PDA

View Full Version : Wow

JBLROCKS
03-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5762092421&rd=1

I found ONE of these in the theater "find" I ran across, but I did'nt keep the box because it was BIG and not in very good condition:banghead: :banghead:

THIS GUY HAS A PAIR!:blink: :blink: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Gonna watch this one like a hawk!!

I would be surprised if he sells them tho....Too expensive opening bid...
:cheers:

P.S.
Only thing I see wrong is that one unit (pair of 150's) has been re-coned to 16 ohms instead of 32. This one would effectivly be a 8 ohm system with a 16 ohm horn.

mikebake
03-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Oh, I get it now. The older the design, the closer to reality the sound becomes. We've gone backwards since the beginning.

evans224
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
What in the world would you do with them, unless you owned a theater?

JBLROCKS
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I am going to sell the components for this system. I thought I would put them on here first and see if anyone is interested.

I am selling these as a package deal for $1000 <negotiable>

I have the 32 ohm 150-4 woofers #2378-2379
Horn & Driver 275 & 527-800
X-over # N-800 #255

If interested please send me a PM.

dancing-dave
03-20-2005, 08:49 PM
You could open a small dance club, or have some serious "home theater" and charge the neighbors to experience.

What's with the angles of the woofers? I've seen that with Rey Audio and Augspurger monitors where the woofers are inverted, but never angled outward. Never knew the "potato mashers" could be so big. Look more like watermelon smashers (Gallagher?) at that size.

duaneage
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree that they are to drool over but would they sound better than modern JBL systems? Handle the power and abuse? Be easily repaired?

Probably not, of course not, definately not.

Collector value aside I don't see the starting price nor the value in them.

And this is complete salesman :bs:

"I have had JBL Paragons, as well as early and later Hartsfields. I thought the Hartsfields were the ultimate until I heard these. Unlike any other. A step closer to ultimate reality. That is how close these speaker are. "

I doubt the ultimate audio transducer was invented or produced 60 years ago in this form, a pair of K2 speakers would be money much better spent. He probably bought them for 100 dollars at an auction somewhere. Apply for the second mortgage tommorrow so you can have a check ready by thursday.

JBLROCKS
03-21-2005, 07:09 PM
You could open a small dance club, or have some serious "home theater" and charge the neighbors to experience.

What's with the angles of the woofers? I've seen that with Rey Audio and Augspurger monitors where the woofers are inverted, but never angled outward. Never knew the "potato mashers" could be so big. Look more like watermelon smashers (Gallagher?) at that size.

Crank these up and the neighbors three doors down can hear em loud and clear;) no admission!

I would bet they would be rather harsh in a small house emvironment since they are designed th "throw" the sound far.

Repair? definitly not. That is why one pair of woofers is 16 ohm instead of 32 because the "correct" 32 is not avaliable any more.

Definitly for the serious collector and not really to be used much.

boputnam
03-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5762092421&rd=1
Whoa... Just had a cool idea :idea:

Maybe Techbot has already cottoned onto it ?? We could pinch photos from eBay where they document historically relevant and rare components. Since they are in public domain there is no restriction on that particular use, unless otherwise stated. What a resource!!

Let's get going!

House de Kris
03-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting this eBay link JBLROCKS. I've got a pair of 5050 cabinets in my garage and was hoping to learn a bit more about them. How many of those 32 ohm 150-4 woofers do you have?

JBL Dog
03-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh, I get it now. The older the design, the closer to reality the sound becomes. We've gone backwards since the beginning.

I'm sure my Lancer 99's would blow these away! :p

Man, where does this guy find this stuff? He always seems to come up with the rare gear. $17k could be much better spent elsewhere, IMO.

I wouldn't mind a demo, however.

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

scott fitlin
03-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm sure my Lancer 99's would blow these away! :p

Man, where does this guy find this stuff? He always seems to come up with the rare gear. $17k could be much better spent elsewhere, IMO.

I wouldn't mind a demo, however.

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:If the old 1920,s WE stuff is said to sound like nothing else, why couldnt these rare JBL,s sound nice, powered with the electronics of that day? Im not saying it would be perfect sound reproduction, but look at it this way, many people prefer speakers like L-300,s to todays B & W 801,s! And certainly technology today is further along, than when JBL was manufacturing L-300,s!

Could it be that really old stuff does has something?

JBLROCKS
03-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for posting this eBay link JBLROCKS. I've got a pair of 5050 cabinets in my garage and was hoping to learn a bit more about them. How many of those 32 ohm 150-4 woofers do you have?

Wow you have a pair too? :blink:

I have two 150-4 32 ohm woofers and one horn/driver and X-over

P.S. I came across this system in a theater that was built in 1943. It was used as their main "Stage speaker" or "Center channel" This particular one was built way up on stilts so that the top was about eight feet off the floor, I think so they could place it right behind the screen and have just tue horn perch above the top of the screen. This theater also had four D-130 Wide range speakers on the walls as surrounds, and two Altec 603-B's as "front" channels.

I'll bet this old theater would blow away any modern theater. It's a shame to see it torn down, but the property was sold to a hospital that will probably put up a parking garage there :barf:

Oh well. Move on.