PDA

View Full Version : HL87/HL91 Dilema

Michael Smith
03-22-2005, 05:58 PM
I'am just about to embark on a building project for a pair of speakers as follows
LE14A
PR15C
LE175
HL87
LX10
N8000
I was thinking of using a 8cft enclosure a la Sovereign enclosure,as the box is somewhat squat,my dilema is that I'm worried about the conical nature of the HL87.
Would I be better using HL91?
Your thoughts gentlemen please
Michael

pmakres1
03-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Welcome!

I see this is your first post, sounds like a real nice system you're planning from the looks of the drivers. But, I'll leave the horn/lens question to some of the very knowledgeable fellows on here that I'm sure can help you. Great bunch of guys. Good luck!!

Peter M. :)

Mr. Widget
03-22-2005, 06:44 PM
...my dilema is that I'm worried about the conical nature of the HL87.
Would I be better using HL91?

Don't worry about the conical nature of the HL87.
Worry about what those nasty sounding horns will do to your music. Yes, strong words, but they are just plain bad sounding. I think so today and I thought so in 1976 when I got my first pair of them. I switched to HL91s pretty quickly and it was an improvement. Even after that change I needed a bit of EQ to tame the HL91s.

Widget

Oh, BTW welcome aboard!

Michael Smith
03-23-2005, 12:26 AM
G'day Mr Widget
Thank you for your reply,I will endevour to go down that road,but being from across the pond (Australia) they don't grow on trees over here,so where can I lay my hands on a pair HL91s?
Regards
Michael

Steve Gonzales
03-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the LHS! Widget is correct, I had some HL87 "shorties" and they were PAINFUL , 1500hz minimum crossover point. That's a lot to ask of a LE14a, although not impossible.
I would use an H92 and bump the 175 to an LE85 too. If you wanted to stay "vintage", that's what I'd use, if not , a 2370 with a 2425/26/27 is a good choice. My personal choice is the LE85/H92/L91 or L94 metal serpentine "baby Hartsfield' lens. I can show you and help you adapt this wonderful and beautiful lens into your enclosure by sending you templates and dimentions to build the sub-baffle required to mount it properly or you can use the plastic slant plate L91 and velcro it. I've used the LE14a and PR15c together and it's a great combo. I do prefer the LE14H or if you can find some, LE14H-1's. The H-1's are KILLER LF drivers and really are something when used with the PR15c in a 4.5-5.0 cf and weighted with 200gm's. I guess one could start a huge "Well you could use (insert expensive rare driver here) suggestion frenzy" but I think these pieces could be found with some good ol' determination. BTW, the pro versions of the H92/H91's are 2312 and 2307 respectively and the pro LE85 is the 2420. A 2421 can be used too. I look forward to seeing your project completed and maybe some pictures of the process. Please document this all for yourself and for the Forum, it is cool to see and it helps the newbies get their courage up to tackle a project if they see someone just like them doing it too. Sometimes all one needs is a little inspiration, ya know?. Good luck and once again, welcome to the Forum, Steve G.

Edit: I wish more people would put their location in their information so we could figure what's really best for them, given availability for their area. EBAY is your best bet unless you post a "Wanted to buy" in the Marketplace of this Site. If you want some H91's or 2307's, send me a PM.

Michael Smith
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Steve
Thanks alot for your input,much appreciated
Yes I want to keep them circa 70s,I take your point on the HL92 as it looks like it will give me a bit more scope to play with
Yeah the LE85 would be nice,you never know could do that later on down the track.
I will keep you boys in the loop, pics as the project progress's.
Will send a PM
Regards
Michael

johnaec
03-23-2005, 07:10 PM
H91's on eBay - $120 BIN: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47092&item=7310590199&rd=1

John