PDA

View Full Version : ALNICO recharge

rbrooks7
02-26-2005, 06:07 PM
What is the process for recharging ALNICO drivers? How difficult is it?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Audiobeer
02-26-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't know how the process of regaussing drivers work. I do know it is highly unusual that an Alnico driver needs this done unless it has been dropped I'm told. I only know of two places that do it. Orange County speaker repair and JBL. I'm not speaking from practical experience but from what I have picked up from here.

mike
02-26-2005, 08:25 PM
I would imagine that it is as simple as placing the magnet in a strong magnetic field of the correct polarity. Although I'm not sure if it can be done from the front of the speaker with the cone in place. Whereas the potting structure would probably prevent doing it from the rear. Maybe they have to disassemble the speaker to do it.

I've always heard that the alnico magnets can be degaussed by a counterflux that is too strong. In otherwords too much current through the voice coil can weaken the magnet. Though I have never encountered this problem myself and I have played around with LE10A,LE14A,LE15A, 136A, 123A-1, 126A woofers.

Mike

hector.murray
02-26-2005, 08:34 PM
I dunno, I've read Giskard say a few times to get the ALNICOs remagged. I know a number of reconing shops do it as a routine matter when they recone speakers.
Bill Hanuschak @ Great Plains Audio in Oklahoma City does remag as well. I seem to recall reading somewherethat it involves an electromagnet and that if not properly done you can create a remarkable projectile, the termination of which significantly alters the dynamic response of the speaker.

Earl K
02-26-2005, 08:41 PM
What is the process for recharging ALNICO drivers?

- To regauss properly, the process requires a machine that is worth a couple tens of thousands of dollars .

How difficult is it?

- see above, so forget about jury-rigging something.

Any info would be much appreciated.

- since you are obviously in Oklahoma - you might be in luck , your JBL stuff might be able to be recharged at GPA - Great Plains Audio (http://www.GreatPlainsAudio.com/) . Bill Hanuschak is the propieters name. Apparently he responds best to telephone calls. Telephone # is (405) 789-0221 . FWIW; responding to email seems to be one of his lower priorities . He's an ex-Altec man so you'll need to find out if he'll actually handle your JBLs . You may need to sweet talk him into taking a JBL product onto the premises. :D

** Shipping Address:**** GREAT PLAINS AUDIO ™
********** *7127 NORTHWEST THIRD ST.
*********** OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA*** 73127
******* Telephone # ; (405) 789-0221

:cheers:

rbrooks7
02-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Great Plains is not far from my shop so I'll have to give em a ring.

pelly3s
02-27-2005, 02:48 PM
I regauss speakers at my shop for $25 a peice. pm me if you are interested.