PDA

View Full Version : Biasing, Charge coupling

Guido
04-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Right know while writing this thread I do extensive listening tests with my 4313B clones since one have a biased network clone now.

I found the 4313Bs where amazing from the first time I heard them.

The biased version still needs time to "burn" in. What I can say that the sharpness of female voices or trumpets or saxophones is gone. Additionally the highs open up. The biased version sounds absolutely open.

It's hell of work to build biased networks but I must say it pays off.

Who have similar or different experience with this?

4313B
04-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Me! Over here! I do! :wave:

What I can say that the sharpness of female voices or trumpets or saxophones is gone. Additionally the highs open up. The biased version sounds absolutely open.Yeah, it's pretty "staggering" I think.

It's hell of work to build biased networks but I must say it pays off.Yes... it is... and does!
Isn't it cool!? :coolness:

Thanks for the post Guido! :yes:

Anyone else?

Guido
04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
And now I'm looking at my 4343 and think.....

No, No, No! :banghead:

This is work for winter evenings not for spring time :D

Earl K
04-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, Guido / Giskard ,

- I think I'm all talked out on this subject.
- You know I like the concept a lot .
- I've said it before , "It's the best thing since sliced bread !"

The biased version sounds absolutely open.

Yes indeed it's great. DC biasing seems to scrub out or negate just about all the sonic "star-filter" effects that attract ones attention and then obscure & blind the ear to a lot of the existing system resolution .

It's hell of work to build biased networks,,,,,

Nawwww, Once it becomes a way of life it's not work at all .

Who have similar or different experience with this?

- Well, I don't feel it's a magic pill . For instance ; using Solens ( dc biased or not ) on compression drivers is still a tweak that I can't agree with . :blink:

- I'd like to hear a "before & after testimonial" from someone who runs all class A ( SS or Tube ). I'd like to hear whether or not they feel there's any audible benefit within their world .

:cheers:

PS : What caps did you bias? Mundorf Supremes ? Ha Ha Ha :D

And now I'm looking at my 4343 and think.....

- At least bias the caps in the horn circuit. This will offer up a very large percentage of audible improvement ( IME ) .

Robh3606
04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I have been running Charge Coupled on my 2344's for a while now. I used the same recipe as the 9800 network. I certainly like it. Sounds real smoooth!!

Rob:)

Guido
04-06-2005, 02:43 PM
PS : What caps did you bias? Mundorf Supremes ? Ha Ha Ha :D

No,

Intertechnik MKP (PP) radial type.
I used the radials as it was easier to handle them in those big size (2x33uF, 2x12uF, 2x8,2uF) needed.

Bypassed with PP film foil.

Earl K
04-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Intertechnik MKP (PP) radial type.

Guido, speaking of ( okay I'm thinking of ) Mundorf caps ;

Their prices on this continent have gone into the stratosphere due to continuing devaluing of the US dollar .
- Check out these prices from Madisound (http://www.madisound.com/mundorfcaps.html) .
- E-Speakers (http://www.e-speakers.com/) gave up the Mundorf account at Christmas.
- So how much is a 3,3 uf Mundorf Supreme over there in the land from which these things come ?

:)

Guido
04-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Besides I do not understand this mundorf rush :screwy: I had a quick look.

3.3 uF Mundorf Supreme = 20 Euro = 27 USD :spin: Madison Price is very good!

3.3 uF Intertechnik Plus, best cap I ever heard = 18 Euro = 24 USD :spin:
3.3 uF Intertechnik FFC Paper/Oil = 51 Euro = 67 USD :spin: :spin:

I use the IT Plus only for the UHF part of my 4343. 1x1.0uF and 1x1.5uF

Earl K
04-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Besides I do not understand this mundorf rush :screwy: I had a quick look.

- Well you know ,,,, desire is directly related to the "unobtainable" factor . :D

- I'm intrigued by Mundorfs' construction method of interwoven series dielectrics .
( It equals two double sized caps in series ,,, ie the same amount of dielectric as is present in a DC biased setup ).

- Intertechnik(s) are unavailable over here in N.A. ( for all I know ) ..

;)