PDA

View Full Version : 4355 Help: Dimensions, etc..

geowal3
03-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Would appreciate any help providing internal dimensions for the 4355 monitor, especially for the doghouse. I've been all over this site to no avail - if they are here I'm blind. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Widget
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Here are some basic dimensions. Check your mail box as I've sent you a PM.
All of the cabinet panels are 1" thick. This shows a center divider which I chose to add. The original did not have it. I also used 2 4" ports per woofer instead of larger bent tubes.

For simplicity, this drawing does not show the several cubic feet of cross bracing that I added.

Widget

John
03-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Did JBL use baltic birch for the 4355??? I know for a fact that the 4350 used 3/4" baltic birch for the front baffle and assume for the rest of cabinet as well but even if they did not I would. The sub box for the 2202 was particule board.

duaneage
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Keep in mind that the box volume and port dimensions are dependent on the Inductors used in the crossover network. The lack of an inductor for the woofer (as in using active filters on the amp) will make the box smaller and the ducts longer. Using inductors that have higher resistance than normal will require a bigger box and shorter duct tubes.

How much different? The Qts of the speaker will need to be calculated based on the DC resistance of the different inductor and then applied to the box calculation. Not using an inductor will require redoing the box dimensions only.

If your not a perfectionist it may not matter, you may be able to stuff a little more or little less fibreglass into the enclosure to tune it. I like to determine the exact size as best I can.