PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer recommendation

Woody Banks
03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Howdy
I am in the process of putting together a HT system that is close to John Y's. I am using the 2206/2425 combo for the surrounds and a dual 2118's/2425 for the center. What would be a decent subwoofer to mate with a setup like this? I do have a 2240 that I was considering using. My HT room measures 15'x20'. What do you think?

Zilch
03-11-2005, 12:42 PM
You didin't tell us your mains.

HT wants extended bass.

I'd be thinking more along the line of pairs of 2235 based B380 or LE14H-1 based Citation 7.4 approaches.

For BIG, it'd be single 2245 B460 or 2242 4645B.

For REALLY big, it'd be pairs of them. :D

Oh, and Sub1500, of course, NLA, alas....

arrgh5
03-11-2005, 04:06 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5030

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61381&item=5759601386&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

:D :D

Steve Gonzales
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
A big enclosure is not very easy to integrate into a room unless it is a dedicated Theater. Revel Ultima SUB15 is a great choice. Face it, there are many good subs that are not JBL or Harman derived. If you must have JBL only (completely understood), check out their HT subs in the $750-1k range. If I wanted the best sub for that sized room and have a relatively compact enclosure, true 16hz capability, massive output AND beautiful styling (WAF baby!), then look no further than your nearest Definitive Technology dealer and have a listen to their new SuperCube Reference. Hey, don't shoot me for the non-JBL plug. I love JBL, you gotta know that!. BUT... that friggin sub is AMAZING!!!!!! 1800 watt digital amp and a long throw 14" driver coupled to 2 14" passives in a tidy little box with black lacqured top and bottom caps. Give one at least a listen. Go see them at Magnolia Hi Fi on 82nd Ave ( I lived in Portland for 11 years). I would appreciate a post about your impression or a PM. Thanks and good luck, Steve

Woody Banks
03-12-2005, 09:59 AM
As for the mains, I will probably try a pair of L300 clones that I just finished overhauling. They were actually L200 clones that I performed a speakerectomy on an turned them into a three way system using a 2404. I realize I commited a sin by not using the 2405 but it had to do with what fit the best. I changed the veneer from oak to rosewood. My only problem now is that the grills which are oak and canning no longer match the rosewood cabinets. I will attempt to attach a photo of my clones later.
Thanks for the advice on the subs.
My biggest problem is that when I start looking at new equipment it's like a blind dog in a meathouse.
Woody ;)

Mr. Widget
03-12-2005, 01:54 PM
I changed the veneer from oak to rosewood.

Finally some sanity on this forum! I know that will make them sound better, even when they are not powered up!

Please do post a pic or two. Here is a source for some affordable decent looking grille cloth in a variety of colors.

http://www.speakerworks.net/grill_cloth.html

Widget

Earl K
03-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I changed the veneer from oak to rosewood.

I agree with Widget. Rosewood is the best sounding wood ;)

It really sings on my Guild D50 . :p

Seriously though, look at what Wardsweb did with it . Absolutely stellar . :thmbsup:

( Though I'm still disappointed about the lack of any new "sightings" on his friends Apple-Green RCA ( Worldsfair ) horns. :blink: )

:D

Mr. Widget
03-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree with Widget.

I am going to edit this comment right here and frame it! :D

Widget

Earl K
03-12-2005, 02:25 PM
OOOps

Sorry Woody, the veneer made me do it :offtopic:

2240 ? :dont-know, really

It can be reconed into a 2245H . They share the same magnetic assembly.

IMO; the 2240 has too stiff a suspension and too high an Fs to be worth incorporating the necessary sized box into your HT setup . The results just won't make that big box worth the effort. OTOH; a similar sized box with a 2245h will give a happy smile - type results . Just My Opinion

:D

Widget ;

Originally Posted by Earl K
"I agree with Widget."

I am going to edit this comment right here and frame it!

Widget

What can I say, I really love red woods .,,, :cheers:

Woody Banks
03-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I unfortunately purchased the 2240 before I picked up my design SW. Sometimes size does matter. I am leaning towards Steve's suggestion of a (heaven forbid) non JBL subwoofer.

If the gods are with me I will attach a few project photos. The Hartsfields I did in Bubinga. They make a real statement.;) P.S. They will be available shortly.

Zilch
03-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Look at that freekin' WOOD!

[Oregon's close to Berkeley, no?]

Titanium Dome
03-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, $%#^ my #@@ and call me &*&^%$&^@# in the morning!

Well done. :applaud:

Mr. Widget
03-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey nice work.

I realize that you have a fair amount of work into those cane grilles... too bad, bag 'em. They are no longer up to the current aesthetic.

Widget

Earl K
03-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey, :yes:

Very Nice, I missed the initial pics ( I had to go pour a glass of the red stuff ).

Now to show my ignorance , ( since I was also searching in a book on trees native to N.A.,,, but to no avail ) where is the Bubinga tree a native species ? Ahh I see now,,, Africa .

Thank God for Google !

:cheers:

Steve Gonzales
03-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Simply and utterly OUT-friggin'-Standing! How ironic that your name is WOODY!, Well done, Sir.

And you need a sub because......???????

Steve Gonzales
03-16-2005, 10:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5760303640&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

how about a pair of these? they look good and also could use a ROSEWOOD FACELIFT! GOOD LUCK!

Zilch
03-16-2005, 11:03 AM
No mention of grilles, alas, though the pins seem to be intact.

Those are in better shape than any of mine, actually....

wally44
03-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Who cares what's inside - just admire the woodwork... That really is a work of art, and yes I found a timber merchant (yep that's what they're called here) who has Bubinja and all kinds of other wonderful stuff. But I very much doubt that I could come close to the works of art in this thread.:yes: