PDA

View Full Version : Call for Moderators

Don McRitchie
04-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Recent events have proven that there is the need for forum moderators beyond just myself. I cannot be on line all of the time and quite frankly, find it impossible to even read every post (we are approaching 200 posts per day). I would like to see a number of moderators so that there is a good chance that there will always be someone online if the need arises to moderate a thread.

I have a two basic criteria for moderators. They must be daily participants on this forum. They should be regarded as even handed and objective by the vast majority of members.

Given that the role of moderator is in many ways thankless, I am going to take the approach of calling for nominations and then try and twist their arms into taking on the role. I'm afraid that a strict call for volunteers may not result in too many takers. To start things off, I have three nominations (in alphabetical order)

Boputnam
Mr. Widget
Robh3606

Feel free to add your own nominations or comment on these.

scott fitlin
04-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I might be up to the task!

Providing you think Im level headed enough!

Don McRitchie
04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
You have my vote.

louped garouv
04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
would be great for mods...... (ha ha ha) JFWY

but they all seem super knowledgable, helpful and don't start no S**T (normally)

my .02

jblnut
04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm up for it - I'm usually online and it's pretty similar to my SysAdmin day job....

Maybe you can break it down into one "assistant" moderator per forum to help you out with the volume. I'd also recommend getting some folks from overseas involved so that they can cover the off hours. Ian comes to mind immediately and there are several great members in Europe that would probably jump at the chance...

jblnut

yggdrasil
04-14-2005, 04:08 PM
All nominations given are saluted.

JBLnut is right about having moderators from different timezones, to cover the day better.

I think hofmannhp would be a good candidate.

I will also be able to do the job.

Alex Lancaster
04-14-2005, 05:08 PM
:) I think all the aforementioned will be good, there are others, but let them step forward.

Mr. Widget
04-14-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree with the nut... and with that I will also cast my vote for Hofmann.

Widget

boputnam
04-14-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm up for it - I'm usually online and it's pretty similar to my SysAdmin day job.... And, you successfuly side-stepped the La Brea tar pits of PSS land. You did well. You got my vote.

On ProSound web, they parse out the moderator duties by the equivalent of our Main Forums: General, Technical Help, Marketplace, Off Topic, and Forum Issues. There might be merit in that structure, here. This place has, and is, growing. Whomever is eligible and nominated, should thereby be specifically considered.

Duties would, of course, necessarily incorporate trying to maintain some semblance of structural order here - i.e., when Threads are started innocently (or hurriedly) in the wrong place, they need by expeditiously moved to their rightful resting place.

Don McRitchie
04-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Okay

I think we have enough names. For now, the list of moderators is:

Boputnam
Hofmannhp
Ian Mackenzie
JBLnut
Mr. Widget
Robh3606
scott fitlin
yggdrasil

I'm going to assign you all moderator status. For now, all that means is that you will see a couple of new forums at the bottom of the main page. Meet meet me in the new "Moderator's Chat" forum to discuss further.

Chas
04-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey, no fair...Bo will zap all the L100 posts!:D

pmakres1
04-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey, no fair...Bo will zap all the L100 posts!:D

Yes it seems I heard something about a war over the L100's. What was that or shouldn't I ask?:blink:

Mr. Widget
04-14-2005, 07:44 PM
It is more of an inside joke... Bo likes to be the bad boy and 'dis' America's favorite JBL.

Widget

pmakres1
04-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Bo like to be the bad boy and dis America's favorite JBL.

Oh. Shame on you Bo!http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Peter

boputnam
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Just call me Darwin of the JBL Legacy - we need to upgrade our species and experience higher and more evolved forms of fine JBL engineering... :)

John
04-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Well I missed most of the turmoil that went on, but with all the moderaters that we might be signing up, it will be like having 8 new Marshalls in Dodgehttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif

boputnam
04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
:rotfl:

Hey, John...

Not an unreasonable sentiment. I've not been consulted, but I can share that on other forums which are growing at this rate they have parsed out the oversight and it works by of awareness - that is, members know they will get detention if they stray and compromise the intent and opportunity of the forum.

Misinterpretations occur, very commonly from error in deciphering context, and the moderator role is to guide the thread to a safe and constructive landing - it is not to inhibit, obstruct nor dominate.

Recusing myself from myself, I can vote that Don's nominees fulfill that role aptly, IMO.

John
04-14-2005, 09:40 PM
I agree they are all good choices, but we all have to stop and think, and remember this is a meeting place to exchange ideas and make friends, If you want to start a war run for political office and stay the hell out of here. OOPS can I say "HELL"http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Mr. Widget
04-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I think the point is we don't want to start wars, but sometimes even the most thoughtful of us say things that on reflection we wish we hadn't. Hopefully having someone available to nudge the discussion gently but appropriately it will self correct... I believe that is the goal anyway.

Oh what the hell... (oops, I said it too) this forum is still growing up and these are growing pains.

Widget

boputnam
04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
...If you want to start a war run for political office and stay the hell out of here. Bingo. Moderators do not start war - never seen it happen.

As Don now does steer us to sanity, so will they. I believe, they will only moderate those crossing the appropriate etiquette line, and will maintain and sustain a semblance of order and global opportunity for contribution...

At the worst, this will partially relieve Don of the growing duty, and hopefully his new-found time will be manifest in posting more archival insight. :yes:

Titanium Dome
04-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Well I missed most of the turmoil that went on, but with all the moderaters that we might be signing up, it will be like having 8 new Marshalls in Dodgehttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif

Or more like one Doc, one Miss Kitty, three Newlies, two Chesters, and a Festus, but I'll let you decide which is whom.

All I can say is Festus better not knock the L100s or I'll be on him like ugly on an ape, or stink on a hog, or stubborn on a mule, or :blah: :blah:

Titanium Dome
04-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Just call me Darwin of the JBL Legacy - we need to upgrade our species and experience higher and more evolved forms of fine JBL engineering... :)

Hence, your love for the Tik, Performance, K2, and Synthesis lines, no doubt, Charles? :p

Ian Mackenzie
04-14-2005, 11:31 PM
I've been quite distant from all this crap (9000 miles away) and I wonder if this is an over reaction.

The last spill or real punch up (discounting Yuri) was some months ago.

In my experience on diyaudio.com over 4 years now is that intense moderation does not help as the beans a spilt by the time a moderator steps in.

Prevention is better than a cure, and self regulation can work.

We have sin bin over there where offenders are put for 30 days - 3months.

Of course open threats are un acceptable and should be give a life ban if no appology or mediation can be sort.

ian

Hofmannhp
04-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Okay

I think we have enough names. For now, the list of moderators is:
Boputnam
Hofmannhp
Ian Mackenzie
JBLnut
Mr. Widget
Robh3606
scott fitlin
yggdrasil

Thanks Guys for your kind nomination.....I love you all....
but it's not easy for me to follow the forums traffic regular in cause of a lot of project work in different countries during the next 8 or more months. This may cause some 4 or 5 days of absence in Russia, Libya, Luxembourg and a lot of cities in germany. Beside this....ok, let's go.
Well...I don't hink that the language will not be the problem.....guess you understood what I had to say.
The above named highly appreciated member-friends have my vote.....BTW: whats with Alex Lancaster? and Guido?

HP

pmakres1
04-15-2005, 07:22 AM

....and that's what I was doing when I upgraded my L100's with the L220's 23 years ago. But, for some reason, I still miss my L100's. I don't know what it is about the L100...:dont-know

Peter

boputnam
04-15-2005, 07:29 AM
All I can say is Festus better not knock the L100s or I'll be on him like ugly on an ape, or stink on a hog, or stubborn on a mule, or :blah: :blah: :rotfl:

Hilarious!

scott fitlin
04-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Adult language, within reason, should be considered acceptable, in my opinion, on this forum! Unless the language being used is to intimidate or make threat!

HELL, its as simple as that!

:D

pmakres1
04-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Adult language, within reason, should be considered acceptable, in my opinion, on this forum! Unless the language being used is to intimidate or make threat!

I agree 100 percent. This way, we can have a HELL of a good time here!! :applaud:

Way to go Scott!

Peter

yggdrasil
04-15-2005, 08:03 AM

Yes, I agree.

More moderators should not mean more involvement in discussions. It should mean better response when the line is crossed.

boputnam
04-15-2005, 08:28 AM
More moderators should not mean more involvement in discussions. It should mean better response when the line is crossed. Yes, that is all.

Except: Johnny, would you get that child off your speaker! :rotfl:

4313B
04-15-2005, 08:39 AM
My reason for suggesting moderators was due to the fact the Robh3606 or Mr. Widget could have prevented further posts and moved the exchange offline. They were both in attendance. They are perfectly aware of the difference between a heated exchange and a full blown confrontation.

Certain posts were made, very early on, and the authors could have been asked by a moderator for clarification and modification. I think moderators are required as this site continues to slip from being the place to go for top notch information and technical expertise to just another yammerfest on the net.

The other day I received a PM with something like "This site has changed, I think you know what I mean." That was it. Nothing more. This from a perspective of years, not months. Yes indeed it has changed... I'm hoping we can reverse the current trend while still making this site "fun". I think we can. There is a plethora of serious talent on this site. Some have never posted and in the current climate they never will. I'm not talking about people who blow in here and make inflamatory remarks out of the clear blue and make statements as to why they've never posted here, I'm talking about the real deal. Those guys wouldn't currently waste a nanosecond blowing in here to post anything whatsoever. I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

I'm not going to elaborate, to do so would mean I could leave this post up for about five nanoseconds before deleting it. - This site has the potential to explode in the coming months. The wealth of real, factual, technical and historical information here is already staggering. The very companies who created the information now come here to reference that information. I would imagine it could increase by an order of magnitude.

boputnam
04-15-2005, 09:09 AM
There is a plethora of serious talent on this site. Some have never posted and in the current climate they never will... I'm talking about the real deal. Those guys wouldn't currently waste a nanosecond blowing in here to post anything whatsoever. I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

This site has the potential to explode in the coming months. The wealth of real, factual, technical and historical information here is already staggering. The very companies who created the information now come here to reference that information. I would imagine it could increase by an order of magnitude. Beauty, dood! :thmbsup:

Titanium Dome
04-15-2005, 10:32 AM
I think moderators are required as this site continues to slip from being the place to go for top notch information and technical expertise to just another yammerfest on the net.

The other day I received a PM with something like "This site has changed, I think you know what I mean." That was it. Nothing more. This from a perspective of years, not months. Yes indeed it has changed... I'm hoping we can reverse the current trend while still making this site "fun". I think we can. There is a plethora of serious talent on this site. Some have never posted and in the current climate they never will. I'm not talking about people who blow in here and make inflamatory remarks out of the clear blue and make statements as to why they've never posted here, I'm talking about the real deal. Those guys wouldn't currently waste a nanosecond blowing in here to post anything whatsoever. I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

I'm not going to elaborate, to do so would mean I could leave this post up for about five nanoseconds before deleting it. - This site has the potential to explode in the coming months. The wealth of real, factual, technical and historical information here is already staggering. The very companies who created the information now come here to reference that information. I would imagine it could increase by an order of magnitude.

As one of the probable yammerers and one of the likely suspects in the "This site has changed, I think you know what I mean." lineup, I have a couple of observations I'd like to share. Okay, I will.

One, the perpetuation of a heritage requires two things: 1) eyewitnesses, experts, and participants in the real time heritage event who share what they saw, learned, and did; and 2) students, aficianados, and fans who are drawn to the heritage by sharing in some way the experience of those in 1) and who want to learn, see, and do the same kind of things, even if vicariously through the expertise of others.

Without both, the heritage will be lost. That's why I can read Dante today, read hundreds of books about him and his works, and talk with thousands of Dante fans worldwide, even hundreds of years after his death.

Two, new blood in a group will always tend to dilute it or at least press its comfort zone. So, I yammer away about newer stuff more than most veterans would, but IMO it helps to keep the heritage as a living thing, rather than a sacrosanct relic from a few golden years.

What can be debilitating, though, is the casual surfer who pops in with a moronic or inflammatory post, then flits out to cause trouble elsewhere; or worse, someone who's been booted or shunned off a forum and tries to find refuge on another site.

Just to be clear, I'm not taking Giskard's comments personally, but I am speaking for the new blood and the idea of growth and change, while respecting the legacy. Giskard, Earl K, Ian, Steve(s), Widget, and so many others have helped and inspired me immensely. Plus, I've reveled in the ribald humor from time to time and the general lack of prudishness.

I'd hate to see this place become another dopey forum filled with moronic comments and boneheaded questions, almost as much as I'd hate to see it become another bastion of politically correct, sanitized, dogmatic, moderated, sanctimonious, censored discussion. With the correct amount of moderation (pun intended), we can avoid both.

And Giskard, what the hell were you thinking? I hope you were thinking that sharing is a good thing and that it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. People look up to you and respect your opinions and even trust you, in part because you're not a high maintenance prima donna. You're just a great guy.

mikebake
04-15-2005, 12:00 PM
"I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

Speakers are fascinating things for some of us, and yield satisfaction. There are bad approaches, good approaches, and better approaches, and you apparently like to help define what the better approaches are. This site is a generally enjoyable ongoing discourse in furthering our knowledge of something we like and admire. Hey, these things are ADDICTIVE!!
I mean, lets take a comparison to SEX! Men not only like it, they also TALK about it!! HA! Too bad we can't improve the frequency (of) response in that arena!:D

Hofmannhp
04-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Recent events have proven that there is the need for forum moderators beyond just myself. I cannot be on line all of the time and quite frankly, find it impossible to even read every post (we are approaching 200 posts per day). .....................

Hi Don, Hi All,
now that some load is gone.......let' talk about how one (or two) special forumites can help you to fill the library with the new stuff.
As we all know, your pay job is still existing and needs a lot of time.
Is this worth to discuss it? What do you think about?

HP

boputnam
04-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Too bad we can't improve the frequency (of) response in that arena!:D Yea, I agree.

But I think I know what my problems are... :o:

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Excellent summary Ti Dome,

These thoughts may help will help Don shape the Forum of Today and Tomorrow.
I think we need to look further than the traditional Forum model for a structure that will accommodate everyone.

Perhaps there needs to be a Yammer / newbie lounge or chat room where new blood or who ever can shoot the breeze without blowing off the egg heads.

We could also layer some of the forums to isolate the catagories you have identified or even idenfity the status of a member in a more obvious way.

Prevention as alway is better than a cure.

Ian

Titanium Dome
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
lets take a comparison to SEX! Men not only like it, they also TALK about it!! HA! Too bad we can't improve the frequency (of) response in that arena!:D

I've spent a lot of time trying to get lower and lower frequencies in one and higher frequencies in the other. Unfortunately, I keep getting it reversed: higher frequencies in audio and lower frequencies in sex.

Yet, how can I complain, as this photo illustrates my high/low frequency projects?

pmakres1
04-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Yea, I agree.

But I think I know what my problems are... :o:

Yeah, you really should trim the beard dude.

And, I really hate to say it, but maybe a few less pizza deliveries...:barf:

Titanium Dome
04-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Perhaps there needs to be a Yammer / newbie lounge or chat room where new blood or who ever can shoot the breeze without blowing off the egg heads.

Ian

Ian, I run into guys (and gals) all over the net who are nuts about their JBLs--their Northridge E Series or their Studio Series or their SCS or their HLS series stuff. Predictably they get nailed by sods who brag about their Rockets/Axioms/Ascends/Meridians/Polks/Sonus Fabers/Delecto Inflagrante Supremos or whatever. When I can I back them up and give them some public support, but I really wish I had somewhere to send them.

However, I hesitate to send them here, and usually I don't. Not only would it be an imposition on the form and substance of this site, but it'd open them up to a different kind of ridicule, I think. Who wants to be a second class citizen in his own country?

So the idea of an active forum for the lower end consumer style products, perhaps modeled differently and offering an introduction to the Lansing Heritage is a great idea. Also, it's likely to be some extra work for somebody. I'd be up for helping do that.

After all, your bastard children are still your children, right Mr. Jefferson?

alskinner
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
I really don't know what went on with the post that caused all this, just bits and pieces, but I have come to regard most members with respect. Not that I don't disagree and have at times been tempted to bang out a quick curt reply because my emotions were getting the best of me.

Don, has done a tremendous job at keeping the forum on track and without his guidance I feel the Forum would have headed south long ago. I do agree that he needs some backup since the forum has grown exponentially since I first lurked around 3 years ago.

Another thing that I feel would help is to all become moderators per se. There have been times when posts were heading down an ugly path when someone would throw a joke in or ask for clarification and difuse the situation before it got out of hand. Of course a thick skin is needed for this type of intervention too, since at times the antaganism between the two parties will turn against the person trying to intervene.

I have read everypost that is still standing been on since May 2004 and researched a lot of the older posts. After a while you learn everyones writing style and can usually tell when someone is having a bad day.

At the end of the day it should still all be about the music and JBL. It would really sadden me to see some of the great minds of this forum leave because of lack of mutual respect. Although, as pointed out there will always be the guy that buzzes in causes as much trouble as he can and gets out. As much as possible ignore them and they will usually go away and hunt somewhere else.

I can learn about JBL from books and Technical Bulletins but nothing replaces the experience found on this site.

Just My .02 worth

AL

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 05:19 PM
One thing about the forums is they are very one dimensional, its a one way comms ticket.

Gotta loosen up too.

Time for some Ice breakers.

Ever rung up forum buddy? You get a much better appreciation of who they are and what they are about. You can still have an arguement with them on the forums but there is respect and you know how far you can go and how to appeal their mentality. You can make some great friends on the forums.

Get together. Its a bit weird at first.......you think hey what...I never figured he was this sort a chap.......Do it! Try not to wear the same shirt every where you go. I had the time of my life meeting forum members last year.

You guys need to get out a bit and make the effort.

Show your face. What's so hard about it? Your less incline to say the wrong thing with the guy looking straight at you.

We did this in a thread a while back and everyone go a real kick out of it.

Ian

Yeah I know that shirt.Muhahah.you guys gotta send me an official JBL T shirt (XL). The chick who took this pic was well stacked!

alskinner
04-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Also don't exagerate too much on the posts :eek:

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Okay you wanted to know. Apparently from Virginia...the encounter was amusing.:coolness:

For a moment there I thought they were going to fall out and we'd both be goners.

Now just who is moderating this dang thread!

Ian

pmakres1
04-15-2005, 06:22 PM
You weren't kidding were you! :jawdrop:

boputnam
04-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Now just who is moderating this dang thread! Doh!! That'd be YOU!!

Don!!

Robh3606
04-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Oh Ok

You want to look over the rail?? Ok just don't lean to far over OK

Oh Shit!!!

Rob:D

4313B
04-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Ever rung up forum buddy? You get a much better appreciation of who they are and what they are about. You can still have an arguement with them on the forums but there is respect and you know how far you can go and how to appeal their mentality. You can make some great friends on the forums.

Show your face. What's so hard about it?Yeah, phone calls are great. Mr. Widget called me once, I can't get him to do it again... I've offered money and loudspeaker parts and he still won't budge.

Showing the face thing? We have a little organization over here Ian called the FBI and they have access to these books full of snapshots... 'nuff said? ;)

4313B
04-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Obviously she'd survive the fall if she landed just right.

Robh3606
04-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Might even make it all the way back up if the bounce was right.

Rob:)

pmakres1
04-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Show your face. What's so hard about it? Your less incline to say the wrong thing with the guy looking straight at you.

...it's a few years old but I don't look too much different, just a little more snow on top.

Peter

Robh3606
04-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Here's me and Ian at the bar. He's not wearing his favorite shirt though?? I am wearing mine.

boputnam
04-15-2005, 08:08 PM
He's not wearing his favorite shirt though?? His favorite shirt is the one he's wearing - same way he thinks about his favorite girlie... :D

I think he's got that part right on...

pmakres1
04-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Here's me and Ian at the bar. He's not wearing his favorite shirt though?? I am wearing mine.

I don't remember who mentioned the JBL shirts but I think we should all have one!

Peter

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, phone calls are great. Mr. Widget called me once, I can't get him to do it again... I've offered money and loudspeaker parts and he still won't budge.

Showing the face thing? We have a little organization over here Ian called the FBI and they have access to these books full of snapshots... 'nuff said? ;)

So you have been a naughty Boy......

Yeah well Bo had Homeland security all over him at SF airport when he waved his Giskard poster to attracted my attention. Frankly I looked the other way and muttered no it can't be happening...the cheeky bastard.LOL

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 09:38 PM

Yeah I think that was Friday afternoon around Midtown NY, The Lansing Mafia about to sack the Project May Team...LOL.

Who else....I think all the Moderators should by default show the face..come on you guys.

Here one V.I.P member (at the foot of the stairs) we never see or hear much of, John Nebel. Where would we be without John our ISP sponsor!

Ian

boputnam
04-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Here one V.I.P member (at the foot of the stairs) we never see or hear much of, John Nebel. Where would we be without John our ISP sponsor! "The Shining" comes to mind, but I actually think that's where John keeps his hummingbird collection... ;)

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I think that was the Stanely Steamer Mansion actually.

The real collection is down in the cellar as you know.

Ian

4313B
04-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Looks like Estes Park, Colorado...

My dad was a moly miner outside of Leadville.

On the subject of Colorado - This is my favorite mountain. Which mountain is it?

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes it was.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 11:21 PM

On the subject of Colorado - This is my favorite mountain. Which mountain is it?

I am not sure, the day we were there the weather closed in so we could not see the peaks. John tried to driver above the cloud line but the road was closed. It sure is a beautiful spot.

When I get back over there I would go later in the year and have another look, Montana is also on my list.

Ian

4313B
04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Ah yes, I've been there when it rolls in over a clear blue sky startlingly fast. It can become quite menacing. Those folks are used to it though I suppose. Just curious - what did you think of the sky in the Rockies? Have you ever seen a sky so blue? Nowhere in the United States have I ever seen such perfectly clear deep blue sky. I just stand there in wonder.

My uncle lives in Australia Ian.
U.S. Navy - Shoreleave - Australian girl - never came home.

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 11:31 PM
No guessing who this is in warmer surrounds....the photo says it all..our Robert.

But what beach is it?

Ian

4313B
04-15-2005, 11:33 PM
I've only spent roughly 36 hours in N.Y.C. :(

Easily the most exciting town I've ever seen.

Long Beach? Or did you guys go south?

Mr. Widget
04-15-2005, 11:38 PM

No Joke?

Damn... road trip! Lansing Heritage NYC Convention... or some such silliness!

Got into the mug thing... here is Mr. Widget preparing to adjust a tweeter.

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Oh Shit!... I just saw that silly title under Mr. Widget!:bs:

I think an edit is in order....

Widget

4313B
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
No! Keep it! :)

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Ah yes, I've been there when it rolls in over a clear blue sky startlingly fast. It can become quite menacing. Those folks are used to it though I suppose. Just curious - what did you think of the sky in the Rockies? Have you ever seen a sky so blue? Nowhere in the United States have I ever seen such perfectly clear deep blue sky. I just stand there in wonder.

My uncle lives in Australia Ian.
U.S. Navy - Shoreleave - Australian girl - never came home.

Yes when I flew over it was clear as a bell, a very healthy place but I noticed the air was thinner up there. John goes mountain bike riding as I understand it, he must be used to the mountain air.

You know measuring drivers up there would be a pain with change in air density and temperature. Avalon are based in Denver aren't they?

Oddly the day I arrived in Denver it was 80F and the day I left it snowed driving all the way from Boulder out the the airport. My knees were knocking together all the way, it was scary and I only just made it.

Sounds like your uncle met the right gal!

Ian:cheers: its that time of the day here.

4313B
04-15-2005, 11:48 PM
2:48 AM here. I'm going to go turn on the History Channel and pass out.
l8tr :cheers:

Ian Mackenzie
04-16-2005, 12:22 AM

Long Beach? Or did you guys go south?

Ah, we went and drove up around Fire Island and here we are at Jones Beach. I bought a coffee mug here just for kicks. I loved every moment of it.

That was of course b/n sessions in Robert's JBL bunker..one must get some fresh air ocassionally.

Speaking of fresh air prior to that I went from Denver to New England and then got a lift into Boston, picked up a hire car and drove up to Salem and stayed over at the Hawthone Hotel..a charming place.

Then the next day I made my way down via Lynn around the coast, through the tunnel bypass at Boston (are the big diggs finished yet?) and down to Cape Code and stayed over a Skaket Beach. The drive up to P town via Cape Cod Lighthouse was further than I expected..a funky place to hang around and chill out for a bit.

I then went back up to Boston for the tourist thing and stayed at the Buckmaster hotel. Plenty of great clubs around the West End and heard some live jazz....Boston is very much like Melbourne back home here.

Travelling over there is probably one of the best things I ever did and I would'nt have done it the way I did without this forum and you guys!

But where I am really coming from here is you have such a diversity of culture in the U.S.A and to be bought all together here on the Forums over a common interest or passion is very cool. :coolness:

Its not surprising therefore some of us see things a little differently around here. Ya don't say.....

Ian

Earl K
04-16-2005, 05:52 AM
BTW ; I just want to say hello & welcome to our new moderators :wave: :yes: :thmbsup:

:cheers:

4313B
04-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Yeah, that reminds me that I need to invite a few high schoolers over from some other forums to test our new moderators out... :rotfl:

Ian Mackenzie
04-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Yeah, that reminds me that I need to invite a few high schoolers over from some other forums to test our new moderators out... :rotfl:

You were'nt asleep long enough....back to bed, my turn to flake.

4313B
04-16-2005, 07:47 AM
:rotfl: I was wondering if you'd noticed that.

I was up chatting with Mr. Widget until 4 AM after signing off here.
Anyway, back to 4435 networks...

Mr. Widget
04-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Damn... I just got up. He's not kidding.
Dude get back to the History Channel.:D

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
04-16-2005, 05:25 PM

I have just been reviewing all the posts.

Are you sure about this?...says the cop on the street corner

I do recall this caused a melt down in V 2 or V 3 of the forums over the L100.

You do remember the L100 lover don't you!

Ian:rotfl:

alskinner
04-16-2005, 06:13 PM

The L100 most would agree is not the crowning achievement of JBL technology. Not that it was the worst speaker JBL ever produced. The one thing it did do is put JBL on the consumer map. Without the hype that surronded it, many of our members might never of heard of JBL There are some people who are fond of their L100s for both nostaligic and there are some who love the sound.

Back to the point: The audio industry is evolving by leaps and bounds. It's taking a lot of self control not to buy a DEQX now (even if it is made in Austalia hehehe). This is an instrument while not a cure all goes a long way in correcting some of the issues with loudspeaker design that has plagued us for years.

JBL too is evolving but at times I'm not sure where too. Drivers like the 435Be of the 1400nd show great advances but are not available to the normal American Consumer. I understand the marketing bottom line but it would be nice to be able to taste test and work with these and other fine new drivers especially to the people who are trying to get the word out about JBL.

Anyway the future does look bright for audio, having said that there are many of the old drivers and configurations that can now produce excellent results with the advance in active filters, DSP processing, phase correction and charged coupled crossovers. Heck we may find with enough evolution in electronics that indeed the L100 was the finest speaker after all.
Waiting for the bullets to Fly

AL :blink:

Ian Mackenzie
04-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Your right Al,

Actually Don has posted an excellent account of the L100 Legacy previously and its certainly worth a search.

Speaking as a forum member here (not the moderator) I own a pair myself and they are a delightful system although I equally respect the more advanced designs, its kinda fun to play both at various times.

I while back I made a series of posts in a L100 thread debating the merits of the L100 as a reference to ascertain the effect of modifications to some class A amps I was building at the time.

To the surprise of even myself the L100 was able to dstinguish subtle changes to the design so there is some credence to your closing comments.
However, the fact that it can pick out differences does not necessarily mean its the best system on the line up, frankly no.

Maybe the Widget can program his DEXQ on the L100 and give use some feedack sometime.

Ian

Mr. Widget
04-16-2005, 08:12 PM
JBL too is evolving but at times I'm not sure where too. Drivers like the 435Be of the 1400nd show great advances but are not available to the normal American Consumer. I understand the marketing bottom line but it would be nice to be able to taste test and work with these and other fine new drivers especially to the people who are trying to get the word out about JBL.

Don has mentioned in passing that JBL Consumer has asked permission to link to our site and discussion forums. Perhaps with this connection the bean counters will see just how vibrant our community is and realizing JBL's roots in DIY make some of these fine new products available to consumers.

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Maybe the Widget can program his DEXQ on the L100 and give use some feedack sometime.

If I get real bored... it certainly can be done, and I am sure it would improve the speakers, but I can't imagine any amount of correction helping that tweeter. I think the 166 or newer designs would be better... actually there are quite a few JBL designs from the '60s and '70's that used excellent drivers but have less than stellar networks and may have a peak or two to be tamed and benefit from time alignment...

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
04-16-2005, 08:25 PM
If I get real bored... it certainly can be done, and I am sure it would improve the speakers, but I can't imagine any amount of correction helping that tweeter. I think the 166 or newer designs would be better... actually there are quite a few JBL designs from the '60s and '70's that used excellent drivers but have less than stellar networks and may have a peak or two to be tamed and benefit from time alignment...

Widget

You mean the tweeter that more often than not has been poked in!

Ahaha that tweeter...inverted dome tweeters anyone?

Ian

Mr. Widget
04-16-2005, 08:33 PM
...but it doesn't affect performance!

pmakres1
04-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Umm, are ordinary members allowed in this thread?

Anyway,

...but it doesn't affect performance!

(but they sure look like crap when they're pushed in!)

Ian Mackenzie
04-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Well it did with mine, but that was after I pulled it out with a hooked needle..mistake

Now reconed.

Ian

Mr. Widget
04-17-2005, 12:03 AM
(but they sure look like crap when they're pushed in!)

I was being sarcastic... that is the common eBay line. Of course it affects performance!

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
04-17-2005, 12:21 AM
I was being sarcastic... that is the common eBay line. Of course it affects performance!

Widget

YoYoa, so you said that on purpose!! Umar.:barf:

I'll have you know I played one them that way for about a year and thought they were wonderful...and it wasn't till I attempted repairs I notice the HF diminished in one channel.....You can just see the pushed in tweeter on the left L100 below.

Kinda spoiled the superb imaging they are capable of as you know....Muhahahaha .......and then spent 6 months bidding on Ebay without success until I found a recone kit on Ebay.

About to play them on .....you guessed it Yuri's PSS 600 amp he sent me. :rockon1:

How about I review them....just for old time sake:rotfl:

Ian:)

Zilch
04-17-2005, 12:41 AM
We want them run on CLIO as well.

Let's see how they compare to Project May.... :p

boputnam
04-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Heck we may find with enough evolution in electronics that indeed the L100 was the finest speaker after all. Hey, Al...

The dirty little secret is the DEQX was invented to make the Bose sound good. An L100 would be a cakewalk... :p

alskinner
04-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi Bo

I
I too was being a little sarcastic about the L100. As said before there are people who love them and I'm glad for them. But what would you expect from a guy trying to morph an Altec A7/2360 together, which is coming along but have a lot of work to do yet. Anyway, thanks to all you guys for the camaraderie. By the way here is something the new moderators might use to stop quarrels in the future:duel:

Ian Mackenzie
04-17-2005, 04:50 AM
Amusing and comic,

I'll let you lot tip to through the tulips while I take a weeks holiday.

Bye

Ian

alskinner
04-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Hope you have a great holiday. Thanks for all you do for this forum.

AL

pmakres1
04-17-2005, 09:05 AM

Widget

I agree, though they may still "work" when pushed in. In my case, the one I got that was pushed in would occassionally cut out completely, probably due to diaphragm damage. (I had a feeling my post may be construed as "agreeing" that "it doesn't affect performance".)

Peter

Ian Mackenzie
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM

Got a cool JBL shirt from Zilch in todays mail.

Oh well thats two shirts for the Foeums Wardrobe...LOL

Pics to follow

Ian

Zilch
04-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Glad it made it. That was one cheap-ass USPS Global Priority envelope I sent it in.

[I used lotsa tape, tho.... :p ]

Ian Mackenzie
04-28-2005, 12:53 AM
I'll give it too the dry cleaner and then do a photo shoot.

cheers

Ian

LE15-Thumper
04-30-2005, 12:57 PM

Been there at least 6 times. Last time was summer of 2002 on honeymoon. Wife and I had booked up at Mary's Lake RV Park. Then the fires came...and the water bomber crashed....Awful....packed up and went to Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Isn't that Longs Peak Giskard ?

Zilch
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I'll give it to the dry cleaner....Well, *I* never wore it, so there's no Yank cooties on it,

... but the cat DID use it a coupla times.... :p

louped garouv
05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Isn't that Longs Peak Giskard ?

Could also be Mt. Elbert..... that's the one closer to twin lakes

here's a link for CO Mountain Club...
http://www.cmc.org/default.aspx if anyone is interested......

4313B
05-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Mt. Sopris is the dominant peak one sees as they drive down Colorado 82 from Glenwood Springs towards Aspen.