PDA

View Full Version : Altec A7

JBLROCKS
02-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Hello

I have a question...I am seriously thinking of building a pair of Altec A7's (VOTT early 60's) BUT they are HUGE!!
I was wondering if anyone knew if I could build them a bit smaller (Perhaps about a foot shorter) without serious changes in sound quality. This box is nearly 16 C.F. :blink:

I was thinking to make it about making 8-10 C.F. and adjusting the port accordingly but leaving the horn dimensions the same.

Will this work?

Ben Clarke
02-26-2005, 09:55 PM
In general, no, but with Yuris amp it might.

Only if you don't use adapters.

dancing-dave
02-26-2005, 10:20 PM
"You can't miniturize a wavelength" - Rudy Bozak

No way you can change the cabinet size and expect the same results. Only way to preserve any of the sound is to ensure the total inner volume is preserved.

JBLROCKS
02-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Only if you don't use adapters.

Adapters?

:hmm:

grumpy
02-26-2005, 10:52 PM
:uhmmmm:unless you want to get pulled into an ugly flame war.

You can do whatever you want with the A7 design, but then it won't
sound like an A7 (shorter horn, reduced cab vol might lose bass & cause
more pronounced mids due to a loss of bottom-end efficiency and horn geometry
changes).
Biamp and eq your way out of it if you've the time & resources :D

Mr. Widget
02-27-2005, 12:54 AM
I think with the appropriate adapters even a stock A-7 could be made to sound good. :uhmmmm:

Widget

Art J.
02-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Someone built a mini a7. Take a look

http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/mini_a7.htm

Mr. Widget
02-27-2005, 12:34 PM
And they are damned cute too! :applaud:

Widget

duaneage
02-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Unless you work for Bose you cannot defeat physics andthe A7s are a classic example of that. Takes air to make sound move.

I heard a pair in a jazz club in Hokaido Japan years ago. Simply incredible.

spkrman57
02-27-2005, 01:13 PM
that goes for engines and speakers!!!

Ron

JBLROCKS
02-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I think with the appropriate adapters even a stock A-7 could be made to sound good. :uhmmmm:

Widget

again, adapters? :hmm: :confused: :dont-know :help:

Mr. Widget
02-27-2005, 06:55 PM
It was a bad joke.
I was digging at the flame war between Yuri and.... and I was poking fun at the fact that the Altec A-7 really needs equalization and other tweaks to make it listenable. There are those that like them stock, but then, well, um, er:uhmmmm:

Widget

JBLROCKS
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM
It was a bad joke.
I was digging at the flame war between Yuri and.... and I was poking fun at the fact that the Altec A-7 really needs equalization and other tweaks to make it listenable. There are those that like them stock, but then, well, um, er:uhmmmm:

Widget

Thanks Widget

Sinve you say this do you think it is worth the time/labor to build these or is there something better?:cheers:

Mr. Widget
02-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks Widget

Sinve you say this do you think it is worth the time/labor to build these or is there something better?:cheers:

I may not be the person to ask that question. If I had more space and someone offered me a pair of A-7s I would take them for the nostalgia. Would I spend time to build a set for myself? No way in hell.

What is better? Is a battleship better than a ski boat? What is your goal?

Widget

Cyclotronguy
03-02-2005, 03:15 PM
A7's were designed for theater use and forced into other roles where the theater strengths were weakness.

The typical theater of the day had very low amplifier power and projection screens that were not all that transparent to vocal frequencies. Altec A7, 828, 825 had a bumped response that worked well in these settings. Give them a large domestic room, some eq. and adjust your expectations such that 40 Hz bass is "good-enough" and they can be stellar.

Cyclotronguy

ec1288
05-10-2005, 01:20 AM
Anyone shows interest in building the Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre speaker, check out my website at

http://www.geocities.com/ec1288/

I have built the Altec A5(515B + 288C + 1005B) quite a couple of years back and I am still enjoying the music with this pair of speakers very much. Recently. I have added a pair of JBL 2405 to further enhance the sound.

Rodney Aho
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
At one time Altec published construction plans for a smaller version of the A7 system. It used the same components, but installed in a somewhat smaller box. I suspect their performance was somewhat less than a full A7, but with equalization you might be able to compensate. Not sure how to get you a PDF of the plans...

pyoung
01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Try 816. They are like the top portion of the A7 and A5 but a little smaller. You probably won't get the same low end, but you will still get thumped in the chest even with a smallish amp. Google altec 816 specifications and you'll find it. Believe me if you are going to use them in a small to mid size room in a house you'll definitely feel them. If you are like me I have added a custom pair of JBL 4530 scoops built for 18" loaded with JBL. Even outside they will thump you good. In a mid size room you'll be impressed.