PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

OkieSmith
04-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello, My name's Joel and I just joined today. My interest in JBL speakers has been rekindled when I recently bought back my JBL L-46s. I got them new around 1982 and sold them in 1998 to a co-worker for $50 when my two year old son started doing crazy kid stuff like stuffing PB&J's in the VCR. I figured the cones would be next. He sold them back to me for $50. I had them refoamed for $70/pair. At $120 investment I think I did OK - I'm happy anyway. I saw on ORION that the value is $100 but I'm wondering if they go for more than that on average?
OkieSmith the Newbie

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard... don't know a damn thing about L46s...I don't really pay attention to the "L"s until they hit three digits:) ...but I must ask.
What does a PB&J sandwich look like through a VCR?

Widget

Steve Gonzales
04-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard!. I had some L46's and they now reside in my brothers HT system. Good little speakers with quality that would cost many times what you paid for them. Cost or value is NOT indicative of the real bottom line. If you are happy, put that "value" question out of your mind. The 034 tweeter is a great performer and the aquaplas coated 8" , cast basket woofer delivers a pleasant low end. I hope in the future you will consider seeking out bigger models as they deliver that "you are there" impact and performance. Seek out some models with compression drivers to get an idea if you are a horn guy or a cone guy. There are a lot of restoration how to's in the archives. Go to the search function and type in restoration and see what you can find. Thanks you for sharing, Steve G

BTW: The value of JBL's are dependent on model, and condition. You must be conservative in your rating. Orion is a start but not the bottom line. Pawn shops swear by them but it is really dependent on, as I said, condition and how rare they are (supply and demand+ I gotta have it factor)- Steve G-