PDA

View Full Version : K140s for audio?

panos29
03-26-2005, 03:39 AM
I recently found a pair of good condition K140s. I would like to ask if these are any good for audio used in a backloaded front firing horn, combined lets say with an 807-8a I got in hand? The speakers are found nos for 200$ localy and I am only interested if there is any possibility to get some decent audio out of these, although I know these were intented for bass guitar playing.
Any answer would be greately appreciated!!

Tom Loizeaux
03-26-2005, 08:55 PM
My answer to your questions are not going to be technical, but subjective.

I happen to love the K140! I use them in small, tuned cabinets that I use for electric bass. I prefer them for this application over both the D140F and the E140.
When I A/B them next to 2231s or 2235s, I see why JBL makes these "hi-fi" woofers. The 22XXs have a more linear response and produce a lot more deep, smooth low end. I don't think I would ever be happy with K140s in any of my studio monitor systems...however, I do use them in my small PA systems for low end.
(BTW, Electric bass amplification and sound reinforcement ARE Audio applications)

Tom

panos29
03-27-2005, 03:11 AM
You are very correct Tom, electric bass amplification is indeed audio, what I ment was home audio application. Anyway your answer is complete and I can understand why hi-fi woofers are smoother. I auditioned the k140s in bass reflex and indeed seem a bit restrained and not at all hi-fi, however, I loved the mid bass and efficiency these are capable of producing. Thanks for the answer.