PDA

View Full Version : JBL SRX738 as main monitor

Thomas Mygind
03-14-2005, 06:29 PM
The question here is : are there any technical reasons to why this speaker couldent be used as a main monitor for studio and home hifi use. It has 20khz response wich the old 38 dident.

I have a pair of both the new and old LSR63(32) and absolutely love them, I imagine that a more powerfull speaker could have less resolution in the high range..but dont see it as a given. If the srx738 sound anywhere near as good as the lsr but just bigger..they are a must have for me

any input is very welcome:)

Thomas Mygind
03-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Look at the specs again..the 20khz is both featured at -10 and +/- 3. I thought what you said when I first looked at it..but no id does have a real 20khz spec

Thomas Mygind
03-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Will do :)

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/SRX700_Flash_Presentation/JBL.SRX738.pdf

íf you look at the specs it says :

Specifications:

System Type: 18", three-way, bass-reflex,

Frequency Range (-10 dB): 35 Hz - 20 kHz

Frequency Response (±3 dB): 44 Hz - 20 kHz

the link you give dosent have the +/- 3 db spec on it

johnaec
03-14-2005, 07:22 PM
It looks like it drops like a rock above 15K, ('would probably be OK for my old R&R ears...).

John

mikebake
03-14-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't believe I care beyond 15k, so back to his original premise.

Thomas Mygind
03-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I dont set any criterion other than it have to sound good. I have very few numbers to go on..so I was asking for technical arguments for why it might not sound good. I myself have pondered over the graph vs the +/-3 db spec because they dont match. The old srx 38 dident have a 20khz spec so my reference is for that one. I once asked JBL about using the old 38 for main monitoring but they said it was too down in the high range to sound good enough. With the new 738 that might not be a problem. Jbl targets this speaker for vocal and live reproduction..decent highs are requred for female vocals.

again any informative input is very welcome..I dont mind giving this speaker a try unless there are good arguments against it

boputnam
03-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Don't know the SRX738, but you can see my report on the SRX712M which is an amazing wedge.

I've been running these wedges about a month now, and uniformly the artists are incredibly happy. They have never heard so well, and at lower SPL's (which makes mr. engineer happy!) due to their increased definition / intelligibility.

On specs alone I would not deploy them in a studio situation - they are made for a different application, although they would sound pretty darn good.