PDA

View Full Version : JBL XPL 140 or L96

bigredplane
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey guys what do you think sounds better? The XPL 140's or the L96's I would be driving them with a 50 watt tube amp. I listen to a lot of Jazz and country. I am thinking about picking a pair of one or the other. I havn't hear either pair for a long time. I thought I would then upgrade the crossover parts. Thanks for the info on the XPL 140 schematic.

Thanks For your help Scott

jblnut
04-04-2005, 06:56 PM
XPl in a heartbeat (and no he's not buying mine so this isn't about the money :) ). That titanium midrange in the XPL absolutely *kills* on sax and trumpet and makes the jazz trio sound like they are right in front of you. You won't need to touch the xover either - it's pretty damn good stock. What you will want to do eventually is power the low end with a 200 watt transistor amp, leaving the 50 watt tube for the highs. The XPL crossover is all ready for that - just add the amp.

The L96 doesn't exactly suck (quite the contrary), but unless you can find a mint pair I'd go with the newer XPL.

Let us know what you do and how you like it....

jblnut

Hey guys what do you think sounds better? The XPL 140's or the L96's I would be driving them with a 50 watt tube amp. I listen to a lot of Jazz and country. I am thinking about picking a pair of one or the other. I havn't hear either pair for a long time. I thought I would then upgrade the crossover parts. Thanks for the info on the XPL 140 schematic.

Thanks For your help Scott

4313B
04-04-2005, 07:02 PM
"this isn't about the money"

Yeah right!

Actually I can't believe you guys are having such a hard time selling the XPL140's. What's wrong with that? Are people too scared? Are the XPL's too much loudspeaker for them? :p

"The L96 doesn't exactly suck (quite the contrary), but unless you can find a mint pair I'd go with the newer XPL."

The L96 is at least a decade older in design. No it doesn't suck but... the L96 is at least a decade older in design... that should suffice for summation.

Now... an LE10H, 093Ti, and 046Ti in an L96 sized enclosure with a sloped XPL250 type baffle... :hmm:

bigredplane
04-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Yeah right!

Actually I can't believe you guys are having such a hard time selling the XPL140's. What's wrong with that? Are people too scared? Are the XPL's too much loudspeaker for them? :p

"The L96 doesn't exactly suck (quite the contrary), but unless you can find a mint pair I'd go with the newer XPL."

The L96 is at least a decade older in design. No it doesn't suck but... the L96 is at least a decade older in design... that should suffice for summation.

Now... an LE10H, 093Ti, and 046Ti in an L96 sized enclosure with a sloped XPL250 type baffle... :hmm:

OK how much are the XPL 140's worth? I know were there is a pair. The guy want's me to make a offer?

Don C
04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I would have bought JBLnut's XPLs in a heartbeat if I did not already have a house overflowing with speakers. As it is now, there is nowhere to put them unless I move the XPL200s.

jblnut
04-05-2005, 07:22 AM

Yeah right!

Two problems I think:

1) I'm not trying too hard to sell them. Part of me wants to save them for an "All XPL" HT setup that I'll build when I finish my attic. Which leads to 2...

2) I'm not going lower than $500 for the pair plus stands. Some have sold for $400 on ebay and because of that, people don't seem to feel that they are worth more. Having heard them (and seen them - they are beautiful in person) I think they're still a bargain at almost twice that. Think you could buy a pair of new speakers for $1k that could outshine a pair of XPL140's ? Good Luck....

So, in the boxes they will stay until someone serious comes along with $500 (plus shipping)....

jblnut

mike
04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
jblnut,

Do you think the original cartons are substantial enough that the speakers would survive shipping to Ohio?

Mike

jblnut
04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes, as long as the cardboard is in good shape. Mine survived from Colorado to Boston just fine...

jblnut

jblnut,

Do you think the original cartons are substantial enough that the speakers would survive shipping to Ohio?

Mike

John
04-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Well most times when I see a item sell on ebay, It's pretty much at the high end of the price range. That's why seller's love ebay.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif