PDA

View Full Version : overbuilding

leif
04-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Overbulding is a JBL way of life, it says in the old ads...
In the latest copy of the danish magazine High Fidelity, they are making a story about a audiophile man.
This man has a pc table with a regular size screen placed on the middle. Just like most of us has. But guess what he use for pc speakers? On the table, right next to the screen, he has a pair of JBL 4343!!! It looks crazy with those huge speakes on a table with a small screen between. But if that is not enough: Under the table: 2 18 inches subwoofers. I wish I had a picture to show you, it looks nothing but crazy!:jawdrop:

pmakres1
04-10-2005, 02:30 PM
This would be fun to see, if only for laughs...any way you can scan the photo and post it? We gotta see!!:bouncy: :bouncy:

Peter

Charley Rummel
04-10-2005, 06:51 PM
My sound system and it's many, many watts, happens to be in my home office, and my PC's sound card is plugged right into channels 5 and 6 on my mixer...:nutz:

Regards,
Charley

sonofagun
04-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Maybe he's hard of hearing?

:blink:

whgeiger
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Maybe he's hard of hearing?

:blink:

By the time you are old enough to afford it, you no longer can here it, so you crank-up the volume so you can at least feel it!

WHG

yggdrasil
04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
By the time you are old enough to afford it, you no longer can here it, so you crank-up the volume so you can at least feel it!

WHG

Hence - you can never grow out of 18"..........:D

whgeiger
04-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Hence - you can never grow out of 18"..........:D

The best things in life come in pairs!

WHG

57BELAIRE
04-19-2005, 04:22 PM

WHG

.....well said!

The quest for sonic nirvana starts at the bottom. If it's bass deficient, it's doomed.

rbh

pmakres1
04-19-2005, 04:26 PM
.....well said!

The quest for sonic nirvana starts at the bottom. If it's bass deficient, it's doomed.

rbh

Correct! That's where all the drama is.

Peter :applaud:

alskinner
04-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Amen Guys

Without a great bass section for the sub harmonics of the midrange the whole thing collapses in a hurry.

AL:yes:

jblnut
04-19-2005, 07:20 PM
you don't so much hear great bass as feel it in your chest. When it gets loud and low enough that you're afraid it's going to alter your hearbeat, then that's about right :) . Had that happen at a Floyd concert once....unreal....;)

jblnut

Mr. Widget
04-19-2005, 08:53 PM
...you're afraid it's going to alter your hearbeat, then that's about right :) . Had that happen at a Floyd concert once....unreal....;)

It was the drugs dude!

Widget

jblnut
04-20-2005, 07:43 AM
It was the drugs dude!

Widget

What - like I was going to see Floyd without some medicinal assistance ? That's crazy talk....

:screwy:

Still, the bass was about the best I've ever heard in my life...

jblnut

Titanium Dome
04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
you don't so much hear great bass as feel it in your chest. When it gets loud and low enough that you're afraid it's going to alter your hearbeat, then that's about right :) . Had that happen at a Floyd concert once....unreal....;)

jblnut

Love that feeling. :bouncy:

Way back when, I took my then wife to hear Jefferson Starship. I guess she expected it to sound like it did on her car radio or something. Anyway, after two songs, she left and didn't come back, so I went to find her. She was standing in the lobby of Wings Stadium with a frightened look on her face.

I asked, "Are you OK? What's wrong?"

She replied, "I had to get out of there. It was like the music was controlling my heart. It felt like the Devil was trying to take over my soul!"

We never went to another concert together until I buckled and went to hear (the very attractive) Amy Grant during her Christian-only days. That's a night I coulda used some of jblnut's medical assistance.

"Are we there yet?" :biting: "Are we there yet?" :biting: "Are we there yet?"

Robh3606
04-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Went to see ELP in 1973 for the Brain Salad Surgery tour and it was in quad!! I coudn't believe it! The bass power was amazing but it was clear too not just mush. During the show I had to make the obligitory run to the mens room. So I am standing with my hand against the wall and Emerson hits the bass pedals. The whole damn building shook even the concrete walls were moving!! It was the most incredible low bass I have ever heard at a concert.

Rob:)

jblnut
04-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Lucky SOB :)

I never got to see Emerson play. I'm pretty sure there isn't a better keyboard player (technically) alive in the pop/rock world.

Stop me if you've heard this one....

During the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary concert, ELP came out and did a set (Emerson, Lake and Powell I think). Anyway, Emerson does a keyboard solo which was one of his classical/rock fusion pieces that he does so well. He's playing a smallish keyboard/MIDI controller instead of his usual trademark grand piano.

Anyway...halfway through the solo, he holds a note with one finger and then proceeds to walk around the keyboard and FINISH THE INSANLEY COMPLEX PIECE PLAYING FROM THE WRONG SIDE !!!! Left is right, right is left, everything is backwards and the black keys are in your way now. Twenty years later I *still* cannot comprehend even playing that piece in the first place, let alone playing a piano from the wrong side of the keyboard.

F'ing amazing.....

jblnut

Went to see ELP in 1973 for the Brain Salad Surgery tour and it was in quad!! I coudn't believe it! The bass power was amazing but it was clear too not just mush. During the show I had to make the obligitory run to the mens room. So I am standing with my hand against the wall and Emerson hits the bass pedals. The whole damn building shook even the concrete walls were moving!! It was the most incredible low bass I have ever heard at a concert.

Rob:)

pmakres1
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
...to see Emerson, Lake and Palmer around 1977 in Binghamton, NY when they were promoting Works. It was an absolutely spectacular show. They played C'est La Vie, Fanfare for the Common Man, and other great pieces. It was one of those shows you don't forget! Poco played as backup, their show was not bad either, I forget which fellow played the steel guitar but there was a steel guitar solo that was pretty impressive. But the ELP show was out of this world!
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Peter

whgeiger
04-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Overbulding is a JBL way of life
)snip(

but when it comes to horn 'sub-woofers' the U.S. Army does it better!

Text from Army document:

"MOBILE ACOUSTIC SOURCE (MOAS)MOAS is located at the Army's Blossom Point Research Facility, MD. It is a system with environmental capabilities that exist in no other system in the world. The MOAS is a pneumatic loudspeaker system that allows scientists to verify acoustic models with atmospheric effects. The system is a true exponential horn, 56-ft long, with full fidelity from 10 to 500-Hz. It will generate sound sufficient for testing acoustic propagation of sources up to 15-km away. Other features include the following: (1) it is transportable, mounted on an expandable flatbed trailer, (2) it can develop 20,000 acoustic watts of power, or over 150-db, and (3) it may be remotely controlled with fail-safe software to ensure safe operation. The MOAS can reproduce realistic signals simulating any sound at various ranges and under controlled conditions, and it can broadcast single tones, multiple tones, or tape playbacks."

Regards,

WHG

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7036&stc=1

pmakres1
04-22-2005, 09:08 PM
but when it comes to horn 'sub-woofers' the U.S. Army does it better!

Text from Army document:

"MOBILE ACOUSTIC SOURCE (MOAS)MOAS is located at the Army's Blossom Point Research Facility, MD. It is a system with environmental capabilities that exist in no other system in the world. The MOAS is a pneumatic loudspeaker system that allows scientists to verify acoustic models with atmospheric effects. The system is a true exponential horn, 56-ft long, with full fidelity from 10 to 500-Hz. It will generate sound sufficient for testing acoustic propagation of sources up to 15-km away. Other features include the following: (1) it is transportable, mounted on an expandable flatbed trailer, (2) it can develop 20,000 acoustic watts of power, or over 150-db, and (3) it may be remotely controlled with fail-safe software to ensure safe operation. The MOAS can reproduce realistic signals simulating any sound at various ranges and under controlled conditions, and it can broadcast single tones, multiple tones, or tape playbacks."

Regards,

WHG

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7036&stc=1

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: