View Full Version : 4313/L96 project update

02-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I finished off the first baffle board of my 4313/L96 clones tonight. Having already soldered up the bypass caps on one of the 3113B crossovers, I quickly mounted the crossover and press fit the baffle into the enclosure. Mounting the drivers was a snap and then fired it up. I had it on one channel and A/B'd the speaker with the existing 12" based speaker.
WOW! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :applaud:

This was a sound trial before painting the baffle board (and too impatient to wait for a finished product)
I'd like to send thanks out to all those who helped make this possible:
Guido, Zilch, Audiobeer, Giskard, EarlK.
I need to paint the baffle board and either do some serious work to the existing veneer or, more easily, reskin it with new veneer. I'm thinking bloodwood or mahogeny

I discovered why the first sound test on the mock up sounded so badly. One of my crossovers I suspect has a set of bad caps. 3 of the 4 caps on that crossover, the wax looks like it was melted at some point. Looks Like I'm changing some caps. I'm thinking that I'll use the coils to build a charge coupled unit. Then I'll A/B that!

02-25-2005, 03:32 AM
I'm glad this worked out. I was a little surprised after reading your last (dissapointed) report as I find the 4313/L96 sounding fantastic.

Post Pics :applaud:

02-25-2005, 07:51 AM
Of the 2 3113B crossovers that I have, the one I selected for the original mock up test is most likely defetive. I had noticed that wax on those original caps, but just put it down to age. When I went to put the bypass caps in, I noticed the differance in the appearance of the 2 networks and had second thoughts. . I bypassed the one that did not have melted caps and then mounted this network in one of the cabs I'm using. Currently the baffle is just press fit into the cab, and the baffle is unpainted, but I'll snap a pic with my webcam later today and post it. It is rough and ugly as it is, but certainly representative of what it will look like when completed. Then I'll use that shot to change my avatar with. :)

05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Final mockup with the stock 3113b cross in place - the good one . Some small problems - the attenuator subassembly isn't sealed at all and you can feel the air rushing around it. That gets fixed tomorrow. While playing a passage that is heavy on vocals (Amy Li [Evanescence] doing scales), my LE5 seemed to be distorted. Only during one portion though. I'll swap the LE5 - I almost hope it's the cross. Damn hard to attach the wire to the 066 with the subenclosure in place. I think I need to create some kind of connection splice so that you can connect/disconnect these wires with the woofer off, just leave a pigtail attached to the 066.