PDA

View Full Version : Woofer Gaskets

Chas
03-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Guys, I ordered some of the cork gaskets from JBL as used in the 4430 for my 4 X 2235 LF project. It's been almost three months and they still aren't here.

What do you use for your projects? I have some of the old vinyl o-rings but they are used and crushed, plus my baffle holes are not perfectly circular.

I am using the MA-15 clamps so I don't need screw holes in the gaskets, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd really like to get these woofers into a new home.:bouncy:

Robh3606
03-16-2005, 08:21 AM
That's odd. I have gotten mine in a week or so. I use the black paper gaskets on all my drivers. I tack them on the driver with a dab of silicone in 4 places so they don't take a walk as you mount them. You could make your own. Try an auto store to see if they have gasket sheets large enough to handle the 15's.

Rob:)

Alex Lancaster
03-16-2005, 09:11 AM
:) How about cardstock at stationary or arquitect supply stores?, they usualy come in all colors, 3' x 4', enough for about 4 gaskets or more, You could even cut segments and get a bunch of them; Me, I´m too lazy, I use silicone.

Zilch
03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
1/16" thick self-adhesive closed-cell neoprene foam weatherstripping, 1/2" - 3/4" width, available at ACE hardware and McMaster-Carr.

I stick it to the cabinet, but you get only one chance to get it right.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-16-2005, 09:46 AM
This is what I used on my Westlakes. It works great.
FYI

Attached is a photo of material I used to seal the drivers on the baffle. It works great. Can be had for 5 bucks for 18 feet at Home Depot.
Attached Imageshttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3572&stc=1

Chas
03-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks everybody. I'll check out my local Home Depot. I wonder why it takes so long to get JBL parts in Canada?

John
03-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Well the answer is Because it's Canada, I get all my JBL from the USA:applaud:

stevem
03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Has anyone ever tried mounting a woofer so it is de-coupled from the enclosure? B&W used this approach with their 801s. I'd like to know if it makes an audible difference.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Is Gould Marketing still the distributor for JBL in Canada?

Ken

Earl K
03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Is Gould Marketing still the distributor for JBL in Canada?

No Ken, they disappeared, more or less when the First Free Trade agreement was implemented ( before NAFTA ) .

The Canadian distribution rights were rolled into one of Harmans other "distributors" ( SoundCraft . Still located in Montreal .

In all fairness to them, to avoid the huge shipping fees, they only bring a pallet of stuff into Canada when a critical mass of orders is reached . "Gaskets" are unlikely to alter that threshold one way or another .

:)

Ken Pachkowsky
03-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Hmm

Not surprised I quess. Things never stay the same. Herb Goldstein and Linda Gould where great to work with. When I purchased my factory built 4350's they made special arrangements with JBL for custom enclosures.

I recently ran across Ted Telesky who used to be the service manager at Advance Stereo in Winnipeg. I was shocked to find out he worked for JBL as a senior designer on the pro side for some years. He told me he worked very close with Westlake in those days. Its a small world.

Ted was the host of a radio talk show I produced on CJUM called "Men Of Music" back in 76/77. For those of you who know him he is living here in southern California and is VP of a car audio manufacturing company who's name slips my mind. FYI "never believed a vehicle made the ideal listening environment" . That should stir things up!

Oh well enough rambling...

Ken

Skoda
03-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Well if it still or could be any help I know that JBL/Harmon goes thru "Erikson consumer" (not to sure if it's spelled righthttp://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif ) Well good luck with the gaskets

pos
08-19-2007, 03:07 AM
Sorry to bump this old thread.

I want to make cork gaskets using isolation cork sheets, ideally in one piece instead of four as in the MA-15 kit.

I can buy sheets of 2mm or 4mm, rubberised or not.

Are the gaskets that come with the MA-15 kit rubberised? How thick are they? Would a rubberised cork enable for a better sealing? The not rubberised cork looks already tight and fine-grained.

thank you for your input

pos
08-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Is the cork gasket that comes with the MA15 kit rubberised?
Is it 2mm thick (1/12 inch) or more?

thank you

pos
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
:wave:

remusr
08-23-2007, 02:22 PM
mine have adhesive one side w/ "wax" paper protection, are not rubberized, 1/16" thick (1.6mm).

pos
08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
thank you Roy !
So I guess the insulation cork that I found will be just fine !
It was priced something like 20 or 25 euros for a 8mx0.5m sheet, 2mm thick.
The rubberised one is like twice that price, and comes in bigger sheets (thus even more expensive).

I plan to cut one-piece gaskets in it, and glue them on the baffle using some sort of white glue.
I might have enough for (16) 18" AND (16) 15" AND (16) 12" AND so on...
More than enough for my entire life, I guess :blink:

Bill Shenefelt
08-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I don't know if this would be considered good or bad but I use silicon aquarium cement. First I put a wipe of vasoline on the driver seating surface and the cabinet to prevent the stuff from gluing the driver to the cabinet. Then I apply a bead (1/8 inch bead) of the stuff on the cabinet being sure to also surround the mount screw holes. I use socket head cap screws and the push in, threaded pieces inside the cabinet so the screws are best treated with vasoline also to prevent sticking of any of the silicon to them making it tough to remove them. I lay the cabinet on its back and put the driver in and start and loosely tighten the screws to just seat the speaker driver. After 24 hours once the silicon has set up I further tighten the screws. I do this to just get a strong mechanical seating of the driver with more force than simply the weight of the driver.
This stuff is very strong and stays flexible for a long time (I can only say that it remains flexible for at least 40 years as that is the age of some of my fishtanks I have built with it) A calking tube of it runs from $5 to $10. It gives off an ammonia like odor for an hour or two while curing. The perimeter of the driver will have some oozed out but a simple pass of a razor blade will let you trim it so it is only present under the driver mounting ring. Both Dow and GE make the product. This makes a wonderful gasket in my opinion.