PDA

View Full Version : Won A Pair Of 4435's On Ebay

mick c
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, just won a pair of 4435's on ebay. I paid $3150au for them, and they came with a Craft C3 power amp rated at 1kw. They came out of a studio in Sydney, I can't wait to pick them up. My question is, will I enjoy them?
I have owned a pair of 4350b's for a short period, how will these things compare?
regards mike. :)

Ian Mackenzie
03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I am sure you will love them, ask John Nebel, he prefers the 4435's to his 4 way 4343 ..the next model down from the 4350.

Ian

mick c
03-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks ian, do you think the price is ok?, considering they came with an amp.
Mick..

Ian Mackenzie
03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
What condition are the drivers?

Ian

mick c
03-10-2005, 12:59 AM
hey Ian, apparently the condition of these things are exellent. I had a mate look at them for me, and he said they looked like they were brand new to him. So hopefully they are ok. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.
Mick.....

John
03-10-2005, 04:33 AM
Do you still have the 4350's :applaud:

Ian Mackenzie
03-10-2005, 05:06 AM
I would go for it, all E Bay transactions hold some risk , just make sure they arrive in good order.

There are loads of members here who would be delighted to own a pair of 4435's, you are in safe hands.

Ian

mick c
03-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi john, relationship departure saw the end of the 4350's.

Thanks Ian, I'm paying for them today. It's becoming an expensive hobby for me. I hope buying these things will satisfy all my needs, and can start to enjoy my music again. I'm just toying with how I'll get the things to Brisbane. Luckely they are in their original packing, so maybe IPEC is an option. I also got those Urei drivers and network coming from the U.S, I'm not sure what to do with all that gear now.
Mick..............

Robh3606
03-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Good Luck with them!! I think you will be happy;)

Rob:)

Hofmannhp
03-10-2005, 04:25 PM
.......I hope buying these things will satisfy all my needs, and can start to enjoy my music again. .................

believe me....it's the beginning....not the end....:banghead:

HP

yggdrasil
03-11-2005, 01:44 AM
believe me....it's the beginning....not the end....:banghead:

HP

Definitely just the beginning. :D

Good luck.

mick c
03-11-2005, 02:00 AM
I hope I'm at the end of it guys, I turn 40 on Monday and this hobby has been a part of me since I was 18. I hate to think just how much I have spent over those years.

Ken Andrew
03-11-2005, 04:40 AM
Like many on this forum I search every second day for a bargain priced pair of large JBLs which are located in Australia.

Every pair of 4435 I have found so far has missing grills, rounded corners, gouged cabinets, extra holes around the speaker rims, missing clamps, and multiple recones. The seller claimed your cabinets were without a mark and so I was going to bid to $3500. My wife was arguing priorities, etc, so we watched it slip through my fingers in those final few minutes. Getting the amp thrown in was a bonus.

Has anyone experienced denial of service attack ? The week before a 4331 pair was on e-Bay. I was the highest bidder for 6 days on $500 so my e-mail address was known to all. In the last 7 minutes of the auction I was unable to get a higher bid through and they eventually went for $920. My network icon was going crazy although I wasn't sending or receiving anything apart from trying to get e-bay to accept my bid of $1000.

Consequently I no longer make a bid until the last 5 minutes.

Ken Andrew
03-11-2005, 05:03 AM
4350 vs 4435. Based on memories of 4350 of 25 years ago:

The 4350 has a bigger cabinet and you have to pass it off as a bookshelf.
The 4350 sounds 'in your face'. It is sharp, harsh, and very very loud.
The 4350 sounds crap if the hardware feeding it lacks quality and quantity.
At full volume, the 4350 will deafen you and demolish the house.
The 4350 is full of 'listener fatigue'.

The 4435 is a little smaller than a projection TV.
The 4435 has smoother treble and much superior imaging.
The 4435 sounds 'nice' with even a modest setup.
The 4435 (unlike the 4350) does not 'slice the air' (lacks bite) and does not pressurise the ear canals (lacks 'blast').

The 4350 will entertain the neighbours (without having to ask them). The 4435 are for personal use and home theature.

Before you say I am full of crap, these are just opinions and should be read as such.

mick c
03-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Sorry ken, your loss is my gain. I can't wait to get these things up here this week. Just to let you know my max bid was $5600.00au. I don't have a wife so my priorities are obvious. :) In any case, If you are ever on the gold coast you are more than welcome, as is anyone to share my listening treasures.The urei gear I got off Mike is hopefully on its way, and I've decided to make the enclosures to suit 2245's as the helper woofer. I sold a ute to the furniture manufacturer down the road, as part payement he is going to build the boxes for me.
Mick...........

duaneage
03-12-2005, 09:00 PM
L
Has anyone experienced denial of service attack ? The week before a 4331 pair was on e-Bay. I was the highest bidder for 6 days on $500 so my e-mail address was known to all. In the last 7 minutes of the auction I was unable to get a higher bid through and they eventually went for $920. My network icon was going crazy although I wasn't sending or receiving anything apart from trying to get e-bay to accept my bid of $1000.

Consequently I no longer make a bid until the last 5 minutes.

An email address would not be enough for them to launch DOS unless it was from a server you operate and you had a single point of presence on the internet that they could determine from the MX record and whois.net.

The secret to winning on eBay truly is to keep your money in your pocket until the last minute. Toss maximum buck at the end when there just is not enough time for anyone to raise it. You might pay more but you'll win and not pay everything.

It goes against human nature to wait like this. We want to own the item and we want it now. This is why eBay hates side deals and tries to prevent them. Everytime I have tossed a bid even 30 minutes before the close I have been screwed, either by paying too much or losing to some jackass that came out of nowhere. I am after an item that ends 9:30 PM this Monday night, I will bid no earlier than 9:25 if I bid at all.

Forget about finding something for nothing. 5 billion people are looking at eBay every second and items sell for what they sell. Benefits sellers, makes monkeys out of buyers.

If it is any consolation when you loose an auction you still have your money. A few hours later you may realize you don't need the item after all.

Zilch
03-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Upon winning, I am always reassured by the knowledge that 5 billion others didn't think it worth as much as the Zilchster did.... :p

jtgyn
04-02-2005, 05:06 PM
G'Day Mick,
Did you send the monitors back? I am being offered these on a

"This is a SECOND CHANCE OFFER for the item titled " JBL STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKER SYSTEM "(Item# 7305310325 )."

I smell a rat...

Regards Scott

mick c
04-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I got the same message, but they are sitting in my lounge room right now. I am a little dissapointed though, after some closer inspection I noticed the surrounds are starting to rot. I got back onto the seller, as he started that they were in perfect order. He has agreed to pay for new foams and have them fitted. Jands has ordered the kits and advised me on who to do the job up here in brisbane. The amp was also dead on arrival, i didn't even bother saying anything to the seller about this, I just need to find someone around brisbane that can service craft amps.
Mick........

jtgyn
04-02-2005, 06:17 PM
G'Day Mick,
Yep, I thought so.

JANDS don't normally do foam kit.. just recones... that >$1000 worth of kits!

Regards Scott

mikebake
04-02-2005, 07:14 PM
a) I am slightly reconsidering my observations about JBL 15's being a little fuzzy at the top of their range when "asked to slog all the way up" to 1000cpsand I think a big part of 4430/4435 sounding right is the very solid LF performance. Every time I listen I think it seems that it this LF performance that ties it all together and makes them good. Change the LF weight and I think it would all change. Of course, that is just my latest theory...........:)

Ian Mackenzie
04-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Mick,

Sorry to hear of the initial dissapointment, at least the seller is honourable enough to do the right thing.

I bought two items on Ebay recently, and nearly got fowled on both.
One, the goods never arrived, the other only half the order.

I sent several messages to the sellers and nothing for over a week.

I then posted negative feedback and within hours they were talking to me and both were resolved.

It would appear regular traders value their positive feedback.

Ian

mick c
04-02-2005, 07:47 PM
a) I am slightly reconsidering my observations about JBL 15's being a little fuzzy at the top of their range when "asked to slog all the way up" to 1000cpsand I think a big part of 4430/4435 sounding right is the very solid LF performance. Every time I listen I think it seems that it this LF performance that ties it all together and makes them good. Change the LF weight and I think it would all change. Of course, that is just my latest theory...........:)

I agree with the Lf performance of the4435's, as i removed the damaged drivers from my 4435's and so I still have something to listen to, I relaced them with a pair of e-145's I have. After eq adjustments were made I relised that e-145's don't cut it. The difference is light and day. Think I'll take up reading until the foam kits arrive. Jands says 3 weeks for the kits to arrive.
hey Ian, have you got any idea on who services Craft amps in australia? I wonder if anyone in the forum has any experience with the kiwi made craft amps, and if its worth getting repaired. The model is C-3 1 kw output, I guessing 500 wrms per side.
mick

Ian Mackenzie
04-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't know anything about Craft amps, try a web search for local distributors.

Ian

jtgyn
04-03-2005, 12:58 AM
G'Day Mick,
I seem to remember that the C3 was good for about 200W into 8 ohms.. but ask the guy that designed it...

[email protected]

Regards Scott