PDA

View Full Version : Recieived 4435's Yesterday

mick c
03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey guys, I received my 4435's yesterday. After a week of been dicked around by the removalists, they turned up. I was a little dissapointed as they got damaged a little in transit. (easy fixed). Well I hooked them up and eq'd them to my room and nothing could have prepaired me for the instant smile on my face. These things are great, very smooth, the vocals are wonderful and the dynamics and head room would have rattled old mates teeth out down the road!!!. Lately i've been listening to my 604-8ks in 9cift bins and thought they were nice, but after listening to the 4435's I thought what a waste of money buying the Altecs. To compare the 4435's to the 4350b's that I had, is about as different as light and day. My memory of the 4350b's was loud and in my face, and always felt they needed tobe in an auditorium to appreciate. The 4435's by contrast seem more suited to my listening enviroment. The 4435's are very easy to listen to, and placement dosent seem to be a big issue. The biggest thing I noticed was there is no real listening sweet spot, and they fill the room with a wonderful sound stage.
Brass instruments sound full and ballsy, and drums sound like drums not sticks hitting carbord. After a while I found myself lost in the music, and the speakers just dissapeared. Yes I'm happy.
Mike..

JBL Dog
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, I received my 4435's yesterday. After a week of been dicked around by the removalists, they turned up. I was a little dissapointed as they got damaged a little in transit. (easy fixed). Well I hooked them up and eq'd them to my room and nothing could have prepaired me for the instant smile on my face. These things are great, very smooth, the vocals are wonderful and the dynamics and head room would have rattled old mates teeth out down the road!!!. Lately i've been listening to my 604-8ks in 9cift bins and thought they were nice, but after listening to the 4435's I thought what a waste of money buying the Altecs. To compare the 4435's to the 4350b's that I had, is about as different as light and day. My memory of the 4350b's was loud and in my face, and always felt they needed tobe in an auditorium to appreciate. The 4435's by contrast seem more suited to my listening enviroment. The 4435's are very easy to listen to, and placement dosent seem to be a big issue. The biggest thing I noticed was there is no real listening sweet spot, and they fill the room with a wonderful sound stage.
Brass instruments sound full and ballsy, and drums sound like drums not sticks hitting carbord. After a while I found myself lost in the music, and the speakers just dissapeared. Yes I'm happy.
Mike..

Mike:

Nice score on the 4435's. I'm with you on the 4435/4350B comparison, though I have a "like" comparison A/B-ing 4430's and 4343's. The 4343's can wear you down after a while. 4430's seem to be smoother and not so "in-your-face". Enjoy!

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

4313B
03-22-2005, 03:26 PM
The 4343's can wear you down after a while.Ditto - 4331/4333/4343/4350

Zilch
03-22-2005, 03:45 PM
The biggest thing I noticed was there is no real listening sweet spot, and they fill the room with a wonderful sound stage.
Constant directivity RULEZ! :D

Guido
03-22-2005, 03:45 PM
:hmm:

I'll have to speed up my cabinet builder. The plans, xovers, speakers and horns for the 4435 sitting on the shelf for one year now.
Time to taste them :D
With Zilchs help we might be able to even improve those babies :bouncy:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I have to listen to a pair of those. Nothing but positive reviews everywhere I have seen comments.

Congrats on your new monitors.

Enjoy

Ken

mikebake
03-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Let me join the huzzah.
Finally got my 4430's up and running.
Never heard them before either. Gave a preliminary listening with my HT receiver. Was not the right setup. Hooked up my ballsy vintage integrated tonight ( a 45 lb. late 70's Yamaha CA1010) with a Sony CD, fired it up with some good discs............hmmm, interesting.
These things do lots of interesting things.
I like them, probably alot.

They get louder in direct correlation to the volume knob. Not many do in a correct manner.

They sound good when I am near the receiver changing volume.

They have really good bass.

They overcome much of what I never liked about two-way speakers.

There is still a little fuzz/overwarmth in the upper vocal range, like most JBL two ways using pro drivers. But the more good things you look for, the more is there.

Surprise; they have an expansive sound at low levels.

Surprise: they sound full at low levels.
They are sounding really full with quite little power. Hmmm. I did not expect this.
They do not need power at all to get going. The Yamaha has a beefy power supply, and apparently controls these things decently, and with this amp, again, they sound amazingly full at very low power.
No tone control used, switched out. Speaker controls at -1.5 on mids and ) on highs.

Seductive.

Gets the bass right.

Puts out the (music/song)power that it gets in.

Wow. Sounds so rich at very low levels. Amazing.

So as Giskard ends his habitation with 4430's after all these years, I take up the same babe as my new mistress...........ha! He'll be back...........

mick c
03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi mike, you hit on the one important thing I didn't mention, my 4435's rock at low levels!!!!!!!!! my neighbours may even start talking to me again. Seriously these things are deffinatly the cure for my speaker needs. I think now I can buy a nice power amp and receiver and start enjoying the music and not the machinery that reproduces it. So where do I find an amp forum? mmmmnn.....
Mike..

Guido
03-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Mike, post some pics!

Yes. I know how a 4435 looks. But we wanna see YOURS :bouncy:

jbl
03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I heard the 4435's back in 1985. Still the best system I've ever heard. Effortless and natural at any volume.

Ron:)

mick c
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I am going to take some pics this weekend, and will get them posted early next week.

evans224
03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Those would be fun to listen to. Problem is, I'm sure to want to buy them.........

mikebake
03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Be srue to read this, too, for some general insight on 4430's/4435's.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v3n01.pdf

majick47
03-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Mick c re finding an amp forum I think you will be able to get plenty of good advice right here at Lansing Heritage. Don't know how much $$$ you can afford to spend on what sounds like an amp and preamp. If your budget is under $1,000 I would be looking at preowned Yamaha M or MX series 260 watt amps and a matching Yamaha preamp. Also the Yamaha professional series amps can be had for often times less money then the Yamaha home audio equipment. Maybe JBLNUT will pick up on this thread and give you some expert advice as to which model Yamaha amp/preamp would do your 4435 justice. Reason for suggesting the Yamaha equipment is that it is reasonably priced, available, powerful, clean, reliable and very sellable if you ever decide to trade up.

jblnut
03-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi mike, you hit on the one important thing I didn't mention, my 4435's rock at low levels!!!!!!!!! my neighbours may even start talking to me again. Seriously these things are deffinatly the cure for my speaker needs. I think now I can buy a nice power amp and receiver and start enjoying the music and not the machinery that reproduces it. So where do I find an amp forum? mmmmnn.....
Mike..

Hi Mick,

As others will tell you, I'm a pretty big fan of the vintage Yamaha Pro gear. You can get some very good buys on this stuff now as studios are selling off their old amps. Just search the forums for Yamaha Amp and you'll see some of the discussions we've had. You might also want to check out the "baddest yamaha amp" thread in the Marketplace section. I stumbled onto a seller in NYC who just bought 6 PC4002M's from a studio liquidation. These are 430 watt/channel, 100lb monsters that were $5k each in the early 80's. The build quality is unbelievable and they'll probably outlive us all :) . You just can't beat them (imho) for the money.

PM me if you want more info or suggestions....

Other good choices in the amp arena would be (in no particular order) Crown (others here can suggest models), Carver (TFM series is best), or Yuri's PSS gear.

You've got some incredible speakers there - now you need a serious amp to drive them with !

jblnut

pangea
03-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Mick,

As others will tell you, I'm a pretty big fan of the vintage Yamaha Pro gear. You can get some very good buys on this stuff now as studios are selling off their old amps. Just search the forums for Yamaha Amp and you'll see some of the discussions we've had. You might also want to check out the "baddest yamaha amp" thread in the Marketplace section. I stumbled onto a seller in NYC who just bought 6 PC4002M's from a studio liquidation. These are 430 watt/channel, 100lb monsters that were $5k each in the early 80's. The build quality is unbelievable and they'll probably outlive us all :) . You just can't beat them (imho) for the money.

PM me if you want more info or suggestions....

Other good choices in the amp arena would be (in no particular order) Crown (others here can suggest models), Carver (TFM series is best), or Yuri's PSS gear.

You've got some incredible speakers there - now you need a serious amp to drive them with !

jblnut

Hi, I got one of the smaller Yamaha PC2602M, which is also a real monster, holding my 2215H's in an iron fist grip!:applaud: I would say these Yamahas are better put to use in the lows, rather than the highs though.

The only thing that really disturbed me initially was the fan, sounding as if the amp was about to leave for the stratosphere.;)

My solution to that "problem" has been to add a 12V PC-fan on top of the original one and I'm driving the fan with a 9V supply, which circulates the air fast enough to never start the other fan (unless the port is filled with lint) and at the same time venting the amp VERY quietly. :D

BR
Roland

jblnut
03-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi, I got one of the smaller Yamaha PC2602M, which is also a real monster, holding my 2215H's in an iron fist grip!:applaud: I would say these Yamahas are better put to use in the lows, rather than the highs though.

The only thing that really disturbed me initially was the fan, sounding as if the amp was about to leave for the stratosphere.;)

My solution to that "problem" has been to add a 12V PC-fan on top of the original one and I'm driving the fan with a 9V supply, which circulates the air fast enough to never start the other fan (unless the port is filled with lint) and at the same time venting the amp VERY quietly. :D

BR
Roland

Hi Roland,

I just picked up that same amp - a PC2602M. The new crossovers for my 250Ti's will allow for bi-wiring so I'm going to use the 2002M for the highs and the 2602M for the lows. Do you know if the fan is DC or AC ? I was wondering about putting in a PC fan with a variable control but since you're already done the work, maybe you know.
Does the fan run all the time or only when it gets hot ? Is it variable speed or fixed ?

What amp are you using for the high end and why would you not recommend the Yamaha for the upper end ?

Lots of questions I know - thanks for any answers you can provide !

jblnut

pangea
03-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Roland,

I just picked up that same amp - a PC2602M. The new crossovers for my 250Ti's will allow for bi-wiring so I'm going to use the 2002M for the highs and the 2602M for the lows. Do you know if the fan is DC or AC ? I was wondering about putting in a PC fan with a variable control but since you're already done the work, maybe you know.
Does the fan run all the time or only when it gets hot ? Is it variable speed or fixed ?

What amp are you using for the high end and why would you not recommend the Yamaha for the upper end ?

Lots of questions I know - thanks for any answers you can provide !

jblnut

Hi!

I don't know whether the original fan is AC or DC. I took an old Computer fan from an old PC. I realise the confusion there.

This fan was already mounted in a plastic basket, which will fit in most computers inside the front and therefore is quite simple to fasten outside the original fan-house. These PC-fans are all DC and I should think it'll run at half-speed at all times with a 9V supply, which seems to be quite sufficient, (no need for any regulating). At this speed the fan is absolutely quiet. I also think the fan will last much longer this way and if/when the PC-fan dies, you will immediately know so, as the other fan starts, or when it is time to clean the port from lint.

As for the use of the PC2602M for highs or lows, I prefer the class-D amps I've built with the Hypex UCD180' and UCD400 modules in the highs. They're outstanding modules and I'm very pleased with those amps! In IMHO I think the class-D amps sound more natural, realistic and more detailed, without ever becoming harsh or cold, but then again I appreciate those aspects. Others, I know have other ideals. However the differencies aren't that big in the first place, but significantly enough to having me prefer the class-D amps.
Perhaps I should start a thread showing those in detail, if anyone is interested.
WWW.hypex.nl (http://www.hypex.nl/)
Other class-D modules would be the ICE-Power from B&O, or the Tripath modules also from Denmark.

BR
Roland