PDA

View Full Version : Presenting the Centreflex!

John Y.
03-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Finally, after many discussions and help from the forum, the Centreflex has taken shape.

The goal was to make a center channel system close in sound to the 4648A/2440/horn-serpentine-lens system that I use for the mains in my HT setup.

I arrived at a modular system consisting of two 2 cu. ft. enclosures, each housing a 2206H. The mids are the 2440/horn and lens, and a HF unit (075 or 2405) is added. The HF can be aimed to the seat about 8 ft. in front of the 65" RPTV.

I will attach a pic to show my progress. After my fit-checks and concept approval, I am now ready to disassemble the units (currently held together by their dado joints and a few clamps), cut out the front baffles for the drivers and 4" vents, and start the glue-up process. I thought you folks would be interested in the project from this point on.

mikebake
03-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Hi John; pretty neat-o. How heavy is it?

John Y.
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi John; pretty neat-o. How heavy is it?

Mike,
Good question. I have added up all the components and total is 162 lb. :( That said, my design constraint was to suspend the system from the two surfaces - a 2 x 4 will be on the back wall about a half inch higher than the RPTV. The two boxes will have their rears resting on this. The front of the boxes will be suspended from the 45 deg. sloped ceiling, the load taken by four rafters. The 2440 mid assembly will be suspended from a single rafter at the front with the main load at the rear resting on the 2 x 4 at the wall.

All this was pre-planned in the design. Altough my Mitsubishi dealer claims that he has stood on the top of a 65" RPTV, I don't want that kind of weight on my TV. There will be about 1/2" clearance between the center channel assembly and the RPTV. I will be able to secure the center in place and then roll the TV back to its location. :)

The picture showing the center assembly resting on the TV is only temporary for a fit check of the concept. No drivers, other than the 075 are currently installed so the total weight now on the TV is slightly less than 100 pounds.

John Y.

porschedpm
03-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi. Sounds like a great project. Any negative effect having that many big magnets sitting that close to your RPTV? I once placed a speaker next to my traditional tube TV and it distorted the colors on that side of the TV. Made everything turn green.

mikebake
03-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Cool. Yeah, I have a 52 inch Mitsu RPTV and I have been on top of it, but not probably a good idea in the long run. How big is the room?

Mike,
Good question. I have added up all the components and total is 162 lb. :( That said, my design constraint was to suspend the system from the two surfaces - a 2 x 4 will be on the back wall about a half inch higher than the RPTV. The two boxes will have their rears resting on this. The front of the boxes will be suspended from the 45 deg. sloped ceiling, the load taken by four rafters. The 2440 mid assembly will be suspended from a single rafter at the front with the main load at the rear resting on the 2 x 4 at the wall.

All this was pre-planned in the design. Altough my Mitsubishi dealer claims that he has stood on the top of a 65" RPTV, I don't want that kind of weight on my TV. There will be about 1/2" clearance between the center channel assembly and the RPTV. I will be able to secure the center in place and then roll the TV back to its location. :)

The picture showing the center assembly resting on the TV is only temporary for a fit check of the concept. No drivers, other than the 075 are currently installed so the total weight now on the TV is slightly less than 100 pounds.

John Y.

John Y.
03-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi. Sounds like a great project. Any negative effect having that many big magnets sitting that close to your RPTV? I once placed a speaker next to my traditional tube TV and it distorted the colors on that side of the TV. Made everything turn green.

Very good question. This is one thing I checked out before cutting my box pieces. I have known for a long time that the 2440 is no problem, as are most of the alnicos. The 2206H's sitting vertically on top of the TV in their final location do not produce any undue effects. The Mitsubishi 65" RPTV comes apart into a lower and upper half (which is one of the reasons I bought it - it could be moved up the stairs to my HT room over the garage, whereas one piece units that size could not). The lower half contains the electron "guns" and they are over 3 ft. below the TV top. I'd say the speaker magnet centers are about 4 ft. on a diagonal to the electron guns. This appears to be sufficient. In the unlikely event that I am wrong, there is always the possibility of a mu metal shield sandwich between the Centreflex and the TV.

John Y.

John Y.
03-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Cool. Yeah, I have a 52 inch Mitsu RPTV and I have been on top of it, but not probably a good idea in the long run. How big is the room?

Mike,

The wall that is where the TV resides is 19 1/2 ft. Call that the width. The depth is 15 ft. and the height is 8 ft. with the front and rear ceilings sloped at 45 deg., like the front one shown in the picture.

I really wish that I had a little more depth to the room since my listening sofa is positioned out from the rear wall about 2 ft. and the rear surrounds are close. I have the rears bounce off the sloped ceiling behind me, which does help. I only use the 7.1 for movies. Music I am content with 5.1 (or 2.0 with my Theil 2.2's and conrad johnson tube amp). All side and rear surrounds are the L100's I have had for over 25 years.

John Y.