PDA

View Full Version : Landed some L88's

clmrt
02-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Dave -

If you look at this forum, Thanks for the deal. Nice speakers.:D

First question I have, is that these have white cones, not black / grey like every other L88 illustration I've been able to find. SN's are 272xx. What gives?

Other than that, I can't wait to get them home and see what this JBL thing is all about. Right now I have a pair of Seville's I'm thrilled with.

- CM

Robh3606
02-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Which ones do you have?? You have the P's with the built in subenclosure for the M-12 Epander Kit?? Makes them L100's. The latter ones came with white coned 123-a's. Mine did anyway.

Rob:)

clmrt
02-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Nope, not those (not the expander "plus" type).

I looked this up on JBL.com, and it shows a white cone in one photo, so I answered my own question on that.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/L88om.pdf

Photo's -

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/61031109.html

Steve Gonzales
02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Nice score! Does your pair have that expander option? There should be a block-off plate where a Le5 would go?. I owned a pair of these in the mid 90's and thought that they where a nice sounding 2 way.

I can't tell if the "nope not these" is talking about woofer type or the expander option deal.

clmrt
02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Edited for clarity. Not the expandable type, but I suppose they could be hacked. I'm going to go for a good refinish, but if they're too scratched to save I'll maybe paint them black. The veneer is pretty toast. Can't wait to get them in the house...

Funny how floppy the 123 is when you tap it. Most other woofers are quite firm in the suspension, whereas this one really bounces.
:bouncy:
(I can't help but play with woofers like that. Carefully...)

Steve Gonzales
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I must have a pair or two of the tube enclosures for the LE5's around here somewhere if you need them. They sound good as a two-way though. I've got to tell you that painting the boxes black woud be a LAST resort!! With some visual how-to's and some patience, you can repair almost any damage, I'd really like to help you do that. Also, Audiobeer is a master restoration guy too, you might look at both our posts regarding refinish work. There is some thing special about bringing damaged JBL's back to life that gives one an extra measure of satisfaction. Post some pic's of them once you get them and I will give an opinion about which way to go, if you would like. Thanks for sharing, Steve G

BTW: 123a's are kinda "floppy" aren't they?. That is normal. You can restore the cones back to virginal white by following my "A bright idea for yellowed Aquaplas" thread;)

clmrt
02-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Well-

One channel doesn't fire until you throw a few watts across it. Then it springs into life, in full fidelity, with an occasional dropout. Upon closer inspection, that cabinet had a bit of damage on the baffle next to the tweeter / port board. I lifted the woofer out and the xover seems intact, the tweeter wires have been cut and re-soldered. I wonder if someone tried to fix this and failed.