PDA

View Full Version : JBL 076's or 2403's

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi All

Just in case some of you got any of those horns Mike Caldwell sold a while back I wanted to share this. Mine were very tarnished and on one the face was deeply gouged in several places.

I would recommend a Dremel tool with rubbing compound to get rid of the tarnish. After that, simply drag it in the same direction face down repeatedly on a belt sander. I would not attempt running the belt sander or you could take off to much aluminum very quickly.

As you can see these look pretty close to factory new condition. Note on the back horn the gouge close to the opening. I would have loved to get it out but would have to take off several mils more of the face.

I should have taken a before picture. This is a vast improvement.

Hope this helps someone.

Ken

mech986
03-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi Ken,

Very Nicely Done! Do you have a whole metal and wood shop to work with? Love to see your what your shop looks like.

Bart

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Bart

I wish I had a nice wood and metal shop but sadly I don't. I have a few entry level power tools but thats about it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Now they look new. Amazing what a little paint and effort will do.

Ken

John
03-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi Ken what are you going to do with those:hmm:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM
I am adding 2403's/076's to my Westlakes.

Ken

John
03-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Where do you plan on locating them on the baffle:hmm:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, I would love to mount them below the small horn like an SM1 but unfortunately there is not enough space, so they are going below the inside port on each side.

Ken

John
03-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Ken are you going to run a pair per cabinet or single??? Which ever way you are going I think you know whats on my mind:applaud:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 07:54 PM
I am going with a single on the inside of each cab.

Ken

johnaec
03-26-2005, 08:09 PM
What motor and diaphragms are you planning on?

John

John
03-26-2005, 08:10 PM
That will be nice. Please disregard the twin cat eye per cabinet idea, did not mean to implant the idea but I was thinking about going with a pair of slots per cabinet in my 4350 project. I thought maybe I found someone with the same H.F. desires. Just do not forget to take tons of pictures of everything you see in those top secret cabinetshttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif PLEASE.

Oh and measurements of every thing in there as well. If you know when you are doing this let me know,if I am in the area I will lend a hand.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 08:16 PM
What motor and diaphragms are you planning on?

John

I am using 2405 Alnico's with 076 8 ohm phragms although I have only found 1 phragm so far. Until I secure a 2nd I will use the 16 ohm 2405's.

Ken

johnaec
03-26-2005, 08:34 PM
The current JBL parts list still has the D8R076 diaphragms listed at $144 - 'don't know if they really have them or not.

John

Ken Pachkowsky
03-26-2005, 08:39 PM
The current JBL parts list still has the D8R076 diaphragms listed at $144 - 'don't know if they really have them or not.

John

I sent JBL 3 emails with no reply to any of the 3.

I would love to have these as stock 2403/076's.

Ken

boputnam
03-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I am going with a single on the inside of each cab.
Hey, Ken...

Those look nice. You might play with them loose, first - alternating between the inside and outer position (resting atop the cabinet). My instinct would be the outer position should open-up the soundstage substantially.

Mr. Widget
03-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I sent JBL 3 emails with no reply to any of the 3.

I would love to have these as stock 2403/076's.

Ken

A week or two back I helped Zilch install 2403 diaphragms in his Mike Caldwell horns. He had ordered them from JBL Pro with no problems.

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
03-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey, Ken...

Those look nice. You might play with them loose, first - alternating between the inside and outer position (resting atop the cabinet). My instinct would be the outer position should open-up the soundstage substantially.

Hi Bo

Nice to hear from you. Other issues have been pointed out by others more knowledgeable than I. Their suggestions coincide with yours. I will not install them on the baffles at all but rather build nice walnut boxes to sit on top centered on the cabs.

Ken

John
03-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Ken Are the large horns on those westlake's flat on the outer top and bottom panels from the front upper and lower lip back to the baffle :hmm:

Mr. Widget
03-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Looks curved. I believe the older ones are curved and newer ones are flat.

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
03-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Looks curved. I believe the older ones are curved and newer ones are flat.

Widget

To the best of my knowledge, you are right. The older ones are 99.5% made of solid walnut and curved on the bottom but flat on top. The later models came in Maple, Mahogany and Walnut. I know they also did a custom run for a large New York studio in Brazilian Rosewood at 8 grand a pair. They ordered 4 pair. I would love to get my hands on a pair of those. Can you imagine, 32 grand just for horns. I was told the reason for switching to a flat bottom was pure economics. The reflection issues the rounded bottom prevented were resolved by altering the crossover's. How a crossover change makes a difference in reflections is beyond my limited knowledge.

Ken

Zilch
03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
A week or two back I helped Zilch install 2403 diaphragms in his Mike Caldwell horns. He had ordered them from JBL Pro with no problems.I confirm, D8R076's are available from JBL Pro.

What Mr. Widget kindly didn't mention is that I dinged one of them doing my part of the installation (the soldering). The magnet pulled the plastic handle of a small screwdriver I was using to manipulate the wires into it. Handle had a steel pocket clip on it I was not paying attention to. :banghead:

[Next time I use a toothpick, or somethin'....]

Ken Pachkowsky
03-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Ahh Zilch, thats a bugger...

I will call them on Monday. Thank for the help.

Ken

John
03-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info. In the other pictures you have posted I did not notice that curve in the lower horn. I have seen the older westlake horns a few times before with that curve but it was always on the smaller vertical opening style and never in the newer ones with the increased vertical dimension. The large format westlake horns I have are of the newer style with the 2 inch vertical dimension and are ruler flat top and bottom.

Dr.db
12-29-2019, 02:36 PM
Hi John,

Your horns are of the newer versions and the vertical height is bigger compared to the old version...
Has westlake remained the other dimensions of the horn or have these changed too?

The older version used the JBL 2328 throat-adapter. How are horndrivers mounted onto the newer version?

Best regards,
Olaf