PDA

View Full Version : Horn Magic

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Here are some photos of a friend's new system. It is way over the top. The horns are all machined out of billet aluminum and are of the Tractrix type. The large mid bass horn is welded up rolled aluminum plate. The super tweeter is an ALE.

The drivers are from ALE and TAD. The subwoofers are from Aurasound.

Here is his website. It has been posted here before. http://www.magico.net/

They are available for purchase as they are being made by him in a limited run... you may need to mortgage your home though... they are extremely expensive.

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
..and the speakers.

4313B
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Mighty nice Mr. Widget! :)

Earl K
04-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Cool ! Industrial Art ! ;) :p

4313B
04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
You mean the little round silver thingies?
I thought they were the caps to the reactor cores...

The big curved holes are for the ball throwing contests right?

Earl K
04-12-2005, 02:19 PM
The big curved holes are for the ball throwing contests right? :rotfl:

Ya know, If I flip that bottom photo 90° CW ;

- I see a "no-return" garbage pail, then a large sink to wash up in , a small sink for shaving, a chromed soap dispenser and then a really large "full body air dryer" missing the metal grate that one stands on top of . ;)

( Don't mind me Widget / I'm just jealous )

4313B
04-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah! It's like a Swiss army knife! I think we've just started scratching the surface of all it's uses!

Robh3606
04-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Well what's it sound like??

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
( Don't mind me Widget / I'm just jealous )

Hell, I don't care... it's not my baby. Actually I haven't seen it completed yet. The last time I was over at his house it was still in pieces... very large pieces.

How does it sound?

I heard the prototype. Can you say amazing? It certainly isn't all things to all people, but it does have dynamics, resolution, inner detail, etc., etc. like nothing I have ever heard. It truly is the state of the art... in terms of large horn systems.

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
BTW: For a sense of scale... that is a 15" woofer.

Widget

Earl K
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
It certainly isn't all things to all people, but it does have dynamics, resolution, inner detail, etc., etc. like nothing I have ever heard.

- So can I anticipate at least one round mouthed Tractrix horn sometime in your near future ?

:)

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
- So can I anticipate at least one round mouthed Tractrix horn sometime in your near future ?

:)

Near future? No. I have to build these first.

More distant future? Probably.:)

Widget

4313B
04-12-2005, 03:31 PM
There you go Mr. Widget :thmbsup:

Robh3606
04-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey Widget

I like the way yours look a lot better.

Rob:applaud:

4313B
04-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Yep, that's pretty much how Project May was intended. :p
You're a sly one! :rotfl:

yggdrasil
04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm very impressed:applaud: . Of both designs. Yours are possible to get into a normal home.

gerard
04-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Well ,

Sorry but I think about Stanley Kubrick "clockwork orange " looking at those spekaers !

Could never listen to music with such a monster

I'll keep my 43xx and my house ......

My opinion :blah:

Gerard

pelly3s
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I Want Them

Bernard Wolf
04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
well, the first ones are like "holy shit".... some people really do get freaked out, don't they... where do the get the cajones for that kind of stuff ?? :blink:

Mr. Widgets'... now that's more like something I can dream about..:)

B

boputnam
04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
...How does it sound?

I heard the prototype. Can you say amazing? The physical alignments look problematic and I don't see any DSP on the designer racks.

Is time-alignment merely a wifey's tail (sic)...?

:wtf:

Or maybe you can just tell us how it's done. Maybe there are two DEQX's there - can't know.

-----

post-script: Yours Widget, I know will incorporate the DEQX. But what of your fat friend?

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 09:35 PM
The physical alignments look problematic and I don't see any DSP on the designer racks.

post-script: Yours Widget, I know will incorporate the DEQX. But what of your fat friend?

Two DEQX units with 10 custom DACs... because if you spend this kind of dough the stock DACs can't be good enough!!!:applaud:

Widget

pmakres1
04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Here are some photos of a friend's new system. It is way over the top.
Yep, that's way over the top alright!

I see a "no-return" garbage pail, then a large sink to wash up in , a small sink for shaving, a chromed soap dispenser and then a really large "full body air dryer" missing the metal grate that one stands on top of .
That might be one interpretation.....

Sorry but I think about Stanley Kubrick "clockwork orange " looking at those spekaers !

Could never listen to music with such a monster
Same here!

Two DEQX units with 10 custom DACs... because if you spend this kind of dough the stock DACs can't be good enough!!!:applaud:

Widget
And don't forget the super duper interconnect and speaker cables...say, at least $40,000 or so? :nutz: :nutz: :nutz:

Peter

Mr. Widget
04-12-2005, 09:54 PM
And don't forget the super duper interconnect and speaker cables...say, at least $40,000 or so? :nutz: :nutz: :nutz:

Surprisingly... he is not a cable guy. He thinks the cable stuff is all hype. For the most part his decisions are based on real improvements that have been verified by testing.

If you close your eyes while listening... the extravagant appearance disappears and the music really envelopes you... despite it's outward appearance (which I like, but agree is intimidating) the focus is on the sound.

Widget

spkrman57
04-13-2005, 06:38 AM
I wish I had that much $$$ to play with!
Ron

JBLGUY
04-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Love -em

Yours To Mr Widget

DavidF
04-14-2005, 09:49 PM
They are available for purchase as they are being made by him in a limited run... you may need to mortgage your home though... they are extremely expensive.

Widget

The mortgage would have to include building a theater-size room. If you have to ask how much....

I suspect Alon has a very interesting shop to visit. Workmanship looks first-class.

DavidF

Mr. Widget
04-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Actually his "shop" is virtual. He does all of the design work and modeling on the computer and then hires the fabrication. To machine a 22" billet aluminum tractrix horn requires half million dollar machines... :banghead:

But he does have a perfectionist's eye.

Widget

Steve Gonzales
04-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I think they're beautiful. I'm partial to JBL (duh!), but they must sound awesome!. I've felt the authority of Aura's 18" monster/Neo./radial motored subs and must admit that it doesn't get much better. As for the styling, it is like an impressionist's painting, really sophisticated leading edge style. I have to picture them in a Billionaire's pad, and there, they would fit like a fine leather glove. True Vision, tell your friend he's hit a home run. I've often thought that the absolute lack of enclosure resonance induced noise would allow one to hear all the driver's pure performance, or as much as can be expected at least. That massive billet slab must do just that. It looks like a lifetime of thought went into every aspect. I would like to see what Edmond May or any of JBL's top designers could have done/achieved, if given the cost is no object/quality at all cost parameters, as this gentleman seems to have followed. Nice to see a billionaire's toys too or at least a multi-millionaire's. Good stuff-Steve G.