PDA

View Full Version : problem posting attachments

Flodstroem
03-16-2005, 05:20 AM
Hello

When trying to attach a picture to my text I have a problem with the .pdf file format. When I have posted the thread there is no picture in this post only a downloadable link. When posting a thread with other file formats than the pdf to the attachment ther is always a picture to the text, you donīt have to download it to see it ????? :help:

I know the file size canīt be to big (ca 180kbit) but that is not the problem. If pdf file format always is attached as a downloadable link, then is there any limits to the downloadable file size ? I have some texts and plots in large pdf format, could be 250-400 kbit. Is such a file postable ?

Could it be a problem with my own machine that canīt wiev pdf file format without a plug in (or somethingt like that)?

What do I wrong? Iīm working on Mac (right now Iīm working with Mac OS 9.2.2) I will upgrade to OS 10.3 soon :banghead:

or should I : :hate-pc:

Any answer appreciated

I was foolish not to check if ther was a tread on this subject before posting this= :bash:
Regards

Earl K
03-16-2005, 05:45 AM
Hi Flodstroem

This subject was raised recently ( by me ) - but I doubt if the info would be easy to find . ( Oh, it's in the thread I started about TIFF files )

I'm also running 9.2.2 on a Mac. Pdfs were not viewable until I installed the "Viewer Plugin". ( Odd that the plugin is actually published by Netscape for all browsers )

- pdf attachments will never "show" like a jpeg picture . ( one reason for this is that pdfs can be multipage - even at the current file limit size )

- to see a pdf attachment one must have the "Viewer" plugin in the browsers plugin folder . I've included it here as a "zipped" file. You can unstuff this file by using "Stuffit Expander". This plugin may be only for the Mac platform .

- put this plugin into your browsers plugin folder . I use Explorer 5.0(2022) ?

- You'll need to restart your browser for the plugin to become active .

- Once the plugin is active you need to decide what you want it to accomplish .

- This means going to the browsers "Preferences" and selecting the topic called "File Helpers" or something similar to that in Navigator.
- Once into the "File Helpers" area you need to scroll through hundreds of selections to get to "Portable Document Format". Select it and then hit the "change" button.
- Once in that area , there is a category called "Handling".
- A subcategory called "How To Handle" lets you tell the Browser what to do when it comes across a pdf file.
- I have selected "View with Plugin" . When I click on a pdf file - this boots up pdf viewer and I view the pdf from within the browser ( more or less ).

So, obviously you need "pdf viewer" ( as well as the "viewer" plugin ) installed on your computer for this to work . It's all a bit goofy - try it - if you have problems , ask again for help.

•• Oh one important thing. Once you have made the choice to view pdfs - downloading pdf attachments becomes more difficult. If you want to download a pdf you've first got to change the file handling "preference" to something called "Save To File" - found within the same submenu.••

:)

Flodstroem
03-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi Earl

Thank you for your informative answer. I understand all you say.

•• Oh one important thing. Once you have made the choice to view pdfs - downloading pdf attachments becomes more difficult. If you want to download a pdf you've first got to change the file handling "preference" to something called "Save To File" - found within the same submenu.••

I download pdsīs pretty often so, I think I will stay in the old modus a short time more because I will soon uppgrade to OS 10.3. I dont know what browser to use then, Could be Netscape, Apple or Opera... hmmmmmmmmm (thinking)

Thankīs again Earl for bothering

Regards