PDA

View Full Version : Dbx Driverack 260

mick c
03-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi guys, I just purchased a DBX driverack 260 (pc driven). I figured if I got a nice pair of monitors it would be import to have good control over them. I purchased the DBX 260 with measurement mic and leads for $2100.00au.
I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with this unit, and I would be interested in your thoughts obout its operation. I hope with the help of the RTA I can tune my 4435's (and urei system when its done) to match my room and my tastes. The sales guy said the DBX 260 will keep me entertained with all its capabilities. :)
Mick................

johnaec
03-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I have a Driverack 260 and like it a lot. My main experience with it has been as a bass guitar pre-amp, which works fine once it's setup. The problem with using it for this application is that it doesn't lend itself to quick on-the-fly changes while on stage, which is frustrating, especially since it has ALL the effects I need in one single space unit.

I have used it for studio monitor setup, but not with the crossover portion yet. The Auto-EQ actually works surprisingly well. I plan to really put it through its paces before long - I just haven't had a setting where I could utilize it to its best yet.

Let's keep in touch on this though - it's so comprehensive that there's always more to learn.

BTW - there's a lot of good info at www.driverack.com (http://www.driverack.com/). Their main techs even answer lots of stuff in the user group forums over there, and they've got some very good white papers posted. The main clientele over there seems to be live pro audio.

John

mick c
03-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reply John, I hope to have it all up and running at the end of this week. It will be great to keep in contact with you, I'm sure the DBX 260 will keep me amused for hours...

Tim Rinkerman
03-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I have listened to several drivewrecks since they came out and I would not consider them to be an audiophile grade piece. What comes out does not sound like what goes in...dynamics really seem to suffer. In a live situation it's less noticeable,and the flexibility takes your mind off of it. Even though less reliable,the BSS Soundweb is a much better sounding unit. DBX's history has always been compression and expansion,I think they are deaf to anything else.