PDA

View Full Version : One of the first Paragons???

Redhook98
03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Just got an original Paragon today. If I told you what I paid for it, you'd all fly out here and kill me. Trust me on this one.

I just checked the serial numbers. The right unit is 230. The left is 231. They are not the long serial numbers I have seen everyone posting. They are on the small sticker on the bottom of the cabinets, next to the front outboard legs. The model number is D44000. Yep, no W or X in the model number.

All drivers are original with the 150-4C installed. Sounds good, but stuff in the lower end.

Under the leg posts for the mid-horn, it is stamped "127". Does this mean anything?

It is ply wood with a small amount of pressboard on the back only.

Can anyone shed some light on what I have here? Real world value? Not gonna sell, just curious.

Thanks!

whgeiger
03-20-2005, 10:44 PM
RH,

If the enclosure is in mint condition, $20,000 with drivers and c/o's refurbished (not replaced). Do not modify anything; otherwise, value will be less. If enclosure needs restoration, get a professional to do it. Keep a written record of all work performed on the unit.

Regards,

WHG

Redhook98
03-21-2005, 06:16 PM
It is FOR SALE now, by the way. Indepth descriptions and pics under Marketplace, under the heading of "Value of a 1957 Paragon". Make an offer.

John
03-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Wow that was quick, less than 24 hours and it's for sale:blink:

scott fitlin
03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Wow that was quick, less than 24 hours and it's for sale:blink:He paid $250, now hes gonna get $20,000 or so!

Its said everything and everyone has its price, I guess we know his!

:D

John
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Don't shoot me but it almost sounds too good to be true, especialy when you add the part about the second pair of speakers thrown in. I am suprised the seller did not throw in a pair of marantz tube amp's on top of that.:blink:

Earl K
03-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, it's probably a good idea to sell them now - before one gets attached to them .

It'll be a lot less painful this way . :(

;)

scott fitlin
03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Don't shoot me but it almost sounds too good to be true, especialy when you add the part about the second pair of speakers thrown in. I am suprised the seller did not throw in a pair of marantz tube amp's on top of that.:blink:well, John, it just so happens the seller sold those the day before! For 50 bucks, dont cha know!

:)

John
03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
If I knew the location of that pawn shop I would be back there checking right to the back wall right to the floor , just imagine what other treasures could be there. Could be a bunch of W.E. field coil stuff that you could flip for $40.000 dollars. That stuff is the best sounding equipment that has ever been made, after that it has been all down hill ;)

Redhook98
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
All he seems to have left are a pair of Bose 901 Series 1, and a pair of Boston Acoustics CR5's. The rest is old Mitsubishi and Luxman. He does have one older "all in one" Luxman he will part with though. A very expensive unit in it's day.

At his other shops, he has another Yamaha CA-2010 (I bought the one he had at that store for $200) and a few Marantz receivers. When I bought the Paragon, I picked up a Sansui QRX-5500 that needed a small repair. That was only $50.00.

He is a 70 year old retired Army Surgeon that seems to like to sort through the junk more then sell it.

As for selling it, I am not in a hurry. I am growing attached to the sound, but could use the money. Just a poor Federal employee here ya know. ;)

Redhook98
03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh, it is not a pawn shop, it is a junk type shop. It is in Oak Grove, VA. About 1 hour south of Washington DC.

I'll check out more for you guys this weekend, if you are interested. In this backwards ass place I live, some folks just do not know, nor care what they have sometimes, as long as they can make a buck.

JBLROCKS
03-21-2005, 09:56 PM
BLOSE :barf: :barf:

scott fitlin
03-22-2005, 06:19 AM
All he seems to have left are a pair of Bose 901 Series 1, and a pair of Boston Acoustics CR5's. The rest is old Mitsubishi and Luxman. He does have one older "all in one" Luxman he will part with though. A very expensive unit in it's day.

At his other shops, he has another Yamaha CA-2010 (I bought the one he had at that store for $200) and a few Marantz receivers. When I bought the Paragon, I picked up a Sansui QRX-5500 that needed a small repair. That was only $50.00.

He is a 70 year old retired Army Surgeon that seems to like to sort through the junk more then sell it.

As for selling it, I am not in a hurry. I am growing attached to the sound, but could use the money. Just a poor Federal employee here ya know. ;)Somehow, I just get the feeling these will be up for sale! I think the staggering " value " tends to overwhelm, and will outweigh your desire to keep them!

:)