PDA

View Full Version : 4425 Question

FredEmmerich
04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Does anybody know the recommended placement for a pair of 4425's? Also, which one is the left and which is the right, or does it matter?

thanks
Fred

Guido
04-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Keep them a little bit off the floor.

They are mirror imaged. The one with the horn to the right is right. Left accordingly.

FredEmmerich
04-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Would "a little bit" be just a few inches, or should I raise them to my ear height (12 inches+)? Also, how far apart should they be? With those horns are there any issues with distance to the side walls?

thanks!
Fred

DMMD
04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
A few notes:

It's my undertanding that the horizontal and vertical field dispersion of the horns allow for a greater range of placement options. (and, as a result, greater issues with room reflection and level control)

A "little bit" would refer to the need to prevent grounded bass boom from direct floor contact. IE- on the big brother 4430 and 4435, this would mean a couple of inches. IT doesn't mean that you can't raise them up a few feet if that's what your room/situation required. You'll see the large format monitors in studio photographs flush mounted in the walls several fet off the ground in some cases. Other photographs you will see them 2" off the floor in a standard near field array placement...

As I will be doing, experiment, experiment, experiment... that's part of the fun right? ;)

Good luck and be sure to remember which is your right right and your right left! :o:

Robh3606
04-22-2005, 05:33 PM
"Would "a little bit" be just a few inches, or should I raise them to my ear height (12 inches+)? Also, how far apart should they be? With those horns are there any issues with distance to the side walls?

thanks!
Fred"

Hello Fred

I would put the horns so my seated ear height is close to the horns axis. About 20" stands or so. But you need to experiment to find the best combination of height and wall distance that works best. I have 2344's and toe them in a bit to try to delay the first reflection on the wall. At 1K they throw a good 40 degrees off axis. Take a look at the response graphs in the 4425 brochure.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1985-4425.htm

Rob:)