PDA

View Full Version : Crossover troubles/opinions & help needed

RickL166
08-02-2003, 04:19 AM
I'll make a potential LONG story short.
I got a diaphram kit from RobertG(Thanks Again), thinking I had a blown 066 tweeter in one of my pair of L166s.
I take the tweeter and kit to a speaker repair shop in Ft.Worth and they test the tweeter and it works!!
I go home and swap tweeters and sure enough the tweeter works in the other speaker.
I'm a little perturbed and out of exasperation, I mock myself by adjusting the control for the tweeter, What good would it do, and
Damn if the tweeter doesn't come back to life!!!
Now I amazed.
After testing the controls, it seems I have a dead spot from just past +1 to just past +3, but it comes back to life at the very end, which if marked, would be +4.
There is sound all through the negative number range.
I prefer the setting for both the mid-range and tweeter at a point between +2 to +3, that seems to be ideal for my taste.

So my questions are

1) Do the crossover controls need a simple cleaning or is this a symptom of a bigger problem?

2) In the first step to rectify the problem is to clean the controls, What is the best cleaner/solvent to use for this???

Any help or experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Thanks,
Rick

GordonW
08-03-2003, 09:06 PM
If you wanna just try cleaning it, I'd recommend Caig De-Oxit D-5 spray. It's also available from Parts Express, # 341-200. I've rejuvenated LOTS of L-pads on lots of speakers, including JBLs, with these. Sometimes you run into a pad that's so corroded that it can't be fixed... but I'd say, probably 97.5% of the ones I run into, are just about good as new after a good spraying and about 50-100 control cyclings (to scrape away the loosened corrosion), followed by a small rinse spray...

If you want to try to forstall the need to tear things apart, this might be a good first step to try...

Regards,
Gordon.

RickL166
08-04-2003, 03:58 AM
GordonW

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!!!
:)