PDA

View Full Version : how to open a 035Ti

gerard
03-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Hello

I bought on ebay 2 035ti for my 250ti project .
one is not working : no sound at all .

I do not know what could be the problem and do not know how to open it , there are 4 screw behind a grill but don't know how to remove the grill

any help appreciated .

regards

Gerard

johnaec
03-12-2005, 02:15 PM
To remove the grill, get a small "pick"-like object, something like a dentist uses when probing for cavities. Then, carefully stick a pointed end down the edge of the groove around the screen. You'll need to "hook" the rubber "grommet" or o-ring that is seated there and carefully start pulling it up. Once you've got it out all the way around, the screen just pops out.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you about repairing them after that - I've never had the fronts off, just the screens...

John

invstbiker
03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello Gerard, I just did one of these myself, super easy. I purchased my new diaphragm form speakersaver.com in FL There price was $50 bucks +/- everybody else wanted $92. Part came in an original JBL box with warrantee, etc INCLUDING a new rubber O ring. If you ruin the old O ring taking it out, no prob, caus' you've got a new one in the kit. Once you get the O ring out, the screen comes right off and you've got 4 allen head screws which separates the magnet from the diaphragm. My part came with a new stick on foam that supports the titanium dome. Replace this, pop the new diaphragm on, gently tighten the screws in a criss/cross manner, replace screen and put the new O ring on. I used the blunt edge of a small allen wrench to push the O ring into place. Hope this helps...:cheers:

gerard
03-12-2005, 04:12 PM
hello

how should I know the tweeter is blown ?

regards

Gerard

johnaec
03-12-2005, 06:24 PM
how should I know the tweeter is blown ?The easiest, most obvious check is to measure the DC resistance across the two terminals. If it's open, it's likely blown. I imagine the direct current resistance should be somehwere between 4-8 ohms.

John

duaneage
03-12-2005, 09:44 PM
I saved a 035Ti once by resoldering the lead wire back onto the connection for the terminal. THe small wire had come loose because it was soldered (the heat loosened the wire up)

If the leads were soldered see if that happened here. I have replaced the VC in these tweeters, it is a easy thing to do. Just make sure no dirt or lint gets in the gap and take your time.

hector.murray
03-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Replace this, pop the new diaphragm on, gently tighten the screws in a criss/cross manner, replace screen and put the new O ring on.
WHOA!
When replacing diaphragms, or cracking open a tweet, it's best that when you reassemble, treat it like doing a resurround. With the screws a little loose, run a test signal through it, say 2.2k, to allow the diaphram to center and slowly tighten the screws while listening to the tweet for anomolies.
Using a standard torque pattern here isn't what you want to do here really.

gerard
03-13-2005, 02:30 AM
thank everybody i open the 035.
it seems there is no continuity between the thin wire on the diaphragm and the wire connector ?

I may I have to change the diaphragm but I do not get the word "blown" ?
what can be blown on this part ?

regards

Gerard

johnaec
03-13-2005, 08:38 AM
...I do not get the word "blown" ?
what can be blown on this part ?"Blown" is simply a generic term used to describe a speaker that no longer functions for any reason. It probably derives from "blow up", as in a dynamite explosion used to destroy something.

John

invstbiker
03-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Hector.Murray-Hello

IMHO...What might be helpful to us "non-electrical people" is to go into a little more detail about running a current through, etc. What kind of meter? how to? do you do these? Mine came out just fine, maybe I got lucky, sounds great. Thx in advance...:)

hector.murray
03-13-2005, 01:14 PM
You need to use a frequency generator. Whether this is a software based sig gen, such as the one included in winisd, or a dedicated piece of external test equipment (audio signal generator - mfrs and prices vary) what you need to do is generate a 2.2 kiloHertz signal, as I recall the voltage level is 2 volts per Giskard (it's here in the forum somewhere) apply the signal to the tweet and listen as you gently tighten the screws. Your listening for improved/degradeded sound as you tighten the screws.
An 035 is fairly easy, as it has alignment pins, as you will see in the pic, at the 10 and 4 o'clock positions. this is a bigger issue for other diaphragms though.

porschedpm
03-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Hi, Hector. When you installed the new daphragm, how did you connect the thin wire leads? Do they get soldered onto the spade terminals? When I opened an 035ti the thin wire leads were encased completely in a type of wax or resin.

hector.murray
03-13-2005, 01:59 PM
New diaphragms from JBL come as an assembly just like the pic above, already connected to the terminals. The pic is actually an 035 diaphragm that I purchased a few months back.

invstbiker
03-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Hector, Thx for the extra info on these tweets, much appreciated!:applaud:

gerard
03-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Well ,

My 035 ti is alive again , wire was broken inside the resine add on and I just had to connect it .

Hope this will be useful to some other fellows .

Thank's everybody for help .

Gerard .

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6080&stc=1

johnaec
03-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Good job!

John

hector.murray
03-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Good job! I didn't understand at first, that the continuity was interupted. Good repair. I hope it gives you years of service!
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

invstbiker
03-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Gerard, Way to GO...Congrats:D

kevin_hill54
03-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Great info

I had a dead 044 in my L112's and was trying to find one but following this thread I pulled mine apart and found the wire to the voice coil was broken next to the voice coil under the actual cone itself. With a fine blade I lifted the cone soldered a wire the same size to the broken part.
With my wifes nail polish to stick down the new wires the job was conplete and now my 112's are back to their fantastic self.

Another success story.

duaneage
03-08-2008, 06:40 PM
The poster that fixed the 035 found the same problem I did many years ago. I think rough handling or heat from soldering loosened the wire from the terminal.

With parts and prices getting out of control repairing these drivers is a feat of magic and luck.