PDA

View Full Version : RCA in JBL

JBLROCKS
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5762449021&rd=1

:barf:

Who mixes RCA and JBL???

Earl K
03-23-2005, 05:45 AM
Well actually,

- Those old RCA 9449 woofers are highly regarded by some. They were 30 ohms if I remember correctly - so those in the JBL boxes must be recones.

- For those of us who appreciate "mass" in a magnet / well / those woofers certainly have a lot of that .

:)

GordonW
03-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Who exactly does he think is the target market for this speaker? A classic vintage RCA driver in a cheap-o (those SR series were definitely "entry level" for JBL) JBL PA cabinet? I mean, how many people are going to want a black plastic PA speaker in their living area, no matter HOW good he says it sounds? And it's useless as a PA speaker with that RCA in it, as it would last about .03 seconds on a live band before blowing, probably. Other than the 3 (at last approximate count :D ) die-hard fanatical audiophiles on the planet who would tolerate something that "ugly" (by home decor standards) in their rooms, and simultaneously DON'T have a wife or SO that will say "no way in h*ll is THAT coming into OUR house"... and those 3 probably already HAVE something like this, and don't NEED any more... who's going to buy this, other than to just take it apart and dispose of the parts they don't want?

He'd have been MUCH better off, removing the RCA woofers, selling them seperately (as "vintage"), and putting a regular PA woofer back into those cabinets, and selling the cabinets that way (as "professional speakers"). At least then, he'd have a reasonably broad market, for each part...

BTW: That's probably either a JBL 2412 or 2416 driver on that horn. With those thin-plastic-flare horns, you can't put anything heavy (like a 2420/21/25/26) on there without breaking the horn flare...

Regards,
Gordon.

analogman
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I do, all the time. RCA Living Stereos and JBL 001s :bouncy:

The auction's been pulled by Ebay, by the way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5762449021&rd=1

Who mixes RCA and JBL???

JBLROCKS
03-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Well actually,

- Those old RCA 9449 woofers are highly regarded by some. They were 30 ohms if I remember correctly - so those in the JBL boxes must be recones.

- For those of us who appreciate "mass" in a magnet / well / those woofers certainly have a lot of that .

:)

Don't know a whole lot about RCA...Guess they make good stuff too ;)