBQ'd, 35 cases of beer downed, 30 bottles of wine consumed...................

mikebake
07-06-2005, 03:18 PM

Bigger'n 100 breadboxes, you won't have to worry about beer gettin' spilled on them - just hose 'em down after.

Right before I got the screen I got rid of my two 2245's in nice cabs on wheels; :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mikebake
07-06-2005, 07:19 PM

[130 dB ka-BOOM, continuous....]

Lets not forget, brother man, I gots these.............and day be kickin it.
Actually I'd rather have one of those as they are lighter, and can do true sub duty, which these quad boxes don't. Still, they are impressive in use, believe me. 142db max output as per JBL.
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/5674.pdf

Zilch
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I can't for the life of me imagine how "minimizing destructive interference effects" could conceivably be a rational design objective in this territory.... :D

Audiobeer
07-22-2005, 08:04 PM
That looks like a blast! Your friends gotta love it when they get invites! :applaud:

mikebake
08-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Frank's 2000" TV

Lyric compilation: Weird Al Yankovic

Risin' above the city, blocking out the noonday sun
It dwarfs the mighty redwoods and it towers over everyone
I still remember when that delivery truck came down our block
What a lucky guy, I hear he got the last one in stock
And the neighbors are just green
They say, "That's the biggest screen we've ever seen!"

It's Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
Frank's 2000" TV

There's Frank's remote control, you can look at it but don't touch it, please
'Cause Frank's the one in charge and he decides what everybody sees
The picture's crystal clear and everything is magnified
Robert DeNiro's mole has got to be ten feet wide
Everybody in the town
Can hear those 90,000 watts of Dolby Sound
And I'm mighty proud to say
Now I can watch "The Simpsons" from 30 blocks away

On Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see

I'm gonna get one of my own real soon
It's like having a drive-in movie in your own living room
Whoa, hey now, hey no na na na now
Hey now, Hey now na na now

Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
You won't believe it
Frank's 2000" TV
Everybody come and see
Frank's 2000" TV
Get a 2-year warranty on parts and labor
Frank's 2000" TV
Frank's 2000" TV

JBLnsince1959
08-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, that takes HT to a whole new level. :applaud:

mikebake
08-26-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www.squarefairlima.com/album_06/The%20Ayers/slides/DSCF0001.JPG
My big screen saw duty for live concert video this summer. I will have done a total of 16 outdoor dates this year.

mikebake
08-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Loverboy!!
http://www.squarefairlima.com/album_06/The%20Ayers/slides/DSCF0002.JPG

mikebake
08-26-2006, 07:56 AM
More people watch the band on my screen than the band on the stage....
http://www.squarefairlima.com/album_06/The%20Ayers/slides/DSCF6878.JPG

JBLnsince1959
08-26-2006, 08:02 AM
way cool

spkrman57
08-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Are you ready to take the show on the road yet?

Ron

mikebake
08-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I've been on the road all summer; Celina at the lake, Bryan, Ohio. St. Marys, etc. I'll be in Upper Sandusky tonight, not far from Columbus; beer, BBQ, band, and cool movie. Wanna come up and check it out? http://www.twheels.com/default.asp
And now for the biggest insult ever; I told the guy it was a JBL sound system and look what they wrote!!! BOSE!!!!!!!!! Har!
FREE! DRIVE IN MOVIE NITE FOR MOTORCYCLES 08/26/2006 - 08/26/2006 A FIRST! Thiel's Wheels will be showing "The World's Fastest Indian" starring Anthony Hopkinson on a 40X60' professional outdoor screen with a Bose sound system begining at dusk. Mountain Man Meats will be BBQ'ing, beer garden, and Dr Ike and The Funk King will provide live music entertainment before the movie. Bring a blanket and or chairs and enjoy this new event! there is also a store wide sale with special hours from 9am til 9pm. GREAT OUTDOOR ENTERTAINMENT ON A WARM SUMMER NIGHT
http://www.twheels.com/images/twheelshd/DriveInMovie_sm.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

johnaec
08-26-2006, 09:14 AM
And now for the biggest insult ever; I told the guy it was a JBL sound system and look what they wrote.... 40X60' professional outdoor screen with a Bose sound system...Bose has so inundated the populace with marketing hype that if people forget a name and think "sound" or "speakers" they often have the Pavlovian response "Bose". :banghead:

I hope you can make an announcement before the show thanking them for coming and specifically asking people to take notice of the superior sound of JBL's, which is also what they usually hear in theaters!

John

mikebake
08-26-2006, 09:18 AM
I hope you can make an announcement before the show thanking them for coming and specifically asking people to take notice of the superior sound of JBL's, which is also what they usually hear in theaters!

John
You can bet that I'll set them straight before the show. People seldom comment on the sound reinforcement at most events I produce, but I get positive comments from ordinary folks every time with the JBL movie sound. They watched Vin Diesel "The Pacifier" last week and the sound rocked. The old 4560 boxes really help make it to the back of the bigger crowds, and the quad box slams nicely. I haven't used the CS3115's all summer. I just add two speakers on sticks for getting the sound over peoples heads and a little front fill. I run the quad box from 120 down, summed mono, parallel mode on the amp with no clip limit, but a filter from 30 down. No problems so far. I am going to use a Ramsey FM stereo transmitter also, tonight, so the motorcyclists can listen on their machines, too. Last week, like this, they have a live band before the movie. I always do a sound test early on and the bands alway look over and tell me they'd rather be playing through my rig. Maybe I should take the CS3115's along too, tonight. Damn heavy, and no caters, though.

spkrman57
08-26-2006, 09:42 AM
If the Browns weren't playing tonight(against Buffalo) I would be all over that.

You will have to let me know the next time you are setting up somewhat close to me and I'll have to go and help you set up and stuff!

I'll bet the 2242's I have would make a statement with your system!!!!!!

You should hear the single unit I am running(just with 150w plate amp) running with the E-130's I just picked up from our friend.

The E-130 recones with paper dustcap played well with 6BQ5 single ended tube amp(5wpc), then I tried them out with Soundcraftsman MOSFET amp(205wpc). The E-130's were dynamic as hell and I ran them w/out crossover with just a 1 ufd cap to a T35 tweeter.

The E-130 is much more musical than most folks imagine. Without the aluminum dustcap the response is approx 120hz to 3.6khz and no "shoutiness" to them at all!

Sorry to hijack your thread Mike!!!!!

Ron

mikebake
08-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Dude, I'm a Browns fan, but screw that. C'mon up and check out the setup, this'll be your only chance this year. I'm with you on E-130, I like that driver. The 2242's would be great, but I don't really need/want sub duty, just beefy LF duty is all that can be expected outdoors, so the quad cab does well at this. I wouldn't mind 2242's and a really big amp, though, so I could save trailer space. If you want, I'll put the Browns on the big screen in hi-def. Just kidding. I might do a Browns game later in the year, though, for the local Browns backers club. I'm doing OSU/Texas in Kalida in a few weeks. http://www.pioneerdays.com/pioneer/Sports.html

boputnam
08-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Golly, Mike - that looks like a really cool gig! Beautiful setting, nestled in there amongst the trees. Neat-o... :applaud:

mikebake
08-31-2006, 05:02 AM
The quad beast, on the job. Two JBL 2226H's and two JBL 2226G's, with one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm driver paired, so the amp sees a 6 ohm load per "side". Very efficient and effective system.

Zilch
08-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Two JBL 2226H's and two JBL 2226G's, with one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm driver paired, so the amp sees a 6 ohm load per "side".An 8-Ohm and a 4-Ohm in parallel is 2.67 Ohms, I think, and the 4-Ohm drivers are putting out twice the power of the 8s, i.e., 2/3 of the total.

Better rethink that connection scheme.

[Or get me stronger coffee this morning.... :o: ]

Robh3606
08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
They run a 8 and 4 in series and then parralel the pairs up. That will get you 6. Those specials?? Normal box is 4 H's to get 4 ohms per side.

Rob:)

mikebake
08-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Ha, no, I think Zlich is right, my brain was off somewhere else this a.m., his was the # I came up with when originally setting up the system, as I remember thinking about the sub 3 ohm load and the QSC and deciding to give it a try. I believe they are simply two pairs of paralled drivers, not seried then paralled. Shit, Now I gotta go look again. The original drivers were all 8 ohm; the odd ball was the CS3115's which came with G's. When I switched them to apssive with an SR4735XF crossover, which was designed for an 8 ohm woofer, I scavenged the H's from the quads, sold a pair of G's to someone, and when a few years later I decided to resurrect one of the quad beasts, I discovered that I still had a pair of G's around and decided to press into service. Thanks for getting my brain going again. Whew.

Zilch
08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
8-Ohm and 4-Ohm in series, the current is the same through both, so the 8-Ohm drivers are then putting out 2/3 of the total power.

Best answer is to use four of the same impedance drivers for the system to be balanced....

mikebake
08-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I'm getting ready to do some more swapping around so I can come up with two more H's, as I presumed that was the case. It was my immediate need that led to it. I've got a couple of cabs needing work that have some H's, just haven't muscled them out of storage yet, but soon. At the time, I was less concerned with the issues mixing them would create than in getting something to handle the LF and keep the other cabs from sucking so much power and taking a beating.

mikebake
08-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Funny, right when I was replying my buddy sent me these photos from this summer. Here was the show that necessitated the move; outdoor video and audio for Steel Pulse, at Annies in Cincinnati. It pounded my stuff and definitely tested it. Pretty mellow crowd, all dressed up and lotsa sweet smelling ganj floating by...............

Zilch
08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
As you might easily surmise, impedance confusion reigns in Zilchlab with many drivers old and new swapping in and out of systems.

Sometimes I've gotta just stand back and say, "HEY, what do I ACTUALLY have going on here?" :banghead:

[And it don't help much to read the old foilcals, either, as we know.... :p ]

moldyoldy
08-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Every time I check the updates in this thread, I can't help but wonder if the world would be as we know it today if Kesey and the Pranksters could have had a setup like yours on the bus.....:bouncy:

Extremely impressive and absolutely too cool, Mike, hats off. You're a REAL Pro! Any planned dates near Arkansas? (We have electricity now).

mikebake
09-01-2006, 07:19 AM
. You're a REAL Pro!
Not really; pros remember WTF they are talking about concerning impedance...:D

The only thing to brag on is the fact that this system is portable, and somewhere different each week, so something is always throwing a wrench in the works and must be solved in a timely manner. Showtime is generally about 9 p.m. and it's amazing how busy you can be between 4:30 load-in and showtime. Last week there was a band prior to showtime, plus rain, so I didn't get a sound check until 15 minutes prior to the show; something was weird!! Sound from LF quad cab, and from the compression drivers, but not the woofers :blink: .............I finally checked the back buttons on the crossover, which is in the amp rack. The two buttons that alternate the crossover freq. from X1 to X10 were both pushed in!! This meant I was crossing over from the LF at 1200 and not 120hz. How the the heck did they get pushed in? The rig has been set up and run weekly all summer, and only touched by me............Other times there have been issues with GFI's on the "shore power" cutting out, bad snakes proivded by venues (at the Stell Pulse show above) bad S video connectors for the projector, power too far from the equipment (always take the generator!) various connections being loose, (as well as I try packing the trailer, and driving slowly and smoothly, the bumps and vibrations take their toll), no sound through the board (various reasons), too much wind, too much rain, lack of provision by the venue to provide suitable screen ballast on hard surfaces, lack of venue lighting for load-out, bad DVD's, missing DVD's, ( I always carry a case of back-up classic DVD's in case of catastrophic failure of the customers chosen CD; you thought you were watching Nannie McPhee? Sorry, how about Indiana Jones?), more rain, too much ambient site lighting for proper screen image (a biggie), etc. etc. etc.
I have back-up plans for most scenarios; differrent ways to configure the gear and bypass problems so the show can go on, and also redundant pieces when possible; extra amps, DVD players, etc. There are a few pieces that if they fail, no show, as in the screen blower. Anyway, having to think on your feet just makes it fun. And no, nothing planned for Arkansas yet. Glad to hear about the power, though.

boputnam
09-01-2006, 08:05 AM
...somewhere different each week, so something is always throwing a wrench in the works and must be solved in a timely manner. Showtime is generally about 9 p.m. and it's amazing how busy you can be between 4:30 load-in and showtime. Boy-howdy. And the crew seem quite relaxed that once load-in is done, they can start laying back - that's when the work begins!! I never feel good until the mains are up, I've walked the house, "got Smaart" and checked the foldbacks.

It's astonishing the surprises that crop-up, Mike. Like you said, you are the only one using the rig and yet "things change". As an example I always page through the KT DN9848 DSP I/O settings during soundcheck (that sums to something like 60 "pages"...:help: ). They shouldn't change, right? Well, two-weeks ago the L-R slope was changed on both HPF to -12dB. WTF!!?? Now, this occurred after a strange power-up where the unit would not let me open the outputs, so I cycled it and it came up fine. But fer chrissake! Must be a default in the firmware, somewhere.

Enjoying this thread...

mikebake
09-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Boy-howdy. And the crew seem quite relaxed that once load-in is done, they can start laying back - that's when the work begins!! I never feel good until the mains are up, I've walked the house, "got Smaart" and checked the foldbacks.

It's astonishing the surprises that crop-up, Mike. Like you said, you are the only one using the rig and yet "things change". As an example I always page through the KT DN9848 DSP I/O settings during soundcheck (that sums to something like 60 "pages"...:help: ). They shouldn't change, right? Well, two-weeks ago the L-R slope was changed on both HPF to -12dB. WTF!!?? Now, this occurred after a strange power-up where the unit would not let me open the outputs, so I cycled it and it came up fine. But fer chrissake! Must be a default in the firmware, somewhere.

Enjoying this thread...
I travel alone usually, and the venue is contractually obligated to provide "four able-bodied, sober load-in people" This has varied from totally kick-ass help to totally worthless. I make them give me the cell phone number of the person responsible for the crew; usually no one wants to stick around for load-out. Last week load out only took 25 minutes!!! They were great. Sometimes it takes 1.5 hours!
No doubt the change you mentioned was that strange power-up. The thing about my gig is that it is part structural (always a new challenge for the guy ropes, etc.), part audio, and part video. Three weeks ago I switched to component video from S video, bought a new switcher, hooked it all up, and at show time all the color was wrong. I spun a CD and in 1.5 minutes had the new switcher out of the picture, the old switcher hooked up, lines run, and a picture. To hell with component, I'll figure it out down the road. I'm sure it was something simple, but since then I moved the component switcher into my new basement HT. S video actually looks fine, even blown up to 30 ft diagonal.

mikebake
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
A big part of the fun has been engineering solutions as I go, finding more efficent ways to pack and set up. A doodad here, a strap there.....
The leaders in outdoor cinema were using either regular stakes, or if the soil was soft, augers like this. http://www.wemaketents.com/images/pgacc_auger.jpg

I found these dudes. Meet The Penetrator (they are actually called that), which are much faster to install, much lighter, and hold more weight. If the ground is hard, I use an electric impact wrench. Bingo, 30 seconds instead of twisting the old style auger with some rebar for minutes on end, if you can get it into the ground at all.
"Developed specifically for the United States Army, the 18" Penetrator is a reusable screw anchor made of high quality, lightweight 356-T6 aluminum. http://www.americanea.com/images/penet/use1.jpgThe unique design of the Penetrator makes it the only earth anchor available that combines superior pullout resistance, ease of installation and dependability at an affordable price.
Its 1” hex head accommodates easy installation with a 3/4” impact wrench or ratcheting T-Handle. The wide cast-in lip or optional tie-off ring makes guying or tying-off exceptionally convenient in many applications.

Compared to straight-shank stakes or cumbersome augers, the distinctive design of the Penetrator anchor provides an impressive 2,500 pounds of holding power, more than enough to secure anything from a mailbox to a tool shed."

http://www.americanea.com/images/penet/pgold.jpg

Titanium Dome
09-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Very impressive.

mikebake
09-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Best answer is to use four of the same impedance drivers for the system to be balanced....
That is the way it came originally, of course. Finally got around this a.m. to installing some unused 2226HPL's, so now I'm back to the proper config.
Just in time for Ohio State season opener, and more importantly, the annual neighborhood movie, showing Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were Rabbit. Good flick for kids and adults, pretty funny, good video and audio. Check it out if you have kids, or even if you don't!! Also still recommending The Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins, which was the Harley dealers selection last week.

mikebake
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Working on the new domain I purchased for the screen;
www.bugflix.com (http://www.bugflix.com)

spkrman57
10-31-2006, 12:57 PM
What was wrong with "BakedBeans"???

Nice to see you posting Mike!!!!

Ron

mikebake
10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
It has always been BakeBean Productions. I'm buying a 2nd screen soon, and another projector, and putting a 2nd sound system in service. Something smaller and simpler, but still good sound and video. I need an easier system so I can send an employee out without much fear of complications.

moldyoldy
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey, Mike!
Glad to hear your venture is working out so well (planned expansion is a pretty good clue). It sounds like many of your gigs are "sold-out" in advance, which is a smart way to get a guaranteed door take, as I learned in a previous life catering hog roasts and fish frys, so that no-shows don't come out of your end. If you ever foresee any "open" (pay per admission) gigs, I'm sure there are others besides myself that would love to attend if you were nearby. Soooo, any chance of your posting a schedule of such upcoming events if there are any?

mikebake
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey, Mike!
Glad to hear your venture is working out so well (planned expansion is a pretty good clue). It sounds like many of your gigs are "sold-out" in advance, which is a smart way to get a guaranteed door take, as I learned in a previous life catering hog roasts and fish frys, so that no-shows don't come out of your end. If you ever foresee any "open" (pay per admission) gigs, I'm sure there are others besides myself that would love to attend if you were nearby. Soooo, any chance of your posting a schedule of such upcoming events if there are any?
Pretty much all of my gigs are free and open to the public, and underwritten by sponsors. I am fortunate to have what looks like at least 20+ dates for 2007 with the original screen, let alone the new one coming, and even more fortunately they are so far all within 30 miles of my home in Lima, Ohio. Right now I am going to spend the winter seriously rethinking some of the audio, to both improve the sound further and hopefully save weight/space and complexity. As in any venue, getting the mid/highs above the crowds head level is pretty much a must, and putting 91 lb. speakers on poles isn't realistic, but the lighter units just don't have the output for good dynamics in an outdoor setting with 500+ people. Having it easy to move and setup, and still fit everything in the trailer, is the issue. I want to use as much of my current rig as I can; powered units make sense by JBL, who I want to stick with, doesn't really offer any except a few subs and the EON's. I will probably stick with stacks and racks for the big rig and a sub and small two ways for the smaller screen.

Zilch
10-31-2006, 09:32 PM
JBL's new "compact" VP series powered units are due out in November.

Neodymium drivers, light weight.

Ask your rep about them....

mikebake
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Those are install models, not portable, and beyond that, they look to be "esspensive". Net Weight:
:
35.4 kg (78 lb)

Okay, just saw the weight;; these things ain't intended to be slung about or stuck on a pole. Not what I was talking about, Zilch.

Zilch
11-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Well, poo.

Hafta build 'em ourself, then. :p

Not sure about what amps, but the rest'd be doable over a winter.... :yes:

78 Lbs including the amp would be light, no?

mikebake
11-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Well, poo.

Hafta build 'em ourself, then. :p

Not sure about what amps, but the rest'd be doable over a winter.... :yes:

78 Lbs including the amp would be light, no?
Not for hoisting above shoulder height.

mikebake
11-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Recent indoor event; Wedding Crashers at Ohio State University Student Union Ballroom; 4 inches to spare until contacting the ceiling grid. Was hired by New Line Cinema for this gig.

mikebake
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Latest acquistion, for you videophiles.

I'm a big fan of the quality of Sanyos large venue projectors, but here's a groovy piece from Panasonic, the PT-DW5000U. Liquid cooled dual lamp, sealed lens system, both good features for my application. Arrives today. http://www.shopprojectorreviews.com/Manufacturers/panasonic/PTDW5000U/index.asp

"I almost hate going on and on with such enthusiasm, but I would have to say that the DW5000U is simply the most impressive commercial projector I have tested to date. I believe that, overall, to surpass this projector's overall performance, you will need to look to 3 chip DLP projectors costing $25,000 to $75,000+. I think that says it all. Congratulations to Panasonic. "
http://www.shopprojectorreviews.com/images-projectors-06/PT-DW5000U_fronttop.jpg

mikebake
06-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I also picked up one of these, just out. Honda eu6500is
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/images/model/eu6500is_240x208.jpgWill find out this weekend how well it powers the whole show, which my old one couldn't. The good thing is, the power is quite clean compared to regular generators. More than the sound, I need that for the high output projectors.

On a business note relating to an earlier post above, I garnered underwriting for this season from Time Warner and Arbys; they pay, and I get to choose where I take the show. Makes it easier.

mikebake
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
The Honda/Toyota dealership that is the primary sponsor paid $15000 and had an animated movie trailer made for me with my logo, to show before the feature. It's quite cool. if anyone would like to see it, email me and I'll send you a copy.

boputnam
06-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I also picked up one of these, just out. Honda eu6500isPretty cool...

Is that 6,000 watts? And only 60dB? Nice.

That 50 amp circuit oughta do you just fine...

mikebake
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
5500 watts steady, 6500 peak, generally runs about 54db. Sound can probably run out of headroom if everything is run on it at full tilt, so I may still run some of it on shore power when handy. Yes, 50 amps is good, but I'm not sure how it will behave when pushed, as opposed to stiff shore power.

Steve Schell
06-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Mike, I'm so happy to hear of the success of your business. You must be doing somethin' right to be getting those sponsorships. Maybe in five years you will have three or four crews running and you can kick back.

Your new projector looks like a winner. I bought an Epson Cinema 400 720p LCD projector for my digs a few weeks ago and have been delighted with it. I read a ton of Art's reviews before making a decision. I made a pretty decent screen from a sheet of plywood and lots of painting and sanding. Everyone who sees this thing says they want one, and one friend has taken the plunge. I think a lot of flat screen buyers would buy a projector instead if they could experience a decent demo.

mikebake
06-09-2007, 07:05 AM
I agree. In my basement I use an Infocus 7205 DLP, and it is quite the picture, and much more cost effective than the flat screens.

jim campbell
06-09-2007, 08:49 AM
5500 watts steady, 6500 peak, generally runs about 54db. Sound can probably run out of headroom if everything is run on it at full tilt, so I may still run some of it on shore power when handy. Yes, 50 amps is good, but I'm not sure how it will behave when pushed, as opposed to stiff shore power.gen sets should be kept to within 80% of rated output,at least as far as the stuff we use for lighting,and even though the new three phase gen sets claim that phase balance is not critical we usually try to keep within 30% of the highest leg.a clamp meter will usually be required and i made up a cable by removing the outer insulation layer.this isolates the hot to facilitate the clamp meter for accurate readings.i guess its probably good to mention that the inner insulation layer should remain intact and that this tool is used for test purposes only.

mikebake
06-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda wants the load balanced on this inverter. I've structured the loads accordingly. One nice advantage here is that generators have to run at a constant RPM to deliver 60 cycles; these inverters do not, and the engine RPM can vary based on load. For my show I turn this feature off so that the unit doesn't have to handle suddenly and frequently changing loads.

Lightweight and Compact Honda Inverter Generators
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/apicgen/imageinvert.gif
Honda boasts a sine wave equal to or better than the current from your household power.

Computers and power-sensitive testing equipment require what is referred to as “clean power.” Clean power is electrical current that is consistent and has a stable “sine wave” or signal. If the lights or other basic appliances in your home were being powered by a generator and there was a fluctuation in the AC power, you’d probably see the lights dim and then return to full brightness—no problem! However, if your computer was being powered by a generator and the voltage fluctuated, chances are the computer would either shut down or at least interrupt the program you were working in.

In order to overcome this problem, Honda engineers developed a revolutionary form of inverter technology. This process takes the raw power produced by the generator, passes it through a special microprocessor that provides ultra-clean power that boasts a sine wave equal to or better than the current from your household AC wall outlet. This means that for the first time, you can operate a computer or other sensitive equipment from a remote location without the fear of interrupted service or damage to the equipment.

Honda’s unique inverter technology also dramatically reduces the size and weight of the generator. This reduction is possible thanks to the fact that Honda EU-type generators have the alternator built into the engine itself, eliminating the need for a bulky (and heavy) independent alternator. The EU3000is model is actually half the size and weight of our top-of-the-line EX3300 model.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/apicgen/image1.gif
Another feature exclusive to the EU models is Honda’s EcoThrottle™ system. This system incorporates a load-dependent speed control-type governor that offers excellent fuel economy by automatically adjusting engine speed to the optimum level, given the usage load. This not only reduces fuel consumption and operating noise in the normal usage range, but it also keeps exhaust emissions to levels that clear even the strictest CARB and EPA emission standards.

jim campbell
06-09-2007, 09:32 AM
all of our big gen sets 800-1200 amp units normally run at 60 hz,and the frequency is constantly monitored and adjusted to prevent strobing.the camera speed has been known to at times line up with a multiple of the pulses from the lamps.we try to keep frequency down to under +-.05 hz but the guidelines allow for +-.1hz

mikebake
06-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I know that when I hire big units to run outdoor concerts/lights, the riders specify "Crystal Sync" generators.