PDA

View Full Version : JBL's Latest 12 inch speaker

Mike Caldwell
04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Hello
Thought everyone would like to see the latest generation of JBL component speakers. I just reloaded all of my floor monitors with the 2262 12 replacing the 2206's I had in them. As for how they sound...it's the same as the 2206 but they weigh just under 7 pounds vs. 19 pounds for the 2206 and they handel 800 watts RMS 1600 program.
The lower weight was the big thing for me as I am always moving the monitors around on a stage. They use a slug of noedymium for the magnet inside the voice coil like the alnico used to be.

Mike Caldwell

Oldmics
04-08-2005, 02:38 PM
They appear to be much deeper than the 2206s-Yes-No?????

Also recone kit is $12.00 more expensive than the 2206 kit.(Gawd forbid)

Thanks for the pics.Have not seen any of the new stuff in for repairs as of yet.

Oldmics

Mike Caldwell
04-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Hello
It is deeper than a 2206 and that acually works very well at least in my case, it moves the voice coil or coils as in the 2262 to be close in alignment to the 2426 drivers I use for the high end in the monitors. The 2262 has two voice coils set up in a push pull configuration so there is always a coil in the gap reguardless the direction the cone is moving. I would guess and hope that reconing a 2262 or any in that series will be few and far between based on what they can handle. But I guess there will always be someone who will find anythings breaking point however high it maybe.

Mike Caldwell

Regis
04-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Kinda funny how JBL went back to a pleated surround (ala the L-100, 122A?) instead of the rolled foam surround...

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Going Back? They never stopped using fabric. You use different surrounds for different purposes. Pleated or rolled fabric is almost always used for higher efficiency designs. For deep bass you typically find foam or rubber rolled surrounds.

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 03:46 PM
That is one hell of a design though! It isn't up on their site... is it available as a component driver?

Widget

pelly3s
04-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Regis, for pro use 99% of jbl's have a cloth surround instead of foam.

i need to get the new B stock list to see how many I can get for my double 12" and 2" monitors

boputnam
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey, Mike...

That is a beauty. Those are the Differential Drive woofer core of the 712M wedge of the SRX-series. I moved to these a few months back, and reported on them on a thread somewhere. The savings on weight (and trailer space!! :p ) is fantastic.

Their response is nearly flat out of the box, and took only minimal EQ'ing in very few positions on the Ashly Protea 4.24GS for flat, which I stored in a preset, from which I tweak for every room we play.

These sound really, really great. They are much less harsh and the flatter response gives more GBF - so much so, the keys player no longer brings his backline. He goes straight off the wedge.

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/SRX700_Flash_Presentation/JBL.SRX712M.pdf

soundguy note: Switchable for biamp. Neutrik connectors. You can remove those Orange JBL stickers, beneath which is a JBL stamp-out in the black grill. Nice...

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Too bad you couldn't use them last Saturday....:moon:

Widget

boputnam
04-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Yup, that's for sure... :(

You know, listening to the recording, that 1.6kHz thing lasted less than part of one verse of one song, but it felt like infinity!! I simply LOVE the house's Rane 1RU EQ's with a mere +/-6dB of correction. NOT! :barf:

Not being anywhere near stage, I had to guesstimate where the struggle was - it was not really showing on SmaartLIVE. Even worse, there is no way to EQ their monitors - that is all way behind and in racks above the Kit. :blink: Don't even ask... I don't know why I take those gigs - maybe it's the challenge... :dont-know:

Mike Caldwell
04-09-2005, 05:51 AM
I heard the SRX 712' at a demo a while back and they did sound good the weight and size was great with the all neo components. The new VRX mini line array sounded very good as well. The all horn loaded PD series was very smooth and great pattern control. The neodymium speakers are not listed as a component item but can be gotten through a good hooked up JBL dealer. I could PM anyone the info if their interested.

Mike Caldwell

Maron Horonzakz
04-09-2005, 06:14 AM
I,de like to see a side profile cutaway of the 2262 & compair with the 252 12" woofer. Why is the 2262 so deep? Does it have a dual spider assembly?

Mike Caldwell
04-09-2005, 06:23 AM
It's a single spider but it has a longer voice coil with two windings. Also a little
of the length is taken up with area used for the terminal connections on the back.

Mike Caldwell

boputnam
04-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I,de like to see a side profile cutaway of the 2262... This is the best I could do...

Top is the overall.
Middle is the dual voice-coils, highlighted
Bottom is the Nd magnet assembly, highlighted

boputnam
04-09-2005, 10:29 AM
The new VRX mini line array sounded very good as well... Uh-oh... I haven't bought any mains in a while. :hmm:

Maron Horonzakz
04-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Wow JBL is light years ahead in speaker technoligy compaired to other companys. I wonder how mutch these woofers cost?