PDA

View Full Version : Surrounding glue type?

panos29
04-03-2005, 02:43 AM
I got to recone a friend's woofers with new foam surrounds. The questions, what kind of glue is recomented to use between the foam surround and the chessis leap?

panos29
04-06-2005, 12:22 AM
:blink: Wow 52 views and no answer to such an "easy question". Come on guys don't tell me that nobody in here has never reconed a woofer! I just need a clue of the general kind of glue not a brand name.

Hofmannhp
04-06-2005, 01:06 AM
:blink: Wow 52 views and no answer to such an "easy question". Come on guys don't tell me that nobody in here has never reconed a woofer! I just need a clue of the general kind of glue not a brand name.

Hi Panos,

most used glue is a Bostik Cyanoacrylate glue

HP

Zilch
04-06-2005, 02:01 AM
No guidance in the "Resurround step-by-step" thread? The surrounds come with glue, no?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

I doubt an instant superglue is a good choice, since you gotta be able to center everything once it's in place.

ACK!! 202 threads have "glue" in them. :biting:

Guido
04-06-2005, 03:33 AM
If you re-surround the surrounds come with a white, later clear drying glue.

If you recone the recone kit come with an brown "bostic" glue.

If you need surrounds do a search for "rick cobb" if you prefer to buy in europe PM me.

Earl K
04-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Hi Panos

From the Sites' Search Engine ;

(i) Click here to read some info from another "Glue Thread". (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2244&highlight=recone+glue) This thread is pretty good, though as is typical , does get derailed in the middle .

(ii) Click here to read about more gluing. (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1474&highlight=recone+glue) This thread has some pretty decent info on temporary type glues.

(iii) Here's some specific info from Mr. Widget .

The glue JBL uses is a special cyanoacrylate called Henkel 5019 which is the same as Loctite 422. Either one needs an appropriate primer.

<. EarlK :)

Mr. Widget
04-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Earl,

That particular cyanoacrylate glue was for the spider on the Sub1500. I am not sure if it is used on other products.

Widget

4313B
04-06-2005, 10:15 AM
:blink: Wow 52 views and no answer to such an "easy question".I was holding out until 100 but since you chided me... :p

JBL P/N 353196-001

Pro Parts - 353196-001 ADHESIVE TUBE, MOYEN 308 7.00 $ USD EA

Earl K
04-06-2005, 10:56 AM
That particular cyanoacrylate glue was for the spider on the Sub1500. I am not sure if it is used on other products.

- Ooops ,,,sorry, well,,, my excuse was the lack of early AM caffeine. The time of my posting should explain all.

- In defence of my quoted statement, "cyanoacrylate glue" is a formulation that GordonW mentions earlier ( one must read the linked to threads ) as a glue-type that he's never seen fail / hence my addled brains' inclusion of it at the end .

:p

4313B
04-06-2005, 11:05 AM
"cyanoacrylate glue"That crap really pisses me off... although a hammer and chisel will remove it...

Mr. Widget
04-06-2005, 11:10 AM
That crap really pisses me off... although a hammer and chisel will remove it...

Debonder is quieter.;)

Widget

Earl K
04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
That crap really pisses me off... although a hammer and chisel will remove it...

- Good Point !

- I've heard the very same thing about hardware store, 2-part epoxies . :D

Pro Parts - 353196-001 ADHESIVE TUBE, MOYEN 308 7.00 $ USD EA

- I guess it's now apparent why those who do recones on a regular basis, use the recommended stuff .

- ( Now, is someone going to tell Panos about MEK ? / or / are we going to wait for 200 views ? ;) )

:cheers:

4313B
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Debonder is quieter.;)Really? :eek:
All those poor drivers tossed in the trash... :crying:
Oh well, life goes on. :bouncy:

Now, is someone going to tell Panos about MEK ? / or / are we going to wait for 200 views ? ;)Bo? Care to comment about MEK?

Don C
04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Our safety guy here at work likes to call it Methyl-ethyl-death. Gives you a hint about not beathing the vapors.

Guido
04-06-2005, 12:00 PM

Hey, one should wear protective glasses when acting like that.
Usually it feels like beeing under crossfire :p

panos29
04-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Hehehe, from no answer to info overload!
O.K thanks alot for all the super-informative answers, as well as the excellent links. The fact is I really did not thought about the search function at all(stupid me). However, the speaker I want to treat is not a JBL, its a Tannoy HPD monitor and the fact is I do have the original reconing kits containing the complete assembly of cone, voice coil, spider and foam all in one piece(assembled). Meaning I just have to bolt down the spider centered and then glue down the foam and secure it with the ribs oround the chassis lips. I searched for the proposed glues and had no luck as the numbering system is different over here, but I think I am going to use some water soluble wood glue just to be on the safe side, as tannoy says no glue is needed!?

Zilch
04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
We been HAD!!! :banghead:

Earl K
04-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Yep , we've been had ,,, but HPDs are very nice sounding speakers . A cousin has a pair .
I wish I had some / but then ,,,, I have a speaker collecting problem . :p

Panos, here's a link to the "unofficial" Tannoy site for some advice on reconing/refoaming the HPD models . (http://www.users.bigpond.com/tunnelgap/Tannoy/recone1.html)
- I'll assume you have this link already bookmarked / but others may not and may wish to add it to their address book.

Since Tannoy uses a clamping system at the rim making glue unncessary. If you feel compelled to use some , I would look to use the more flexible glue types such as the one that John ( from Winnipeg ) mentioned in one of the links. Or even some of the more "temporary" types ( as mentioned by Gordon W in some thread, somewhere back there ) .

I believe that even the white woodworking glue is overdoing it, when a rim incorporates a " two part clamping system" .

GordonW works with Tannoys / maybe he'll weigh in .

:)