PDA

View Full Version : Wild Dream On My Part

R Beardsley
04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm doing some drawings for a home theater company, and started thinking about using my 4412's with a modified design sub enclosure to get some volume within a depth of 20" max. The center channel is a modified 4412 with a couple of drivers added. Is this a workable design? Comments would be appreciated......

pmakres1
04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Very Nice!

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 03:25 PM
I would think it would be nice... I would put the HF sections inboard if possible and get them as close to the screen as possible though... As you get beyond the screen the "illusion of reality" diminishes.

...and what are you doing with the center channel... the mirror image stuff is marketing hype for the most part. A standard 4412 would be fine.

Widget

R Beardsley
04-08-2005, 03:35 PM
That's one of the things I was wondering about........I didn't know if it should by symetrical or not. Interesting about reversing the R and L speakers. I didn't think the distance was critical with a center channel :hmm:

Robh3606
04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Looks Great!!

Your center is too low though. Had a Jubal way back when as a center and it did not work as well as getting the HF unit closer height wise. When you pan you are going to hear it. Can you get it behind a perforated screen?? Try the HF drivers both ways. The center will anchor the dialog and the outboard drivers may enhance the sense of width and space across the front. You won't know which works best until you try it.

Rob:)

R Beardsley
04-08-2005, 05:50 PM
That would be my first choice, however in checking, the perforated screens allow 30% of the light to pass right through. I think I have the screen too low by at least 12" and tighten the dark surround another 2". The JBL's were to be behind removable grilles - why cover them though.....:D

boputnam
04-08-2005, 06:34 PM
The heck with all that - I'm in love with your avatar! Nice work!

FWIW, I hear very mixed reviews with use of perforated screens. Best to avoid, if at all possible...

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Re. Rob's comments:

I am using three small two-ways below my screen. Since they are all at the same height, pans don't get weird... I do occasionally notice that the sound is coming from a source that is too low, but typically the visuals are distracting enough that you make the leap and it seems that the on screen images are the sound source.

Re. Bo's comments:

I was helping a friend complete an install last weekend. He was using a Stewart perf screen and a $20K Runco LCD projector. I never noticed the lack of brightness or any other issues with the perf... sound was another issue. I had along my Clio unit and we were calibrating the room... nasty hole at 10KHz and then a sharp drop off above 14KHz. He was using a JBL Synthesis EQ unit and it really didn't have enough control to correct for the screen.

Widget

Robh3606
04-08-2005, 06:53 PM
"I am using three small two-ways below my screen. Since they are all at the same height, pans don't get weird... I do occasionally notice that the sound is coming from a source that is too low, but typically the visuals are distracting enough that you make the leap and it seems that the on screen images are the sound source.'

Hey Widget

I can see that working I had almost the same as is depicted and pans would start high go low go high. It was distracting. As long as they are all on the same plain I can see low working. It's the change from one to the other that is easy to hear.

Rob:)

Infredible
04-08-2005, 09:05 PM
That movie sucks...

Fred.

Infredible
04-08-2005, 09:24 PM
That movie sucks...

Fred.

Well, I thought that it wasn't really a constructive post, so, lets say that the next one is going to rock your house, believe me... Get your Amazone DVD preorder when it's going to be available... or go to see it in your favorit multiplex on May 19. Lagacy's there... Signing off.

Fred.

R Beardsley
04-09-2005, 07:27 AM
HAHA I chose that picture for rendering, because of the color and recognizeability for customers.

R Beardsley
04-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the compliment Bob, I appreciate it. There was another one I was ghoing to post (and did momentarily), but Widge's comments made me think a little more...........

boputnam
04-09-2005, 03:13 PM
...the next one is going to rock your house, believe me... He knows because he's on the team making it. 'nuff said! ;)