PDA

View Full Version : Crossover info for N800F in 9844 studio monitors

Ben Clarke
02-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi all. First post here (as you can gather). I've recently purchased a pair of 9844 monitors for my project studio. I don't have them yet, but know they will need some attention to the networks. Anyone have a schematic or any info on the N800? Any other general info regarding this classics would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Just for background's sake, I run Klipschorns (hopefully not a dirty word here) and Mc30 in the living room. I'm considering Heath W5M for the Altecs, as I have a pair being rebuilt.

Ben

Steve Gonzales
02-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I've had a pair of those and never really played them:( . I just parted them out. I think the 9844a had the gold colored 414Z's (2), a green 806a,811b and n800f. I should have listened to them for more time than it took to verify that all the drivers worked. Funny, this pair was a factory set that was cosmetically updated to match the newer of the two, the other enclosure had 414's that had black colored baskets, a black 811b and a black 806a, n800f. I gave the crossovers to my brother and he now uses them in a big system for his 2420/2312 JBL horns . Not bad at all. Those 414's fetch a pretty penny, I've sold 3 prs for about $250.00 a pair. Here is the link to the BEST Altec supplier in the world at this time: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/ Good Luck and welcome to the LHS!

Ben Clarke
02-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Steve. My original intent was to part them out, but after reading some comments from many people I don't know anything about and, a few that I do, I started thinking that I could use some large monitors for mid-field use!

I'll probably pick them up next weekend, and go from there.

Steve Gonzales
02-28-2005, 01:27 AM
I've seen photos of these in a near field set-up. Pre 4311 days, the horn on the bottom allowed for this type of use. I must admit that the 414's are sweet woofers, just like a 416-8B except in a 12" frame. I would try to augment these with a JBL UHF like a 2405,2402 or 2404. You can use an N7000 or 8000 to integrate one into them. I know the Altec purists will say different but, there is something speacial about the JBL family of UHF drivers that are (IMHO) second to NONE in the world. Aluminum diaphagms of that size 1-3/4" start to break up at about 8-9k and I believe that the dedicated JBL UHF driver will make a huge difference. I'm not saying that the 806's are not good enough, I'm saying that once you hear the silky smoothness of a JBL UHF, you could never go back to listening without one. I look forward to reading about your listening impressions. Best Regards, Steve G

Ben Clarke
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Fine suggestion. I'll certainly keep it in mind. I can see the benefit of operating elements in their ideal range, so that makes sense. I didn't expect them to go as high as my current near-fields, but I have a feeling the Altecs will mop the floor with them from 5-6KHz right on down. I hadn't considered adding tweets, though.

Ben Clarke
03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Anyone have a schematic for the n800f? The crossover in one of the pair that I just picked up today is a bit of a barn job. I'm looking to build a pair from scratch, and a schem would help me get preliminary plans together, rather than waiting until I have time & space at home to get into the network physically.

Thanks