PDA

View Full Version : Photo I posted the other day

mikebake
07-28-2003, 11:05 AM
This is the one again...........this is a fairly well known system in France, reference to it pops up on the high efficiency forum now and then. Since this version, he has been through a few more setups. This system was said to consist of mostly JBL drivers (including, if I recall, in the sub cabinets behind the mains). Anyone remember the link or know what the specific drivers were?? Mr. Hamel?

mikebake
07-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Then I believe this setup was next. Poor guy. Wonder what he did with the old one..............

Mr. Widget
07-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Stunning! Beautiful in a gold guilt sort of fashion.

I really doubt they reproduce music at a level commensurate to their cost however. All those high frequency wave forms adding and canceling each other will undoubtedly create quite an imaging nightmare.

Where did you come across these images?

mikebake
07-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Sometimes when I see something neat/wild/cool I save the image. These photos are either from the HE forum or from the owners website itself, cant't remember which. Here is the basement room and amp racks!!
Many of the photos I have are too high of resolution to post here. Need to figure a way around that. Just link it I guess.

Mr. Widget
07-28-2003, 11:57 AM
"Many of the photos I have are too high of resolution to post here. Need to figure a way around that. Just link it I guess."

If you have Photoshop or another image processing application you can easily resize an image that way.

By all means please post these... I wish wish they were someone's attempt at humor, but I fear they are the result of more available cash than knowledge.

Sometimes less is more!

mikebake
07-28-2003, 01:11 PM
I don't really want to resize, do I? I want the same size, just lower resolution for smaller byte size??!!

MBB

boputnam
07-28-2003, 01:34 PM
"I don't really want to resize, do I? I want the same size, just lower resolution for smaller byte size??!!"

I've gone round-and-round on this myself... I even tried taking lower resolution pics, and also doing all the "winky" stuff in Photoshop or Olympus' "Camedia". :banghead:

Lately, with everything I've been posting, I shoot 'em at 5 MegaPixels, and in lowly old MS Paint, merely resize - using the "Image/ Stretch/Skew" option - typically going 25% each on horizontal and vertical. That maintains the aspect ratio, and files are usually sub 60 kBytes.

Mr. Widget
07-28-2003, 01:43 PM
If you resize to the size of these posts and convert to 72 dpi it will be fine.

In Photoshop you use the "image size" window. It is very simple.

mikebake
07-28-2003, 01:52 PM
I have Microsoft Photo Editor, and I know I can change the size, but I don't see where I can change the DPI.....
MBB

TimG
07-28-2003, 02:09 PM
http://dan.bellity.online.fr/jyk/

He seems to have a lot more money than knowledge of acoustics. I think he would be better served by hiring a professional engineer like Drew Daniels to come in and design a system for his room rather than just throwing together a collection of the most expensive parts that he can find.

Mr. Widget
07-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the link.

I have heard several of the amps, associated electronics, and drivers he is using. They are all wonderful. Too bad he is using all of them together.

I agree that at this expenditure level hiring a professional would be a rather insignificant expense, but he like us, probably derives a lot pleasure from doing it himself.

Don C
07-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by mikebake
I have Microsoft Photo Editor, and I know I can change the size, but I don't see where I can change the DPI.....
MBB

Just set the size somewhere between 500 and 800 pixels wide, and that will be good for most peoples screen size. To see the size as it will be displayed on the web make sure that the zoom in your image editor is set to 100 percent. When you save your image, it is a good idea to set the jpg image quality somewhere in the middle of the scale.

mikebake
07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to mess around with it..........in the MEANTIME, someone HELP this lady...she's being bombarded by tiny speakers.....

mikebake
07-28-2003, 07:47 PM
And some more......here is a setup of Bill Martinelli's from last year; JBL CS3115 (Cinema Series) on top of his beautiful custom cabinets housing 2245's.

GordonW
07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by mikebake
Hmmm, I'll have to mess around with it..........in the MEANTIME, someone HELP this lady...she's being bombarded by tiny speakers.....

... and then the whole thing starts spinning around, and she gets transported off to the alien planet... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

sa660
07-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Being french I did not have the pleasure of listening to any of the system own by this man.But my brother stephane is living in france and went to his place (I should say palace) for a day of listening.

He is using AEL compression from 20H to 20Khz and some time swap with goto tweeter and compression.
He is aiming for a full horn loaded system with compression drivers.

In the first picture above the Drivers were the JBL 2227 in the bass cabinet. I do not know the rest.

The only comment that Stephane (my brother) had was the low frequency horn were to long and were dampening the response in the bass. However the horns were going deeper than his humble 4435.
The high frequency and the medium was oustanding. Scott fittin refers to tad has beeing less agressive than JBL and still giving all the details. This was the case with AEL and goto.

The bass cabinet were sold to another french man near the town of Lyon. They are now loaded with 515E and I was told by stephane that this deliver bass and punch and surpase the 4435 by far for transient response. Because of the enormous quantity 8x515E stephane did not feel the need for extended low frequncy response to 20hz and felt the 40hz was plenty.

As most of you are saying. The theory and engineering approach can not replace the human ear to like and don't like.

regards,

Web page of the french audio site :

http://haute.fidelite.com.online.fr/c-ils-ont-fait.html
http://haute.fidelite.com.online.fr/coin-integriste/webmanager-03-2003/webmanager-06-2003.html

franz
07-30-2003, 04:24 AM
Hi

This is the rigth link:
http://aca.gr/system_world_a.htm#worldjyk
The system belongs to Jean-Yves Kerbrat of Paris.
Ed Bellity has another very respectable JBL all horn system.
Both are really nice guys.

enjoy!

Franz

Norbert
07-31-2003, 05:09 AM
Hi,

I know his system from an article by Jean Hiraga in this issue of RDS. At that time the system was ALE/GOTO based and used ALE low-frequency compression drivers using a 25 cm diaphragm and having a weight of 98 kg!
If someone is interested in a scan of this article (french, 8 pages, 5.66 MB) just send me a PM or email.

Regards,

Norbert

glen
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Just remembering the fun I had looking at the pics in this old thread and found something neat to add from the opposite side of the planet:

http://www.hpmix.com/home/yam911/A7_1.htm#1

http://www.hpmix.com/home/yam911/images/img294.jpg

oznob
03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
I really like the Cello!:p

bigredplane
03-24-2006, 05:28 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=400&stc=1&d=1059417902

The guy that has theres amps in this picture has way to much money.
The amps in the 2nd row are Cary Audio 1610's at $40,000 a pair. So I see $200,000 just in that row

Wardsweb
03-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Thought I would add to the collection of system versions:

Wardsweb
03-24-2006, 05:49 AM
And yet another

Wardsweb
03-24-2006, 05:49 AM
different angle

Wardsweb
03-24-2006, 05:50 AM
back

Wardsweb
03-24-2006, 05:51 AM
The man himself (with tube)

glen
03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=400&stc=1&d=1059417902

The guy that has theres amps in this picture has way to much money.
The amps in the 2nd row are Cary Audio 1610's at $40,000 a pair. So I see $200,000 just in that row

That's just what it takes to get your picture into this illustrious collection of audio excess!:D

andresohc
03-24-2006, 02:55 PM
What is that thing he is holding, It looks like a prop piece from the movie "The Planet of the Vampires".:blink:
The man himself (with tube)

Wardsweb
03-24-2006, 10:17 PM
What is that thing he is holding, It looks like a prop piece from the movie "The Planet of the Vampires".:blink:

It's a T-1610 power tube and like everything else this guy has, expensive.

Fred Sanford
03-25-2006, 10:34 AM
MBB

Select "Save As", name it a new name, then hit "More" in the bottom left of the "Save As" window- slide the quality factor slider over to whatever % change you want. ~94% is same as original dpi.

I've given training classes on that program, and have a bunch of .docs and such on how to use it if you're interested. Decent quick'n'dirty program for fast, basic edits.

je

Ducatista47
03-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I have visited Mr. Kerbrat's website before with some interest. I think he needs to hear Ian's 4345's.:)
A very balanced, accurate system with no warts. Something that seems to have eluded him so far.

Clark in Peoria