PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing dust cover - glue?

dave_msp
04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
I've got an otherwise good E-140 with an annoying buzz coming from the aluminum dust cover. Gentle pressure at one edge eliminates the buzz, which leads me to believe the glue has let go in that spot.

Is there a recommended aftermarket glue to use for this purpose? Any caveats about doing this myself (not being a speaker repair tech)?

tia,
Dave

GordonW
04-25-2005, 09:01 PM
I've got an otherwise good E-140 with an annoying buzz coming from the aluminum dust cover. Gentle pressure at one edge eliminates the buzz, which leads me to believe the glue has let go in that spot.

Is there a recommended aftermarket glue to use for this purpose? Any caveats about doing this myself (not being a speaker repair tech)?

tia,
Dave

This is one case where the accelerated superglue (cyanoacrylate glue with accelerator or "zip kicker" spray) will probably save the day. These are commonly available from wood-finishing supply houses, such as Wood Finishers Supply and the like.

These superglues are thin enough to get into the cracks... and with the spray accelerator, you can coat the area with a thin coat, let it soak in for an instant or two, and then "zap" it into place, so it doesn't run into anything else.

It's nice, as you can use a relatively thin-consistency glue (I'd recommend what the woodworking people call a "medium" or "300" consistency glue for this), since you're "zapping" it before it has a chance to go places where it shouldn't go. This will allow enough penetration to fill the flawed area, while protecting the rest of the driver from glue seepage.

Be sure to put on a THIN layer along the original glue joint (around the perimeter of the dustcao), and only LIGHTLY SPRITZ the glue with the accelerator. If you "pile it on" with accelerator spray, it'll work fine... it'll just cure the glue too fast, which will make it take on a white "crazed" appearance. IME, this in no way degrades the strength; it just looks a bit off...

Regards,
Gordon.

dave_msp
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
(I'd recommend what the woodworking people call a "medium" or "300" consistency glue for this)
Thanks for the great info, Gordon. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I see that Rockler also offers a "flexible" CA glue (stock #67697"). Do you have experience with that? Would their #67681 "Medium" still be the better choice?

Would you recommend a new bead of glue all around the dust cover or only in the loosened region?

Dave

boputnam
05-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey, Dave...

Gordon gave a great idea there. Cool...

Were it me, and the dust cover comes off easily, I'd do the whole thing. Then you could consider the other glues you mentioned, too.

However, be aware these aluminum covers are verythin, and very easily dented, marred, scratched, etc.