PDA

View Full Version : Everest (DD55000) link/pics

grumpy
04-14-2005, 02:04 PM
hadn't seen photos from these angles published before: :applaud:

(sorry if they're a repeat)

http://www.hifido.co.jp/merumaga/ippin/050304/index.html

hope the link (not mine) helps others with this project in mind. I couldn't make the
large horn assy fit my derived layout w/o a hole in the back... :banghead:
comforting to see JBL couldn't either. :blink:

-grumpy

Steve Gonzales
04-14-2005, 02:16 PM
God I love those speakers!. It looks like a LOT of time and effort in the R&D and on the manufacturing end too. Thanks for the post!

Robh3606
04-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Thats for that link what a great set of pictures!!!

Rob:bouncy:

duaneage
04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Still hard to believe they were marketed in a country where space in homes is at a premium and loud music is considered rude to the neighbors.

Titanium Dome
04-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Very nice. :applaud:

Chas
04-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks Grumpy. I still can't believe I passed on a chance to buy a pair for C$1500.00 about fifteen years ago!:banghead:

MatthiasA
04-16-2005, 03:17 PM
:applaud: :applaud: great link!

when my S2600 Project is finish i need a new Project .......

*g* no no ive no space.... my room is full

but the Everest is a interesting Speaker

Bernard Wolf
04-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks Grumpy. I still can't believe I passed on a chance to buy a pair for C$1500.00 about fifteen years ago!:banghead:

Man. don't tell me that.. where you on drugs , or what ? ;)

MatthiasA
04-17-2005, 09:43 AM
is anybody an owner of everest?where can i find dimensions .... messures ... of this speaker...
has anybody a datasheet ?
the Everest is a 3 way speaker?
greetings Matthias

MatthiasA
04-18-2005, 07:52 AM
i found this link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47092&item=7316122855&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7316273543&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID

can anybody buy this
and i get the messure and dimensions?

greetings Matthias Asselborn

4313B
04-18-2005, 07:59 AM
is anybody an owner of everest?where can i find dimensions .... messures ... of this speaker...
has anybody a datasheet ?
the Everest is a 3 way speaker?
greetings MatthiasAll this information is buried in this forum...

grumpy
04-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Matthias,

Check out the "similar threads" section below...
Getting specific, detailed measurements has been a challenge, but
everything else is there...

-grumpy

4313B
04-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Getting specific, detailed measurements has been a challenge, but
everything else is there...I didn't know you guys wanted them!

grumpy
04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
perhaps my fault. I'd begged here over a year ago and received a few nice wide angle
lens pictures that were essentially useless for scaling, but no physical measurements
other than what's in the official documentation (HxWxD). After that, you could hear a
pin drop & I let it go, content to be 'close enough'. Recent photos have emerged, such
as the link I posted, that have helped immensely.

If detailed measurements are available, I can sure start lining up my questions :)

-grumpy

4313B
04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Oh! My fault! :banghead:
I read "measurements" and immediately thought of acoustic measurements...:slink:

I swear we had an Everest owner on the forum... maybe that was years, and several forums ago... :dont-know

grumpy
04-18-2005, 10:10 AM
filling in some of the minor feature dimensions would be a start. A few vertical dimensions
e.g., the "toe-kick" height, below where the bass driver enclosure juts out, would be
nice too. Attached cartoon scale is off a bit, but major elements are there of a top view.
Any useful comments would be great.

cheers and thanks as always.

Robh3606
04-18-2005, 10:13 AM
"I swear we had an Everest owner on the forum... maybe that was years, and several forums ago... :dont-know"

Hello Giskard

We did and I think he is still a member. He posted a nice set of photo's for us

Rob:)

Robh3606
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
The Rest

4313B
04-18-2005, 10:23 AM
"I swear we had an Everest owner on the forum... maybe that was years, and several forums ago... :dont-know"

Hello Giskard

We did and I think he is still a member. He posted a nice set of photo's for us

Rob:)Ah! Well maybe he can take measurements for us?
Thanks Rob! :)

grumpy
04-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks Rob,

I remember ~1/2 of those photos from when I first stumbled upon this site. Great to get
some more :applaud: that you saved or dug up.

Earl K
04-18-2005, 12:51 PM
- Anyone notice the large "Arcotronics" (http://www.arcotronics.us/) MKP motor run caps in that crossover ?

- It's news to me that JBL used any motor run caps / let alone in a K2 product.

:)

grumpy
04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
yyyyyup. only parts that look original are the board & switch/knob.
interesting, but highly modified. Tim Allen does Everest... (I rewired it)

probably sounds great though :bouncy:

jarrods
04-22-2005, 02:21 AM
I swear we had an Everest owner on the forum... maybe that was years, and several forums ago... :dont-know

well my brother owns a pair... forum member 'Darren'

brought them at a Jands clearance auction in Sydney, Australia about 15 years ago.

jarrod

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2469

grumpy
04-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jarrods,

Think we could impose on your brother to break out a ruler and take some DD55000
measurements? :bouncy:

-grumpy

Darren
04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
My Everests are in near mint condition and totally original.

The right flare has some scratches on the top from the grill frame breaking during transit and rubbing against the fibreglass.

I’m willing to help with as many measurements and hi-res photos as you want as far as I’m comfortable disassembling them.

I’d rather do them all in one hit if I can, they are very heavy to move around

Darren

Darren
04-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I also have a white paper titled "The JBL Project Everest Constant Imaging System" written by John Eargle printed on a dot-matrix printer with a hand drawn top view cutaway and lots of data but unfortunately I only have every second page due to a Jands only photocopying one side of the document when I purchased the speakers.

Does anybody else have this document?

Darren

Tom Loizeaux
04-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow, these are pretty cool! No need to toe these in toward the listener.
It appears to me that the woofer is a K145. Interesting that JBL chose that woofer to mate with the 2425H...and then the wonderful 2405.
A nice system indeed.
(...I wonder if it sounds as good as my 4343s...?)

Tom

herve M
04-23-2005, 04:22 AM
Wow, these are pretty cool! No need to toe these in toward the listener.
It appears to me that the woofer is a K145. Interesting that JBL chose that woofer to mate with the 2425H...and then the wonderful 2405.
A nice system indeed.
(...I wonder if it sounds as good as my 4343s...?)

Tom

Hi Tom, everest very very better!!! "THE SOUND"....

Jan Daugaard
04-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

I intend to buy the single Everest horn for sale on Ebay. The sole purpose is to make exact measurements such that I can make a pair of Everest horns.

I will make the CAD drawings of the horn freely available to the fellow members of the LHF, so please don't outbid me ...

Jan D.

Bernard Wolf
04-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey there Grumpy and Jan - I know you guys would really like to scale this mountain called Everest and roll your own... but man, have you checked out the size of these things? I hope you have a seriously large room to put them in. I own the 3100's and use them in a 650sq. ft. room and have on occasion lusted after the Everest but figure they probably would not be a good fit, even in this large a room.. Have either of you considered the poor mans Everest, the 3100? More specificaly, have either of you heard both of them? Would be real curious as to how different/similar they might sound.

Bernard

Darren
04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Measurements and a bunch of photos have been taken and mailed directly to Jan

Maybe he can CAD them up and post them for future reference

Interestingly as far as the room size, they sounded best in a small room

I had them in a small unit/flat set about 10 feet apart and the listening position was about 10 feet back, that’s the best I have ever heard them

Since then I have had them in two larger rooms that are longer than they are wide, when they are placed against the shorter wall they require tow out to get the imaging correct.

They do sound GREAT much more detailed than my 4435s but then again my 35s are setup for concert listening levels in my entertainment room running them tri-amped with a DBX Drive rack studio and Australian Monitor AM3002 on the low bass, AM1600 on the mid bass and a Yamaha P2200 on the top end, so not what you would call a pure Hi-Fi setup.

I can understand why there aren’t too many pairs around in Australia, as I understand they retailed here for around AU$25K in mid 80s, you could buy a cheap house (in a bad area) or two new nice family cars with that sort of cash back then!

MatthiasA
04-25-2005, 05:25 AM
thank you Darren for pictures! i got all

in the middle of june i will start! after my exams!
in the next weeks the Horn will be arrived

greetings Matthias

Jan Daugaard
04-26-2005, 02:24 AM
I would like to thank the fellow members of the LHF for showing restraint -- it would appear that Matthias, who made the bid at Ebay, was the only bidder.

Now for some even better news: Matthias will be making glasfiber casts of the 2346. It is too early to give the specifics of colour, weight, price, and shipping from Germany, but they will be made available in due course. Matthias will begin by making 4 casts for me.

You may send Matthias a PM right away to indicate your interest, and he will return to you when the specifics are available.

Thanks again!
Jan D.

Cyclotronguy
04-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Matthias;

If I can afford them I want a pair.... please keep us posted on your progress!

Cyclotronguy

Ian Mackenzie
04-27-2005, 11:17 AM
What!,

Don't you like your Rushmores anymore?:eek:

Ian

Michael Smith
04-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Yes I have a copy of that white paper,Yes I even have a copy of the owners hand book and Yes believe it or not I still have the wooden handled phillips screwdriver that was rattling around in the left hand cabinet of your very pair.Getting spooked yet!
Sorry I'm just messin with you,But the above is 100% correct.
I wanted to buy them myself but already had 4430 at home,pissed off really but least I had them for a good 6 months have heaps of photos and memories.
Just a bit of trivia
Regards
Michael

MatthiasA
04-28-2005, 05:20 AM
in the middle of june when my school is over i start the everest project
i think one selfmade horn will be about 150-200 euros

greetings