PDA

View Full Version : JBL vs. AR

heavyeleven
03-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Hope to acquire new pair of used "classic" speakers in near. Was looking for used AR3a's on e-bag when someone started me down the JBL road. Suggested L100 or L100t. How will these compare to the AR3a in sound quality? I listen to a mix of classical and popular, lotsa vinyl. My listening post is essentially a hard cube of approximate dimensions 14'x14'x8' - hardwood floors, no soft furniture, two draperied windows, coupla throw rugs. Presently my power comes from an ancient Kenwood KR 9400 receiver, supposedly 100+ w per side when it was new four decades ago. Have recently driven Bose 901 Series 3 satisfactorily.

Of the JBL's, how does the L100 compare to the L100t in sound quality? Any other strong reason to go with one over the other? Aquarius IV may also be an option. Where does that fit into the quality picture, against the L100 and L100t?

Will appreciate any comments.

Don Mascali
03-20-2005, 02:38 PM
I had a pair of AR-3a speakers in the day. They were my first serious speakers. Now I have a pair of L-100 in my secondary listening, "Living Room".

Even though I haven't listened side by side, they couldn't be more different. You have the classic examples of the East Coast vs West Coast sound wars of the '60 and '70s. My dollars would vote JBL all the way. The ARs need tons of power to wake them up and L-100s can deliver punchy bass on a few watts.

I guess you could expect to hear that on a Lansing forum.

Good luck which ever way you go and remember, "If it sounds good to you, screw what anyone else thinks".

Don M

Zilch
03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
HUH?

Rusnzha
03-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I've had both. The L 100 totally smoked the 3A. Even a lesser L series speaker would do the same. But Don is right, let your own ears be the judge.

Mr. Widget
03-20-2005, 03:06 PM
... L100 or L100t. How will these compare to the AR3a in sound quality?
The JBLs will have less deep bass, will be more efficient (play louder with a given amp), will have a punchier sound and be more in your face or aggressive. ( Some would call it more dynamic and alive sounding.) The AR's do need at least a solid 100 watts per channel, and have a smooth laid back sound. Neither of these speakers have very good highs.

The L100s and AR3a are so different you really need to decide what you are after in a loudspeaker. I don't think anyone can say that objectively one is better than the other.

Of the JBL's, how does the L100 compare to the L100t in sound quality? Any other strong reason to go with one over the other?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5180

Aquarius IV may also be an option. Where does that fit into the quality picture, against the L100 and L100t?

No bass, no mids, no highs, not very dynamic... but oh what a cool looking package.

Widget

Zilch
03-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I have some AR-3a's here painted with latex wall paint.

Take them, please....

[I should use the Kik-Step, anyway. It's safer....] :p

mike
03-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Like everone has said the 3a and L100 are polar opposites. The 3a has a flatter frequency response and a much more laid back sound. The L100 is more colored , more forward and more dynamic. It's ultimately a matter of taste. One thing worth mentioning is that the 3a seems to have a lot of reliability issues.The high frequency drivers burn out fairly easily and in some cases even seem to wear out. The high frequency and mid frequency attenuator pots always need replaced or cleaned. The woofer foam will need replaced. L100's usually need the level pots cleaned or replaced but otherwise seem to hold up very well. Both are probably worth about the same amount of money.

Mike

Titanium Dome
03-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I have some AR-3's here painted with latex wall paint.

Take them, please....

[I should use the Kick-Step, anyway. It's safer....] :p

:idea: What color? I need to know the color. Otherwise they might not match my plant stands.

Hold on a sec... What's that, dear? Ahh, oh, right, promised, right, so sorry Angel.

Zilch, never mind.

alskinner
03-20-2005, 04:03 PM
As you can see many of us have had a bad AR day. Years ago I owned a pair of AR 10pi s and hate to say it but they were the epitome of throwing a wool blanket over a good speaker. Easy to listen to but boring and laid back. one of the tweeters went out and I replaced it with a radioshack piezo tweeter helped it a little but still couldn't wait to get rid of them. Went JBL and never looked back

AL

Zilch
03-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I listen to a mix of classical and popular, lotsa vinyl.In all seriousness, nothing you're considering is appropriate for that, except the L100t's maybe, which are very different from L100's. The others are notoriously inaccurate. The Aquarius MIGHT be suitable for background music, but only maybe.

In the "bookshelf" size three-ways, look for a pair of 4412's (preferred) or 4410's (not the later "A" versions of either, which aren't in wood veneer boxes, and don't have mid/high level controls). Both are smooth, accurate JBL studio monitors, a designation that actually still MEANS something.

Add a sub later, if you think they need it, after you get over the sheer pleasure of listening to these. We can provide good guidance there, as well. :)

pmakres1
03-20-2005, 05:50 PM
In the mid-70's I owned a pair of AR-2ax's, I used to toast them regularly with my Crown DC-300 Amp. :cooked: No sooner than I'd get them back from the factory, (AR was pretty good about replacing the woofers under warranty)
then I would toast them again, usually within 24hrs. I think AR knew my name by heart! I finally went JBL, and like alskinner I never turned back!

Very best to all,

Peter M.

mike
03-20-2005, 05:58 PM
L100T's are pretty good speakers overall and you can probably get a pair for less than a pair of original L100's. Personally I'd recommend a pair of L110's.
These were sort of a replacement for the L100. They are smoother and more accurate with tighter bass but they retain the punchy and dynamic sound of the L100's. The L110's probably aren't as transparent as the L100T's but they sound more lively.

Mike

majick47
03-20-2005, 07:00 PM
heavyeleven you won't be disappointed with any of the JBLs the members recommended. My experience with the "east coast" speakers (ads) was one big flop, they were totally lifeless, about the only thing they might excell at is playing funeral chapel background music.

mikebake
03-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Don't know for sure what the recommendations given may cost you, but I bet they aren't much less/more than some 4430's. I hate to get on the 4430 bandwagon 24 years too late, but WTH.

johnaec
03-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Of the JBL's, how does the L100 compare to the L100t in sound quality? Any other strong reason to go with one over the other?Even though the model numbers are very similar, the systems themselves are very different! The L100 is a much older model - the technology in the L100T is far more advanced.

The 12" LF in the L100's use a corrugated surround while the L100T uses a foam surround, so the bass will go a lot deeper in the L100T, especially since the cabinet volume is also larger. Unfortunately, if it hasn't been replaced yet, there's a good chance the foam surrounds may be nearing replacement, (they start crumbling away). If you're good with your hands, you can do this yourself for about $25/pr. - detailed instructions with pics can be found with a search on the forum.

The HF unit is also completely different in the L100T. It's the 035TI, considered to be one of the best HF units JBL has produced. It's in a whole different league from the ones in the plain L100. The midrange is also a much newer design.

Lastly, the crossovers in the L100T are far more advanced than those in the L100.

All things considered, I'd definitely go with the L100T's - they're undeniably much more accurate than the plain L100's.

John

GordonW
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM
My listening post is essentially a hard cube of approximate dimensions 14'x14'x8' - hardwood floors, no soft furniture, two draperied windows, coupla throw rugs. Presently my power comes from an ancient Kenwood KR 9400 receiver, supposedly 100+ w per side when it was new four decades ago. Have recently driven Bose 901 Series 3 satisfactorily.

With that small of a room, I wouldn't recommend a L100T... probably would be TOO much bass energy (overly bass-heavy). Ironically, with that much hard surface, the L100 probably wouldn't be my first choice, either.

My inclination, given that space, would be to look for a pair of JBL L166 or L112, or a pair of 120Ti or L80T/L80T3. Those have a "mellow" enough sounding midrange, that they won't "rip you apart" in a "hard" room, and have very good bass control, while still having the dynamic "slam" that endears JBLs to a lot of us.

Other speakers that would probably work very well in that space would be the JBL L96 or the L110. Those are smaller cabinets (10" bookshelf speakers), but in a 14x14x8 room, they should still have quite adequate bass output, IME.

Regards,
Gordon.

pbda
03-21-2005, 04:18 AM
I've got a pair of each. Like my kids, I love 'em both, understanding that each has its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Suggest that for balance you also place your original post in the AR section of the Classic Speaker Pages forum (www.classicspeakerpages.net) (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net%29).

Steve Gonzales
03-21-2005, 10:53 AM
HUH? OMG! CLASSIC RESPONSE!.--Ti-Dome, I could picture that conversation in my mind, Gut BUSTER!!! :applaud:

Zilch
03-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I hate to get on the 4430 bandwagon 24 years too late, but WTH.Welcome aboard! :D

Charley Rummel
03-21-2005, 06:33 PM
The people I've known over the years who tend to like the AR sound are really looking for a mellower, gentler, "let's not give grandpa a heart attack" sound. They all seemed to listen to a lot of classical, orchestral music, or mellow sounding vocalists.

Others I've known who've listenned to AR's didn't keep them around very long, and switched to a more lively dynamic sounding brand. They heard AR was a good brand from people who didn't share their tastes, invested, and then a short time later went to something else like Altec or JBL. Some of my acquaintences switched after frying the drivers in an attempt to get more dynamic reproduction.

Regards,
Charley

heavyeleven
11-27-2005, 08:21 PM
A belated thanks to all for the lively input on my question of AR vs. JBL. Your remarks, opinions and witticisms fell on open ears and a curious mind.

In early May I went down below to visit JBL Judy in Oxford, Michigan. She had several pairs of JBL speakers for sale, including the L100 and L100t mentioned in this thread. Judy was kind enough to let me hang around for the morning, ABing as best I could between her garage and living room.

Went to lunch and beat the thing around, decided I could live without new speakers. Returned to sign off with Judy. Involuntary reflexes caused me to beg another five minutes with the L100t's. Five got 20, then 60. Shook the wallet, fanned the checkbook, dickered and lost. Loaded them up in the van during the last blizzard of the season.

While the L100t is an obvious overkill for my small, bright listening space. the sound to these untrained ears is excellent. Or am I merely developing "enhanced appreciation" for The Kingsmen - Live at The Chase? No, everything from Ustad Ali Akbar Khan to Live Steam sounds great, though I would probably prefer something more East Coast for classical. In my humble estimate, pbda of Boston seems to have it right here.

Incidentally, can anyone enlighten me as to the wood type of the L100t veneer? It is light brown, not orange as some internet pegs show. Sure doesn't look like any walnut I've ever worked with, either color or grain. Serial #'s 162XX

Thanks again for your input.

johnaec
11-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Excellent choice on the L100T's - congratulations! I believe the veneer is actually oak on these.

One especially nice thing about the LxxT series is that you can later add some of their smaller models, such as the floor-standing 8" 2-way L60T or bookshelf 6.5" 2-way L20T as rear surround speakers, on your way to a full surround system that still has excellent speakers for stereo mains. The sound character is very similar between all these models, and they're often to be had for very reasonable prices from places like eBay.

John

Jakeisuseless
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I have two pairs of AR48s and a pair of AR28s. I like 'em, but nothing... amazing.

johnaec
11-28-2005, 08:22 AM
I believe the veneer is actually oak on these.I got that oak reference from the sales brochure for the LxxT3 series, which states that they were available in walnut or oak. But looking at my plain "T" series, the ones I have are walnut. 'Not sure if they offered the plain "T" series in oak also...

John

whizzer
11-29-2005, 02:01 PM
What the man said: let your ears be your guide.
But with that said, assuming your Kenwood has sufficient power to drive them, the AR's will produce deeper, more articulated bass than the JBL's and
will. in most environments. sound better playing classical music. If it's rock that drives you, stay with the JBL's
all the way and get loud.

rockecat
11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
My very first stereo was a Harmon Kardon 330 reciever and a pair of AR18's It was enough in my bedroom to get TURN IT DOWN !! screamed at me at a unbelievable level from mom,It seems like yesterday.:D

Guenter
12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
All right, I'll be a heretic. From my admitedly limited experience with both and I did make the choice and kept the AR3a's. The AR3a's are excellent speakers and, yes, better than the L100's - let me point out and remind others that the 3a's were competing head to head with Quad ESL's - Therefore, if you value flat frequency response and extended bass (yes these do have, for their size truly excellent bass) then you should reconsider the 3a's advice of other members notwithstanding :-) Most importantly, if you listen to classics, jazz, folk they might be your better bet ....

cheers, guenter

Mr. Widget
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, I don't think I could be ultimately satisfied with either the L100 or the AR3a, and I'd need to audition the 3as again before I chose one over the other, but I know I'd love to have a pair to compliment my L100s... I almost sold my L100s some time back... I'm glad I kept them. They're a good benchmark or milestone for where I've been.

Widget