PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

AmmoGuru
04-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am 65, have just returned from 25 years working and living overseas in various countries, working for the DOD. I do Ammo QA and explosive safety. During my time abroad I was not able to use all the stereo components I had purchased in the late seventies and early eighties and was forced to use a small compact system by Pioneer. As I have begun to unpack things and get acquainted with the vast resources available via internet concerning stereo equipment I discovered a resurgence in the popularity of our beloved JBL speakers. I own a pair of L100 Century's purchased in 1973. They survived the storage very well and are in excellent condition. I love these babies and am going to place them in the bedroom of my home. I would like anyone who chooses to give me their opinion on the best, all-around, used, JBL speakers I could purchase for $1500.00 to $1800.00. I have not really kept up with the market and dont really have the time to do the research so I thought that you-all might share your expertise and experience with me. I sure would appreciate if you-all would take the time to share your opinion with me. Thanks.

Don Mascali
04-07-2005, 06:56 AM
You do Explosive Ordance Disposal and you can still hear?

Welcome to the Forum.:D

I'm afraid you have opened a big Can O' Worms with your question.
Listen to as many as you can and decide for yourself. We all have opinions and you know what that means. Any Vintage JBL of course or build your own. The knowledge base available here is amazing.

Good hunting,

Don M

jtgyn
04-07-2005, 07:06 AM
G'Day AmmoGuru,
Welcome!

"You do Explosive Ordance Disposal and you can still hear?" Quotes Don..

But I bet he knows about SLAM!

Regards Scott

AmmoGuru
04-07-2005, 07:22 AM
G'Day AmmoGuru,
Welcome!

"You do Explosive Ordance Disposal and you can still hear?" Quotes Don..

But I bet he knows about SLAM!

Regards Scott

I dont' actually do EOD, as in, place the charges, push the handle, I do the supervision, monitoring of the process and ensure compliance with regulation. 4 weeks in an artillery, 8" guns, firebasebase, long ago and far away about took care of my hearing :( but if I can get the volume on the music high enough it dosen't matter, the ringing blends in with the sound:)

Robh3606
04-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Welcome

So you want vintage or New???? What ever it is you should try to audition a pair before you take the plunge.

Rob :)

Earl K
04-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Due to your statements about your background and likely state of hearing loss ;

I'd recommend some sort of system using the following components ;

(i) a 2235H Woofer , a good solid bass woofer , which you'll definately always feel if not always perceive it's quality & nuances ,

(ii) a compression driver on a horn, such as a le85 ( even 2426 ) or 375 on a 2312 or 2311. These are perhaps not the most nuanced of all midrange devices - but given your past this will offer up the best musical articulation if you need to maintain higher listening levels. What levels do you want ? ( Go to radio shack / buy an SPL meter / take some measurements & get back to us ).

(iii) A compression loaded tweeter for over top of the horn, I think the 2405 / 077 is the only reasonable HiFi matchup. Dependant on your UHF hearing loss - a 2402 / 075 might do the job just as well .

- Now, the above 3-way describes a modified L300 ( with the original 136a woofer upgraded to a 2235H ) using the choice of the smaller compression driver model . All these component parts (excluding crossovers) are frequently available on eBay / if you want to go the DIY route .

:)

Don C
04-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I'd suggest a pair of 250Ti.

jblnut
04-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Seconded....or XPL200 if you can find them...

jblnut

I'd suggest a pair of 250Ti.

Don McRitchie
04-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Welcome to Lansing Heritage Ammoguru.

The price range you have quoted means that at least 90% of all of the products ever produced by JBL are within it on the used market. As others have indicated, it would help if you could narrow down the range of available options by stating any personal requirements and preferences. I would suggest that you begin with your potential listening room (layout, dimemsions and potential speaker placement). Any restrictions on speaker system size would also help. The type of music you listen to would provide guidance as would any preferences for specific sonic attributes. For example, is ultimate output and dynamics a priority over maximally flat frequency response? With input like this, I think you will find numerous suggestions from our members to get you started.

4313B
04-07-2005, 09:23 AM
JBL 4430

Quality time spent with 203mm guns negates the need for UHF.

Don Mascali
04-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I was with artillery in the USMC too and between working a NASCAR pit crew, being an avid handgun shooter, riding straight pipe Harley's and being a Disco DJ it's a wonder I can hear at all.

As long as everyone is jumping in;
I own a pair of L100s that are pretty good and picked up a pair of L100t3 for $350 that have got to be the greatest bargin in Audio. For my HT/music system I have built my own over the years. I keep adding on and changing everything around. If you are handy that would be the way to go. Earl Ks sugguestions are right on.

The 250ti or 4400 series are really popular choices and rightfully so. It doesn't get any better thn those.

Most of us here treat our JBLs like kids. It's a labor of love and the pursuit of perfection is the hook that keeps me at it. I am in love with the journey itself.

Mr. Widget
04-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Most of us here treat our JBLs like kids.
I keep sending my JBLs off to college and not one has come back as a pair of Wilson Audios or a...:applaud:

As Don McRitchie said if you are able to spend between 1 and 2 grand you shouldn't have any problems finding a great pair of speakers... Alabama might be an issue. You may have to deal with shipping which is always a chore with large speakers. If you don't mind a road trip it seems quite a few JBLs have ended up in Florida.

As for choices??? Despite the JBL image of "West Coast Sound", they have really produced speakers for virtually every taste and aesthetic style.

Widget

AmmoGuru
04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Welcome to Lansing Heritage Ammoguru.

The price range you have quoted means that at least 90% of all of the products ever produced by JBL are within your price range on the used market. As others have indicated, it would help if you could narrow down the range of available options by stating any personal requirements and preferences. I would suggest that you begin with your potential listening room (layout, dimemsions and potential speaker placement). Any restrictions on speaker system size would also help. The type of music you listen to would provide guidance as would any preferences for specific sonic attributes. For example, is ultimate output and dynamics a priority over maximally flat frequency response? With input like this, I think you will find numerous suggestions from our members to get you started.

Don thanks for the starting point,

I listen mainly to rock, country and classic with some acoustical guitar thrown in. My room is 20' x 28' with 10' ceilings, no trey. The floors are hardwood and the walls and ceilings are 3/4" drywall so the room is pretty "bright" or I guess you could say "hard".

I plan to power the speakers with 1250 marantz intigrated amp, RMS 125 watts per channel, 2 channel. I am leaning toward flat frequency response as a priority sonic attribute colored with a touch of dynamics. I have been reading the literature I could find and it seems as tho 4435's-4343's or ti250classic's might be a good choice BUT I have never heard them--so I am back to folks opinions.

Mr. Widget
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I would narrow it to the 250Tis or the 4435s. The 250Tis will be a bit more polite, the 4435s will offer a bit more dynamic punch. I would wager you could be quite happy with either.

Widget

AmmoGuru
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Giskard--Absolutely beautiful--both pics:)

AmmoGuru
04-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I would narrow it to the Ti250s or the 4435s. The Ti250s will be a bit more polite, the 4435s will offer a bit more dynamic punch. I would wager you could be quite happy with either.

Widget

Thanks Mr. Widget--NOW the search begins:D

mike
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I generally group older JBL's into two different categories; those that I really like because of how they sound and those that I like based more so on nostalgia, looks and build quality. The 250Ti is unique in that it fits into both categories. Not only is it one of JBL's best sounding speakers but it posesses the traits of the truly classic top of the line JBL systems (i.e. visually stunning, superb cabinetry, top notch build quality).

Mike

John
04-07-2005, 02:36 PM
I bought a Marantz 1250 back in 77, still have it. All the power you will need 95% of the time and has a nice tube like smoothness to it:applaud:

By the way Marantz rated it at 125 per channel but it is more like 160 per channel before it clips:cheers:

AmmoGuru
04-08-2005, 05:31 AM
I bought a Marantz 1250 back in 77, still have it. All the power you will need 95% of the time and has a nice tube like smoothness to it:applaud:

By the way Marantz rated it at 125 per channel but it is more like 160 per channel before it clips:cheers:

John, For a while I had a set of Bose 901's series IV. Used to party in the yard and cranked the 1250 up to max the music sounded like it was comming from the porch, loud and clear.:D :D :D Neighbors loved me too:applaud: :applaud:

Ian Mackenzie
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Given the room finishes I would steer away from the 4430 bi radial unless you propose to damp the walls.

The wash off these monitors will overpower the direct radiated sound to your ears otherwise.

Your room is quite a span to cover with even sound balanced sound.

Consider the 4313 ( a more refined 80's 3 way monitor) positioned in near or mid field to your prefered listening location. If you love the L100's you''ll just fall for these babies.

Ian

4313B
04-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Given the room finishes I would steer away from the 4430 bi radial unless you propose to damp the walls.I'd get the 4430's and bend the freakin' room to my will.

"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentations of their women."

Ian Mackenzie
04-08-2005, 12:59 PM
No No, you mean add Doooorg Ears to those black bum horns, or is it Nuns Ears like for the Westlakes.

You'd then callém JBL Puppies...woof

Ian

Regis
04-08-2005, 02:01 PM
4430's would earn first place. Second would be 4315's or 4425's. Or a pair of Steve G's mod'd L-220's with the compression horn installed!

Mr. Widget
04-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Why are you guys fixating on 4430s? He is willing to go the whole enchilada and consider the 4435... I would certainly do them over the 4430.

Widget

4313B
04-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Oh, Mr. Widget! :bash: I'm not fixating on anything. I don't give a rat's ass what he does. Silly rabbit! :p

I know better than to waste my life's time answering these threads but I do it anyway just for the hell of it. :rotfl:

sonofagun
04-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am 65, have just returned from 25 years working and living overseas in various countries, working for the DOD.

I own a pair of L100 Century's purchased in 1973. They survived the storage very well and are in excellent condition.

I'm curious - what condition are the foam grilles in?

AmmoGuru
04-11-2005, 04:12 AM
I'm curious - what condition are the foam grilles in?

The grills suffered the typical deterioration, turned to crumbly bits of powder.

After a long search and a very carefull cleaning of the frames which still had the original cloth attached, I installed a set of black foams which were offered for sale on ebay. The density is correct, I believe, however they were advertised to be an exact fit and were not. I had to trim them ever so slightly to achieve a "bulgeless" fit.

sonofagun
04-15-2005, 11:45 AM
No :rolleyes: comment :scold:

;)

Mr. Widget
04-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Still waiting for some beautiful "Sonofagun Quadrex" grilles... I'd be OK with unpainted ones if that helps. I'll be wanting the Orange ones, but I can do the color work myself.

Would have been interested in the L200 grilles but, Zilch put an end to that dream...:banghead:

Widget

4313B
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Would have been interested in the L200 grilles but, Zilch put an end to that dream...:banghead:Shattered dreams suck! :rotfl:

Mr. Widget
04-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Shattered dreams suck! :rotfl:
Not shattered as much as sawzalled. :biting:

Widget